My humps

Options
I think a little bit of empathy can go a long way. I know I am not the only one out there like this but it would really help to hear it. I'm such a yo-yoer. I am on the diet and exercise kick, I lose weight, I get off the diet and exercise kick, I gain weight. The pathetic part is, the weight falls off really fast too but I just can't get myself to continue on. I lost 6 lbs. in two weeks and I've been maintaining that loss for now, but if history repeats itself, I'm going to gain those 6 lbs. right back and have to start all over again.

What do you guys do, or what have you done to push through the hump? I know this is so "woe is me" but it is really inspirational to know that I'm not alone.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Not what I was expecting this post to be about.
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Haha threw you for a loop eh? I thought I was being creative :)
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I lose then gain back 3-4lbs, that's where I am right now. The problem is that I usually gain that weight back when I'm on vacation and NOT working out 5-6days a week. So I guess I just have to jump back in and start kicking my own butt again! Hope we can both get over the hump!
  • damionruns
    damionruns Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • kzcortes
    kzcortes Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Anyone else think of that Black Eye Peas/Fergie song?

Just keep it up! Build a strong network of supportive friends around you.
  • Deluxe97
    Deluxe97 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are a little extreme when you are "on". Try to make changes that you can stick with. If you think of it as a "diet" or exercise kick, you are more like to think "weight is off...I can stop now". Try to think of it more as a lifestyle change, not a temporary phase. Wish I could offer better advice, but that's all I have with what you've posted. Don't be so hard on yourself and don't give up.
  • happypath101
    Options
    My problem is that the weight comes off really, really slowly but piles on fast. Sometimes it's very discouraging. Try to measure yourself with a tape instead of the scale. Also, set yourself rewards for meeting goals, e.g. a pair of $50 earrings I'm covetting when my belly measurement gets to a certain point. I've even gone so far as to make myself motivational arts&crafts projects - e.g. cut and paste the old fashioned way from a magazine, make a collage and hang it on your fridge. Most of all, be kind to yourself.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Anyone else think of that Black Eye Peas/Fergie song?

Just keep it up! Build a strong network of supportive friends around you.

yes- & now it's going round my head!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    My lovely lady lumps!
  • stacdjen
    stacdjen Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    First off your wedding profile picture is gorgeous!!
    In response to your post - I know your not alone but for me I had to look at this journey as a lifestyle change not a diet. I enjoy working out, when I don't basically I feel like crap. I hate rest days. Stick with it and you will get over that "hump"
  • misskatibear
    misskatibear Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've been in the same position as you since I was about 19. Back and forth, yo-yo dieting and exercising. Feeling REALLY MOTIVATED and EAGER and put all my heart and soul into it, thought to myself each time THIS IS IT NOW, THIS IS MY LIFE - I'LL NEVER STOP.

Big mistake. I always gave up in the end, I always did too much, too fast and of course, I got bored with it.

This time around. I'm being honest with myself. I've said these things to myself

1. I know that I give up on things easily, and there is a possibility that I may give up.
    2. Results do not come quickly, no matter how discouraged I am about my size/weight loss, at least I'm getting HEALTHIER
    3. I know I go through fads all the time, with EVERYTHING in life, I always think I'm going to do it forever, and I never seem to.
    4. Don't take this too seriously - don't let it consume me. Have this 'whatever' attitude. 'Yeah whatever, going to do an hour cardio, whatever...it's nothing' THAT kind of attitude, don't make a big deal out of it.

I'm really terrible at sticking to anything - the worst. I just had to admit it to myself this time around - Since nothing else seemed to work.

And guess what. My god damn goodness, tomorrow is my last day of the 30 Day Shred. 30 days (plus more prior to the 30) of almost non-stop exercise with 5 days rest. I cannot believe it. Being honest with myself seems to have actually worked!

I also want to share how I started to get myself into exercise - because I didn't really want to do it (eating healthy I can handle, it's a piece of cake for me since I love healthy food)....but exercise was tricky.

So I started off with something FUN. I used a dancemat, and did that for an hour each day. Then I got into stationary biking, then I moved onto the 30 Day shred, because after the dancemat...I kinda felt drawn into exercising more, and pushing myself more.

Make things fun - Don't put too much stress on your mind about trying to do everything ever all at once. Do things gradual and you'll start to find your body wants and craves these things.

Good luck, I know it's hard but this is the rest of your life. Your body deserves to be loved!