Why I don't hate 'skinny women'

Options
I think this is such a positive article and reminds me of the MFP community. I've never seen anyone put another person down on here which I think is brilliant. I just hope other people can realise that every woman (or man) is real, no matter what type of body they have.

http://fullerfigurefullerbust.com/2012/08/08/why-i-dont-hate-skinny-women/

Replies

• abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Interesting article. I also get annoyed by the skinny bashing, and I am not even skinny.

I actually think some of the skinny bashing started off as well intentioned. I think people thought eating disorders = girls want to be scary skinny. If Scary skinny = gross, no one will want to be scary skinny, and therefore no eating disorders will exist. And naturally skinny women being told they are ugly is just unfortunate collateral damage.

Of course we all know eating disorders go way beyond wanting to look a certain way, but media images were being blamed for perpetuating unrealistic body expectations and causing eating disorders.

I know my threshold of what is too skinny is probably a lot higher than most people. My ideal body type would probably be dismissed as too skinny by a lot of people. My friends gasp in horror when I say I thought Christina Ricci looked really awesome in Black Snake Moan. They were all like, gross, she's a toothpick! A. no she wasn't, and B. if we all have different body types, why can't we all accept that we all have different standards of what we think looks good?
  • tismyhardbody
    tismyhardbody Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Really? BC i have seen tons of people put others down. Just visit a "women with muscles" thread.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    That's a really good article. There have been many times where I have been self conscious and felt like less of a women because of my height and frame. No, I may not be curvy, but I'm still a HEALTHY women! I'm not less of a women just because there is less of me..
  • littlemissrachie91
    Options
    Well, I hope the message can get through to even one of those on MFP who do put other people down, perhaps you could quote the article in one of those threads? I'll never understand why people waste their energy on being outwardly horrible to others to make themselves feel better. It's a case of if you don't like how someone looks-look away and keep your thoughts to yourself, because (unless you're invited by them to criticize) nobody will want to hear it. Less or more- we're still women. At the end of the day, healthy is the best way to be no matter how your body looks.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    *raises hand* i DO hate skinny women. I'm not at a point where their existence doesn't make me wanna go vomit or stop eating for months on end.
    I don't bash on here cuz it's just not worth it or right.
    privacy of my home and against the tv....oh its on
  • xandra
    xandra Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I only hate skinny women when they complain about how heavy they are. It pisses me off to no end and I take it a personal affront.