20 lbs in one day...please help

Options
13»

Replies

• MaybeAMonkey
    Options
    20 lbs in one day is not a weight gain I think is possible for most people (if any!). If your scale takes batteries then you should check them. Also, the scale should be on a HARD flat level surface, not carpet. If you're wanting to check the accuracy of your scale take your hand weights (assuming you have some) and weigh those to see if your scale is correct. Because my scale is battery operated I periodically check the accuracy it this way using my two 5 lbs hand weights and my two 3 lbs hand weights, so if the scale doesn't say 16 lbs when those four weights are on it then I know something's wrong. Good luck!
  • illuria
    illuria Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I knew there was a good reason why I do not have any carpets in my apartment :bigsmile:
  • dove61k
    dove61k Posts: 1
    Options
    Please dont weigh yourself at night time..I know..the numbers move on the scale but in the opposite direction. Not in a good way. But during the day you acculumate water weight hence weighing more during the night than the day. To get an accurate weight on the scale, weigh yourself in the moring and after you go to the bathroom. Weigh yourself once a week and at the same time. If your exercising, its gonna take a little while before you see any improvements on the scale. But you will!! Stick to myfitnesspal and document everything. Even a chip... :) which you shouldnt eat but you know we all cheat a little :) If your lifting weights, remember muscle weighs more than fat. We all are in the same boat and our boat will not sink! Keep chin up and keep striving. :)
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Never place your scale on a carpet, it messes up the readings! A HARD FLOOR is the best!
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    Check the batteries too! My scale started acting like a poltorgeist when the batteries were getting low. I would probably have become a nutcase if I didn't figure out the issue.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    It's the carpet! You should weigh yourself on a hard flat surface (bathroom). TRY to just weigh once a week. I know it's hard though. Remember too that us women tend to flucuate at certain times of the month too.

Hang in there!:flowerforyou:
  • Kazenouta
    Options
    If your scale is still telling you that you've gained 20 lbs in a day after moving it to a flat, level surface then I'd really go see your doctor. It is possible to gain that much weight in a day if your body is not getting rid of water/regulating it properly
  • letscallitsteven
    letscallitsteven Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't weigh yourself every day, there's really no need as your weight can go up and down depending on things like water and glycogen levels.

As has been said the reason for 20lbs gain is your carpet, just weighed myself on a wooden floor and then the carpet in another room and I gained 15lbs in the space of 30 seconds.
  • pataroo1
    Options
    I would buy a new scale!!!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It's definitely the carpet. After reading this thread I decided to try it out of curiosity - weighed myself at my usual spot (scale on a hardwood floor), then moved the scale onto carpet in the next room. On the carpet, the scale read 21 lbs. lighter than it did on the hardwood floor.

If you want any kind of consistency, weigh yourself on the same scale, at the same location (on a solid, firm, hard surface), wearing the same clothes (or lack thereof) at the same time of day. Anything else is going to yield inconsistent results that aren't worth a thing as data points.
  • jvelko
    jvelko Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi I just kinda was searching around and saw your post. I am 50 years old and have been on and off programs most of my life and at one time start of 2003 I weighted 265 so I know what that feels like I lost about 80lbs over a period of a year or two have kept most of it off but gained back about 22 lbs and was miserable sorry I am sure you didnt want my story but I wanted to tell you that I think you may not be eating enough food. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat so you really do need to measure. I am a firm beleiver in weighing evryday some people think that is to much but please dont weigh at different times of the day. Chose a time and stick to it and if you eat something high in salt or fall off plan dont weigh give it a day or two. Also you cant get ac acurrate wieght on carpet of any kind it need to be a flat surface. Anyway I am back on track have lost 15 lbs but want to go for about 20 more. Good Luck to you and dont get discouraged and make sure you are eating enough!
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    First thing - dont use multiple scales. Use oen and stick with it. Even if that one is off a bit when you lose it will show that loss accurately even if the actual number is off.

Second - take measurements and also check teh fit of your clothes as additional measurments. I haven;t been losing as much in pounds recently as I have in inches....

Third - Hang in there honey! Consistant work WILL pay off - just try to be patient.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Either the scales you stepped on were really poorly calibrated, or you have some sort of crazy medical condition and should probably go see a doctor. But for now, test your scales :) That is probably all it was.
  • mushfroom012
    Options
    don't weigh yourself at the end of the day! your weight fluctuates throughout the day and this can make you freak out. I recommend weighing yourself each morning before breakfast - your true weight.