Zumba Workout - how many calories burnt?

Options
Couldn't find Zumba under the exercise search function so used dancing, aerobics at 318 calories for 60 minutes. Is this the best way of doing it?
Thanks.

Replies

• TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure,...would like to know aswell!!! i do zumba on my xbox,...and log it the same way.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I have been taking zumba for 30-35 minutes three days a week in a class since February, I push hard and the most I have burned during that period is 238 cals per my HRM. I'm upset because the instructor has made up all new routines in the past two weeks and I am now only burning around 113 cals for that same time frame because the dances are nothing but walking, body rolls and hip movement. To gauge your calorie burn, I'd recommend wearing an HRM because it's going to be very different from person to person, based on your weight, age and how hard you work out, and what the dances are.
  • icesk8ermom
    icesk8ermom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    OK, everyone burns calories differently based on age, weight and height. MFP uses the information you entered to calculate an estimate of what you are burning.

For me I used general aerobics and according to MFP I should burn 484 calories. Not wanting to overestimate I lowered mine to 350. However, I just purchased a HRM (polar T4) and I burned 511 calories in 75 minutes which includes my stretching I do before and after. So 484 in my opinion is pretty accurate. Keep in mind your calories burned will vary depending has much effort you put into going the exercise which I know mine does.

I am 43, 5'3" and weigh 165; female
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Google Zumba calories. You will find a great calculator!!!
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    like every exercise, it's completely different for everyone. we need to know how hard you were going, your height weight and gender and for how long. especially something like zumba where its different each time.

the best thing you can do is get a heart rate monitor to find out how much you are burning.

i am 5 foot 7, 22 yo female at 183lbs and i try and work harder than the instructor is going for the hour session and i burn 540 calories.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what I burn. I'm 5'5" and 165 lbs. I push hard and sweat a LOT! In an hour class I burn between 550-620 calories.

You should get a heart rate monitor- the best purchase ever! I have a Polar F4 and I love it!
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I think this is because there are so many variables - your weight, age and gender as well as the intensity of the instructors workout as well as how much effort you put in.... My Thursday night instructor is way more intense than my Tuesaday night instructor - I am sure there is a big difference in calorie burn between the two. The best way to tell is to get a HRM .... I just got mine yesterday and paln to wear it to Zumba tonight to test it out!
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    I used my HRM.. i usally go between 700-899 for 60 mins
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Google Zumba calories. You will find a great calculator!!!
    ^^THIS^^ And sometimes my classes vary so I put Zumba for Med intensity and if it was higher intensity I add 5 more min and if it was less I deduct 5 mins from my already 10min less than class until I get an HRM :)
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    www.caloriesburnedhq.com/
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    www.zumbacalories.com
  • icesk8ermom
    Options
    I have been taking zumba for 30-35 minutes three days a week in a class since February, I push hard and the most I have burned during that period is 238 cals per my HRM. I'm upset because the instructor has made up all new routines in the past two weeks and I am now only burning around 113 cals for that same time frame because the dances are nothing but walking, body rolls and hip movement. To gauge your calorie burn, I'd recommend wearing an HRM because it's going to be very different from person to person, based on your weight, age and how hard you work out, and what the dances are.

It must be that time....my classes have all changed the routines as well. I have seen my calories burned go down as well because I am lost and have to stop more to figure out what is going on. I have CRD (Caucasian Rhythm Dysfunction) so I have to really pay attention. If you’re not struggling try to add more pep into what you are doing , lift your legs higher, add bounce to the "walking" part add turns where you can to add more movement etc. Be patient I have noticed that it is an adjustment period for the instructor as they try to remember what they are doing as well. Once they get in their groove it may kick up a bit.
  • sharpeoplepc
    sharpeoplepc Posts: 84 Member
    Options

This! I recommend a heart rate monitor too. I take three Zumba classes a week and I burn 350-500 calories per hour depending on how I push myself and the routines.
  • angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I use my bodybugg for an hour of zumba and it says around 400 calories. I know it is different for everyone but this is what I do. Some other people with bodybugg said in that same time they burn like 800 calories so the only real way to know for you is a HRM or bodybugg :) I think 350-400 would be a safe number though
  • chaoticupheaval
    chaoticupheaval Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    we wore one of those pedometers that tells how many calories you burn....during a one hour workout...it showed 999 calories burned.
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba on the Wii and can't recall where I found this info (I struggle every time I need to add a new exercise finding calories burned!) but I use 498 calories for a 45 minute intermediate workout! I do not believe the site I used for this calculated in my personal info but I am 52, 5'7", and currently weigh 184. Hope this helps!
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My Zumba class goes hard core the whole hour, so I use Aerobics, high impact. It is all in how you push yourself, or you can make your own exercise and get an HRM. As long as you are honest with yourself on how hard you worked, you will be fine.
  • icesk8ermom
    Options
    we wore one of those pedometers that tells how many calories you burn....during a one hour workout...it showed 999 calories burned.

This is very high; it certainly doesn't sound correct. How long was your class?
  • mboyce11
    Options
    I wear a HRM and depending on the instructor and day I go, I burn between 800-1200 calories. The classes are either 60 or 90 minutes. I am 29 and weigh 120lbs.