WHY DO PEOPLE EAT BACK THEIR EXERCISE CALS?!

Options

Replies

• nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I eat half to all of mine back and lose just fine.

The reason I exercise is so I can eat more and still lose.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    So since my BMR is like 1700 cal and i want to burn 2lbs a week, i need a defecit of 7000 cals a week (-1000 a day).

So, MFP sets my food at 1200 (-500 so far) and then i need to burn 500 more a day to meet that -7000 cal a week.

So why would I eat it back?!?
    Your deficit should come from your TDEE, not your BMR. If your BMR is 1700, a sedentary TDEE is 2040, so your deficit at 1200 cals is actually 840 cals, not 500. And most people have higher TDEE's than truly sedentary.

How do I get my TDEE?

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

Use the Military Body Fat Calculator to get your body fat %.
    Then use the BMR calculator.
    It will give you a chart. Pick your activity level, eat that amount of calories and don't eat back your exercise calories.
  • Cherryblosm3
    Cherryblosm3 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is 1700, and if all you do is lie in bed, that is what you need to survive. NOW, if you want to walk, talk, eat or do any other activity, you need more calories. MFP takes your activity level into consideration as well. which is why you do not see your calories at 700 it adds your activity level to the 1700 and then substracts your 1000 per day (which is really to much in my opion). If you exercise on top of that, you are creating a very drastic calorie deficit.

Too much? Everyone says 1.5-2lb loss a week is healthy right?? That a deficit of 7000 cals.. The only way to achieve that is -1000 a day (or other unhealthy ways). If its a "dangerous" deficit, why does MFP condone 1.5-2lbs a week>?
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    On another site I use, my cals are set between 1200-1500, so eat anywhere in that range. Exercise cals aren't eaten back, that's why you have that range to begin with I guess.

I've always thought that as long as your daily deficit doesn't exceed 1000 then it's okay, and not unhealthy, and don't eat below 1200.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    Your BMR is 1700, and if all you do is lie in bed, that is what you need to survive. NOW, if you want to walk, talk, eat or do any other activity, you need more calories. MFP takes your activity level into consideration as well. which is why you do not see your calories at 700 it adds your activity level to the 1700 and then substracts your 1000 per day (which is really to much in my opion). If you exercise on top of that, you are creating a very drastic calorie deficit.

Too much? Everyone says 1.5-2lb loss a week is healthy right?? That a deficit of 7000 cals.. The only way to achieve that is -1000 a day (or other unhealthy ways). If its a "dangerous" deficit, why does MFP condone 1.5-2lbs a week>?

It doesn't really. Notice it tells you it is RECOMMENDED to do the 1 pound per week. If you don't have a lot to lose (probably less than 50 pounds) anything more than a pound a week is a lot to maintain.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

2 pounds a week is fine if you have more than 75 pounds to lose. Someone with that much to lose has enough excess body fat to support a larger calorie deficit. You don't.
  • rhe280
    rhe280 Posts: 71
    Options
    Because MFP already figures in a reasonable to high calorie deficit when you choose your weight loss goals. If you are shooting to lose 2lbs/wk, and you don't eat back exercise calories, your deficit becomes higher than well established safe limits. You can only lose so much fat in a day, so pushing the boundaries means your additional weight loss beyond a reasonable deficit is going to come from your muscle mass. Not a good choice.

NOT TRUE, you won't start using muscle until your below 6% body fat.

this
  • jessica0danielle
    jessica0danielle Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i feel the way u do, im not going to exercise and then eat back those calories..
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    THERE IS NO NEED TO SHOUT!!!!???!

Because MFP already includes a calorie deficit based on you being sedentary.
    Simples.

That being said, I burn about 500cal a day running and I only eat about half of that back because I'm just not that hungry. But that means I can afford to go over a little on "hungry" days during the week.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    For all of the reasons stated in the thousand other threads on this exact topic.: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=myfitnesspal.com+eat+back+exercise+calories
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Not all of us want to achieve the maximum caloric deficit we can possibly maintain. Cutting more calories doesn't always mean you'll lose weight faster. Do whatever you want.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So since my BMR is like 1700 cal and i want to burn 2lbs a week, i need a defecit of 7000 cals a week (-1000 a day).

So, MFP sets my food at 1200 (-500 so far) and then i need to burn 500 more a day to meet that -7000 cal a week.

So why would I eat it back?!?

Based on this with the amount you have to lose a weekly goal of 2lbs/week is much too aggressive and you risk losing a large % of muscle instead of fat if your deficit it too large.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Because MFP already figures in a reasonable to high calorie deficit when you choose your weight loss goals. If you are shooting to lose 2lbs/wk, and you don't eat back exercise calories, your deficit becomes higher than well established safe limits. You can only lose so much fat in a day, so pushing the boundaries means your additional weight loss beyond a reasonable deficit is going to come from your muscle mass. Not a good choice.

NOT TRUE, you won't start using muscle until your below 6% body fat.

this
    To reiterate, this is absurd. See my above explanation.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Some of us don't want to lose weight, some people want to get strong...hence MyFITNESSPal and not MyWEIGHTLOSSPal. One of the benefits of exercise for me is that I get to eat more food and I can try and build some muscle.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Because if you don't eat them back it creates a deficit too large for your body to handle, which is the same thing as not working out and not eating at all. SMH... :noway:

Edited...

As one of my spin instructors once said... after working your body this hard for an entire hour you NEED to eat within 1-2 hours or your body will basically start eating itself.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Because I don't want my body to eat my muscles, so I feed it. Plus I like food, and I love eating more and weighing less.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options

If you are not eating back your exercise calories and you are set at 2 lbs per week, you are acutally on a 3 lbs per week loss plan (1000 base, plus burning 500 - 600 per day)
  • jshort152
    Options
    Obese people feel better knowing they can eat more after they workout and as long as they're still in a caloric deficit it works but it just makes people feel better about eating more for the most part.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I eat those tastey calories to fuel my exercise and give me energy so that I can do with I do better, faster, longer, stronger, more dedicated, harder, and more purposefully than last time . . . and so that I can continue to think.
  • meagh629
    Options
    Because MFP, unlike most calorie counting websites, doesn't include the exercise you SAY you'll do into your calorie goal. It doesn't matter if you say you're going to sit on your *kitten* 7 days a week, or run a marathon every day, MFP will give you the same base calories. Surely you understand that someone who exercises a lot needs more fuel than someone who doesn't?

When I just cut calories, when I believed that creating a large deficit was all it took to get the body I wanted, I lost weight, but too much of that weight was my lean body mass... my muscle. By "eating my exercise calories," I was able to maintain a moderate deficit, which allowed me to retain most of my lean mass and lose mostly body fat.

What that means in terms everyone can understand... The jeans on the bottom are the size 8 jeans I wore at 130 pounds about 5-6 years ago when I didn't eat enough, and the top pair is the size 5 jeans I'm wearing NOW, eating my exercise calories, at about 135-138 pounds. (Typically a 2 or 4 in misses.)

IMG_3265.jpg

Here's me at about 130 pounds 5-6 years ago, and me at 133 pounds in February.

five-years-later.jpg

Then I still had a muffin top, back fat rolls, double chin, and cellulite out the wazzo. Now?

IMG_4850.jpg

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore
    [/quote

WOW. That's impressive and a good reminder that it isn't always important what that scale says.]