20 lbs in one day...please help

Options
So yesterday morning I weighed myself on two scales. One said 243 and the other said 244. I got home last night and exercised and I weighed myself again and the scales said 265 and I weighed myself this morning it said the same 265 lbs. I'm so confused and kind of discouraged- not enough to stop trying to lose weight though. I know I do gain water weight but it's never been more than 5 pounds. I have been exercising 6 days a week doing the 30 day shred and eating less than 1300 calories and watching my carbs. I didn't even know it was possible to gain 20 lbs of water or weight in one day. I'm getting discouraged. I don't even know why I bought a scale. I can tell I'm losing weight because I look smaller and two people noticed at work. But I want to have an accurate weight so that I can properly track my progress. Does anyone know how/why this would happen?

Replies

• lifescircle
    Options
    First... don't put all your eggs in that basket. The fit of your clothes tell a better story.
    Secondly, weighing twice a day like that could easily discourage you. Weigh once, if you want to weigh daily, first thing in the morning, without clothes.

And lastly, did you move the scale? Is it on a flat surface? What were you wearing each time you weighed in?
  • tmoore_20
    tmoore_20 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I first weighed it was in the bathroom with no clothes and the second time it was in my room, the floor is carpeted but relatively flat haha. You are right about not weighing twice a day. I actually bought the scale saying I promised that I would only weigh once every 30 days...I should have kept that promise.
  • sweetage123
    sweetage123 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you place the scale on carpet its going to give you a different reading. Try placing it on flat ground again and see what happens :)
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Yeah, one of the weigh-ins was incorrect. It's pretty much impossible to lose or gain 20 lbs. in a day short of cutting off an arm. Weigh in the exact same spot all the time, and the floor should not be carpeted or you'll get an inaccurate reading.
  • JVonni
    JVonni Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Putting a scale on carpet (flat surface or not) will definitely change the results! Don't be so hard on yourself :smile:
  • tlonie
    tlonie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It is probably the carpet. The scale needs to be on a flat surface.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    NEVER put your scale on carpet to weigh.
  • brendddda
    Options
    Two different scales? Then one of them is likely wrong. My bathroom scale says I'm 140 but I know for a fact that I'm 127 (doctors visits, etc).
  • wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    You have to weigh on a hard flat surface. If you weigh on carpet, it wont be accurate. If you weigh on an uneven surface, it wont be accurate. It isnt possible to gain 20lbs in one day. I weigh myself a lot, but i also measure myself which is what i really rely on and not the scale.

Good luck
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Does your scale take batteries? If it does, I would start by changing them.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I don't believe 20lbs difference in one day is even possible, it's more likely to be a problem with the scales. Why not weigh on the machine at your local gym or pharmacy and trust that rather than a domestic scale? My home scales are all over the place but never accurate!
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    you need to have your scale on a flat hard surface and keep it in one place only. Never put it on a carpet.

If you move it the reading will change.

also you should only weigh yourself in the same situation at the same time of day.

EG right in the morning in the buff.

If you weight after eating all day and wearing clothes and working out, its gonna give a wildly different reading.

Be as consistent as possible on the conditions to get a more consistent measure.
  • bellabijou
    bellabijou Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Oh well no wonder - its the carpet. It will always give you a different reading! Never use a scale on carpeted floor, always on a hard surface.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    water weight ? I say go see a doc.
  • tmoore_20
    tmoore_20 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You guys make me feel better! But I am NOT going to go home and weigh myself again, because I know how I am.
  • karenlquiroz
    Options
    That's why they say to weigh ONLY on ONE scale. Scales are set differently, so only use the same scale, cut back on weighing yourself so often, and no carpet! :happy:
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    its not just that scales need to be on a FLAT surface, they need to be on a HARD surface - laminate flooring, lino etc
    carpet is flat, but not hard.....
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    The carpet is the problem. I once weighed myself on carpet just to see what the scale said and it read about 100 pounds less than I actually was. It would have been nice if it was true, but not so much.
  • barmum
    barmum Posts: 73
    Options
    I think there's several things that affect weight readings ,
    1- time of day
    2-clothes
    3-accuracy of scales (hence why I've asked the nurse at my local surgery to weigh me )
    4 - Time of month for ladies !!

But overall I'd say yes weigh yourself in the same place x Carpet was probably the culprit
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    the scale is often a dirty liar.. they can be mis calibrated.. and bodyweight fluctuates naturally depending on many factors ( water retention, soduim, TOM etc) like the others have said, body fat% , clothing fit, and how you feel are much more important