ground turkey recipes

Options

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,999 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing...I love using turkey for burritos, tacos, chili, taco salad, turkey loaf, etc
  • missbrittany23
    missbrittany23 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    great soup idea:)
  • Dawn793
    Dawn793 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jospowell1
    jospowell1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    made a veggie lasagna with it.

Layer peeled and thinly sliced zucchini with
    ground turkey (seasoned with Italian seasoning)
    low or nonfat cottage cheese
    spaghetti sauce of your choice.
    Keep layering until pan is full. Top with low fat mozzarella.
    The zucchini cooks down to a very soft almost noodle like feel and absorbs the taste of the spaghetti sauce, so you can really fool your taste buds.

I love ground turkey in anything with a tomato based sauce.
    Maybe I'll do ground turkey and black bean tacos tonight. :)
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Use it in place of where you'd use ground pork or ground beef!

I make turkey burgers all the time, here's my "famous" recipe (as my family calls it)

- 2 lbs of lean ground turkey
    -1 jalapeno, finely diced
    -2 small shallots, finely diced
    -2 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar
    -1 cup of panko (or more depending on egg consistency)
    -2 free-range full eggs, OR 2 regular egg yolks
    -1 cup of dried parsley

Thoroughly mix everything up, flatten into patties (put thumb print in the middle to prevent ball-burgers), and grill on medium heat on the bbq, flipping every 3 minutes until no pink is showing once burger split open.

Mmmm so good. I usually make a GIANT batch, and freeze what I don't fry up. Making a bunch tonight for the weekend!!

I also use ground turkey for my chilis, burritos, tacos, spaghetti sauces, ^ burger recipe formed into tiny meatballs for pastas or subs, crumbled with tex-mex spices on top of homemade flatbread pizzas....endless possibilities!

Enjoy :)

ETA: I've had THE most delicious lasagnas made with turkey/chicken, too!!
  • AuburnGirl2001
    AuburnGirl2001 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    What are sloppy joes? They sound a bit strange to us in the UK but I bet they are good? Can I have a recipe please?
    Take ground meat, cook it up, and mix in brown sugar and ketchup. Put on a bun with some yellow mustard and go to town. That's the sloppy joes I was raised on.
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Bah, all of you people using ground turkey in your spaghetti. Get some turkey Italian sausage, cut it up, cook it in a skillet, then throw on the spaghetti once it is done. Soooo good.
  • Reesecup312
    Reesecup312 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    bump
  • missbrittany23
    missbrittany23 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Seriously Good Sante Fe Soup
    4oz 2% Velveeta (from a 1lb package)
    1 can No-salt added Corn (undrained)
    1 can kidney beans (undrained)
    1 can diced tomatoes (I like the ones with peppers or onion)
    1 can stewed tomatoes (We don't like the big tomatoes, so I put them in the food processor)
    1 packet Lawry's taco seasoning (low sodium, but not labeled that way)
    1/2 lb cooked ground lean turkey

Crock pot on low for 3-4 hours.
    Serve with low-sodium Fritos or tortilla chips.

Makes 3 big servings, 486 cal each. (not including chips)

thanks for the idea i must try this it sounds so good :)
  • cindergirl73
    Options
    Ground turkey goulash....

1.33 lb. package ground turkey
    14. oz box Smart Taste by Ronzoni elbow mac (cooked al dente)
    8 oz. light sour cream
    1 can chicken broth
    1 med. onion, diced
    2-3 cloved garlic, diced
    fresh dill, about 4 tbsp.
    1 tsp. pepper
    2 tsp. salt
    2 Tbsp. paprika
    1 tsp. cumin
    1 tsp. marjoram

Cook noodles al dente (about 6 min., as they will soften further later).
    In large pot, cook ground turkey until no longer pink, add onion and garlic and cook for about 5 min. till softened. Add spices and cook another couple minutes. Then add chicken broth and sour cream. Cook about 5 min. Finally add noodles and dill.
  • MySunshine76
    Options
    You've never had a sloppy joe!?!?!? You poor deprived human being. We always brown hamburger meat (turkey if you're going lighter) Drain, add in some ketchup some stewed tomatoes and onions, and a little garlic. Toast you a bun, slap you a gob of your mix on top and go to sloppy joe heaven!
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    From Reader's Digest

These burgers are SO good! You can mix them, make them into patties and freeze, or go ahead and cook them first, and freeze.

Ingredients:
    8 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, halved
    ¼ cup 0% Greek yogurt
    2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    1 ¼ pounds 93% lean ground turkey
    2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
    ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
    ¼ teaspoon black pepper
    ¼ cup no-salt-added tomato paste

Directions:
    1) In a food processor, combine the mushrooms, yogurt, and garlic and pulse until the mushrooms are finely chopped.
    2) In a large bowl, combine the mushroom mixture, turkey, mustard, salt, and pepper until well mixed. Shape the meat into 4 compact patties about 5 inches across.
    3) Preheat the broiler. Broil the burgers 4 inches from the heat, turning over once, until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
    4) Spread 1 tablespoon tomato paste over each burger and broil for 2 to 3 minutes to glaze.

