White is out.

Options
I've been a white bread eater all of my life, but now that I'm finally ready to start putting better things into my body, I'm looking to start eating a better bread. I would love to hear about what kind of bread you eat. Whole wheat? Whole grain? Multigrain? What is the best for you? Share your favorite brand/type below, please!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Great Harvest Breads Honey Whole Wheat. The ingredients are fresh ground whole wheat, yeast, honey and water. It tastes great and you can pick it up fresh baked daily in Meridian or Boise.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Currently enjoying Aunt Millie's 35-calorie-per-slice whole grain bread.
  • AliSmith2915
    AliSmith2915 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So is whole wheat better than whole grain/multigrain? I have always heard that whole wheat is not nearly as beneficial for you as whole grain. But I also don't want something that tastes so yucky that I won't want to eat it. Lol.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    So is whole wheat better than whole grain/multigrain? I have always heard that whole wheat is not nearly as beneficial for you as whole grain. But I also don't want something that tastes so yucky that I won't want to eat it. Lol.

To be perfectly honest, I actually don't care. ROFL. I'm eating Aunt Millie's bread because I like the taste. :laugh:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat is better if it is actually 100% whole wheat. Sometimes labels are tricky and will state enriched wheat which isn't the same as whole wheat. That's why I buy from Great Harvest. They mill their own wheat and bake everything fresh there.
  • AliSmith2915
    Options

To be perfectly honest, I actually don't care. ROFL. I'm eating Aunt Millie's bread because I like the taste. :laugh:

Oh I totally get it! Lol. I just really want to try putting the best things in my body that I possibly can WHEN possible. If I were to try the best for me and I absolutely hated it, then I wouldn't eat it, plain and simple. But I'm definitely willing to try anything once. :)
  • AliSmith2915
    Options
    Whole wheat is better if it is actually 100% whole wheat. Sometimes labels are tricky and will state enriched wheat which isn't the same as whole wheat. That's why I buy from Great Harvest. They mill their own wheat and bake everything fresh there.

Thanks! I'll definitely give it a try! :)
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I like to buy breads from our local bakeries....................love a good caraway rye, marbled rye, oatmeal breads..........anything with good texture and body. A deep dark pumpernickel or a slightly-sweet whole grain..........nummy!

I still eat white bread on occasion - breads like Italian white and that nummy English Muffin bread (our local supermarket chain makes an AWESOME muffin bread!)

I'll never give up bread...............and am so thankful I don't have a gluten or wheat problem!
  • mama2mila
    Options
    I've done research and bought everything, and could not find a favorite until I found sprouted grain, which is better for you than "whole wheat" or "multi-grain." I've tried Ezekial bread, and just bought a loaf of Genesis. I LOVE the Genesis!! Its in the frozen organic section of your grocery store.... a little expensive, but I keep mine in the freezer and take out slices as I wish. Fabulous toasted with peanut butter!
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    I love Country Harvest Twelve Grain, it's very hearty and it tastes good. It's better than any other brown bread I've tried.
  • AliSmith2915
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions! Now I have some options to go forth with. :) Eventually I want to try to cut almost all bread from my diet, but I know that will be a weaning process for me. :) Could take a few weeks...er....years. :) Haha.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm eating a homemade calzone made with frozen white bread dough and Scimeca's italian sausage. :tongue:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with white bread? Low calorie, decent nutrition. Only advantage whole grain breads have is fiber, and if you get enough fiber in your diet anyway (eat veggies) then there's no reason to change bread.

Not to mention, the whole wheat and whole grain breads have much worse bioavailability of the actual nutrients in the bread, due to human inability to digest and extract the nutrients from whole wheat hulls, so I don't see many good reasons to replace one with the other, beyond taste preference. Sprouted grains I'm not sold on, because once most plants reproduce and sprout, they lose a lot of their health benefits, not to mention the changes in flavor.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Arnold's makes some very good whole wheat and multigrain breads.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have a dream, that one day bodyweight will be determined not by the color of the carbs, but by the content of the calories. I have a dream today.
  • healthychanges1
    Options
    I love Arnold Health Full 10 Grain. 5g fiber, 5g protein per 80 calorie slice. Plus it's still so yummy!
  • healthychanges1
    Options
    I have a dream, that one day bodyweight will be determined not my the color of the carbs, but by the content of the calories. I have a dream today.

Hahahah!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I just want low calories in my wheat bread. Healthy Life 35-40 calorie wheat bread and recently stuck on Wonder Smart wheat! 50 calories a slice means I get to put more on the bread!
  • AliSmith2915
    Options
    What's wrong with white bread? Low calorie, decent nutrition. Only advantage whole grain breads have is fiber, and if you get enough fiber in your diet anyway (eat veggies) then there's no reason to change bread.

Not to mention, the whole wheat and whole grain breads have much worse bioavailability of the actual nutrients in the bread, due to human inability to digest and extract the nutrients from whole wheat hulls, so I don't see many good reasons to replace one with the other, beyond taste preference. Sprouted grains I'm not sold on, because once most plants reproduce and sprout, they lose a lot of their health benefits, not to mention the changes in flavor.

See, shows how much I know! :) I guess because I've just always believed white flour isn't as healthy. I don't know. haha.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I love Arnold Health Full 10 Grain. 5g fiber, 5g protein per 80 calorie slice. Plus it's still so yummy!

me toooooooooo!!!