Working out in the morning, afternoon, or at night...?

Options
2»

Replies

• anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have to do mine 1st thing in the morning. I really mean "1st thing"--If I turn on the TV or get the newspaper, the chances of the workout happening goes down every minute. I'm an early riser, so I'm still done by 7 or so. If I'm bored at night, I occasionally do some additional cardio; but rarely more than once or twice/week.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning workout girl. Except when my schedule demands that I can't, then sometimes I workout in the afternoon or evening.

I truly believe it makes very little (if any) difference from a metabolic/weight loss perspective.

That said, if one time of day is easier for you to stick with, then that's a huge benefit to working out at that time. Like for me, I work out in the morning and have made it a habit, because I know that after I work all day and take care of the house, mail, kids, dog, etc., I would be too tempted to make excuses later in the day.

Plus, knowing how many calories I've actually burned, and can eat, helps me with meal planning. If I planned an evening workout, estimated the calories, then couldn't do the workout for one reason/excuse or another, then I'd be going over my calories. A lot.
  • adriensmommy88
    adriensmommy88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, It is so hard to wake up in the mornings.
    Def, workout at night, it doesn't make a difference as long as you burn. :):flowerforyou:
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Night. Because of the Olympics, I don't even get started until midnight these days. Sleep is definitely suffering.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I do a light cardio session in the morning (usually only about 30 minutes) before work. And then do my intense workout after work in the afternoon. On off days from work I usually just work-out whenever I feel like it, might be 8AM might be 3PM -- usually earlier rather than later though.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    When do you work out? What do you prefer? Do you think it makes a difference?

I work out in the afternoon, but prefer a morning work out (I do this on the weekends when work is not in the way). Buuut, does it make a difference, truly? What are your thoughts?

I work out right after work. I have to be at work at 7:30am and I already get up earlier than I want to so mornings are out! I like it though, because when my workout is over I can relax and have dinner and go for a walk with the dog and bf or whatever. I work out late mornings on the weekends. It works for me.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I heard about a study where they found that if you consistently workout at the same time every day your body will release testosterone and other hormones around that time every day in preparation for your workout, so the best time is the same time, whenever that may be. Personally, I prefer the afternoon but I am trying to switch to the morning (this may explain why I'm struggling!). I couldn't find the study for you, sorry.

Whoa! This is an interesting theory. I was wondering why I used to be better at working out in the evening, but now that I've switched to mornings, those occasional evening work outs are a real struggle.

To answer the OP, I do my best work in the mornings and this seems to help keep my sleep regulated, but I've never read anything credible that suggests a correlation between time of day and weight loss where exercise is concerned.
  • 4aFitTina
    Options
    If I workout at night, i can't sleep. It pumps me up too much. So I workout in the morning. Also, I like to know it's out of the way.
    (except for fridays when i have softball... at 9:30pm)
  • kimmae17
    kimmae17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning before work - i am a social worker and i have no control of what time i get out of work so id rarely make it to the gym after work. years ago i would have never imagined id be able to get up so early to work out. but you get used to it. its my "me time". I think anytime of day is fine, just stick with whats works for you !
  • jzsor12
    jzsor12 Posts: 69
    Options
    I workout at night, I'm a student and college isn't open so I'm sleeping in.