(These can also, of course, be grilled)

Per Serving: 241 calories / 31g protein / 10g fat (3g saturated) / 1g fiber / 35mg calcium / 4mg vitamin C / 7g carbs / 448mg sodium
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    found from the AB diet : Turkey Chili - super easy and fast !!

1 pd ground turkey - brown in skillet, then add rest and simmer

1 can diced tomatoes ( i use the chili ones)
    1 can black beans
    1 can of corn, or a cup or 2 of frozen
    2 tsp of flax
    2 tsp of chili seasoning ( or less or more depending on taste )

great protein!!!
  • LaurieInRose
    Options
    This is a yummy meatloaf recipe that my friend Nora gave me... I made some changes to it and up the 'spice' a bit. I love this, and because of your post, I think I will make it this weekend!

Nora’s Spinach Turkey Loaf ala Laurie

1 package ground Turkey
    1 C salsa
    2 t Worcestershire sauce
    ½ C dry bread crumbs
    1 C finely chopped onion – divided
    1 slightly beaten egg white
    2 T Italian seasoning – divided
    2 T minced garlic – divided
    1 7 ounce can chopped green chiles
    1 4 ounce can chopped green chiles
    2 9 ounce packages of frozen chopped spinach – thawed and well drained

-- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
    -- Blend salsa and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl. Separate 1/3 C of the salsa and put aside for top of loaf.
    -- Combine turkey, 2/3 C salsa, ¾ C chopped onion, 1 T Italian seasoning, egg white, bread crumbs, 7 ounce can of chiles and 1 T garlic in a bowl. Mix well.
    -- Combine spinach, ¼ C chopped onion, 1 T Italian seasoning, 1 T garlic and 4 ounce can of chiles in a bowl. Mix well.
    -- On foil, lay out the meat mixture into a 12x8 rectangle (or as wide as your pan will handle). Put the spinach mixture on top of the meat mixture.
    -- Roll up the rectangle tightly, starting with the short end. Put it in the loaf pan, seam side down. Press the ends to seal if possible.
    -- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until the turkey is browned, and internal temperature is at least 145 degrees.
    -- Top with the remaining salsa.
  • healthychanges1
    Options
    Turkey chili!
    Basically just mix black beans, kidney beans, corn, tomato paste, and chunked tomatoes with ground turkey, add some chopped onion and season to taste.

Or turkey meat sauce, like regular bolognese but just make with the ground turkey and a smaller serving of whole wheat pasta.

Or turkey tacos/taco salad.

You can try homemade turkey burgers or turkey meatballs.

I don't eat red meat so my mom has changed her normal ground beef into ones that I can eat :). Experiment!
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bump for future
  • mirasmom02
    Options
    First of all, let me tell you that I have been feeding ground turkey to my family for a Looooooong time (started because of health reasons & continued because of cost). Secondly, be CAREFUL!!! Some of those pkgs of ground turkey have just as much, if not MORE, fat than the ground beef! READ YOUR LABELS! Anyhow, now I can tell you I have tried a ton of recipes! Some people may tell you that you can substitute it in ANY recipe that calls for ground beef...I personally don't agree. I do use it in any recipe that says to brown the meat, like in crumbles (i.e. tacos & meat sauce for spaghetti, like you mentioned...but also sloppy joes, chili, casseroles, enchiladas, soups, etc. I also make hamburger helper with it...I know, not the healthiest but if you serve it with a salad & a steamed vegetable, you can keep the portions under control). I do not recomend it for meatloaf, meatballs, burgers, etc.
    HOWEVER, I did come up with a little trick that I use. Every 4-6 weeks, I stock up on it. I buy 4 of the (refrigerated, not frozen) 90/10 turkey in the 20 oz pkgs & a 2lb pkg of 85/15 ground beef. Then I bust out the food scale. It only takes a few minutes and its well worth it! I measure out 10 oz of gr. turkey & 3 oz of gr. beef, put it in a freezer bag & freeze. I have it all prtioned out for any recipe that calls for a pound of ground beef. And YES, for the math gurus out there, that is only 13oz of meat, but you do not even notice the difference, and you're saving calorie/fat in the recipe. Plus, that lil bit of beef, gives it more flavor so nobody can even tell its mostly turkey. I end up with 8 pkgs when I'm all done. That's 2 meals a week for the whole month (and it cost me about $18 which comes out to $2.25 per meal - can't beat that!)
    Okay....You math gurus have probably also figured out that I didn't use all of the beef. By only putting 3 oz in each pkg, I always have 8 oz left when I'm done. I label that "8 oz all beef" and use that, along with 1 pkg of my "special mix" and a buch of shredded veggies when I make a meatloaf.
    Hope this helps - took me a few years to "tweak" my system, but I swear by it!
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Tagging for future reference