New and in need of support!

Options
Hi,

I've been on MFP for 3 weeks now and so far it's been great, the best site I've been on by far! I have been able to achieve a stable weight loss but I am seriously struggling with the exercise motivation side of it. I'd really like some friendly advice, and a bit of motivation. I'm more than happy to return the favor so feel free to add me!!

Claire

Replies

• clopez1987
    clopez1987 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    you should try doing Zumba its a great work out and its fun!
  • cmdodds65
    Options
    I'm new too. Just started today. Have been on Weight Watchers for about 4 weeks & "stalled" in the past two. Looking at this program I can see I was WAY over on carbs on WW (since fruit & veggies are "free"! I too struggle with exercise because I have 2 full time jobs (both of which include mostly sitting) Looking fro friends & support. I am 65 and planning a trip to see friends & family in mid October & WANT to lose weight before then.
  • fairyT83
    fairyT83 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have recently started zumba, I really enjoyed it, who knew I had rythm! I can really feel the burn............and sweat! :smile: I think I just need to make myself get up and do it until it becomes natural! I'm just so tired after a long day at work I'm really struggling to scrape myself off the sofa at the end of the day!
  • fairyT83
    Options
    I really struggled on WW. I could never work out the points accurately and in the end just gave up!! I've had more success on here in 3 weeks than anything else I've tried. I think we'll do well :happy:
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble with working out too even though I am a member of two health clubs. I love Zumba and water aerobics. Just getting to the gym is hard some times. My IP coach suggested I start lifting weights while I watch TV. That has really helped me at least build some muscle and once you start lifting a few hand weights, it is easy just to go ahead and do a few floor exercises. I was doing the Zumba DVDs as soon as I got home from work before I cooked dinner or sat on the couch and that helped. If you have time in the morning, that is even better. You can do it! Keep up the good work.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I like Just Dance (any of them) for the wii. Some motivators that have worked for me are 1) keeping a pic handy of what I looked like when I started my program, that in itself keeps me going ;) and 2) I get up early and go for a walk with my "uptunes" on my music player. I get out before the day gets too hot and now when I hear the music from my workout mixes like one of Pavlov's dogs, I feel the urge to get up and move! I like MFP too, I've been on it for just a few days now but really like being able to track my progress this way. Best of luck to you!
  • lucille_heather
    lucille_heather Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    hey, im new too, and im finding it would be great to have some support through MFP as well :)
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am a lifetime member of WW, but stopped when I started gaining weight and stalling. I think the unlimited fruit and vegetables added too much sugar. Now I am on a no-carb diet and it is working for me.
  • Mrzcole
    Mrzcole Posts: 2
    Options
    i very new only a few days in, im looking for friends to keep me on track, right now the only friend i have on here is my husband, and he only joined cuz i made him so idk how long that will last
  • jmilitante
    Options
    I had a lot of problems exercising when I started as well. It didn't matter what time I got home, I just didn't have the energy to exercise. What finally worked for me was pushing myself out of bed 30 minutes early to start running. I purchased an app for my phone to help push me a little more. I would walk for a minute then jog for a minute. After 9 weeks of doing this, I can run for 30 minutes (2.5 miles) straight. The last time I ran a mile was probably over 20 years ago. I now get out of bed 45 minutes early. I have found by doing this early in the morning, I don't have time to talk myself out of why I can't work out. I zone out in the morning and tell my body to get up, get dressed and get outside. Once I am there, I lose the desire to go back to bed.

I am not saying this will be easy, but pushing yourself does help. Also, I like the idea that I will reward myself for getting up and exercising. The calories I burn can either help me get to my goal faster or just allow me to eat something bad for me that day as a reward. If I stay within the calories I am allotted in the program along with the calories given back to me for exercising, I get to eat something I shouldn't.

I hope this helps!
  • JDuffy86
    JDuffy86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey

I just started MFP and I love it and I have always had a hard time exercising! I love to walk with my dog and I love music so i make it a lot of fun! I used to do P90X and i love it but I tend to lose interest! So doing something in the end then sitting around is better! Start out by walking and then move up to something more. Thats what i tend to do! Once I start i love doing it!
  • benevolent13
    Options
    I too am having trouble on the workout side of it, because I feel tired after work. I have a treadmill, but that just doesn't entice me.

Have you tried any of the dance games? I've recently tried just dance for x box kinect, and it is a workout! But it's also a lot of fun, and you don't even realize how long you're working out. Unlike you, I have no rythm, so it's definitely something I do alone.
  • fairyT83
    Options
    I had a lot of problems exercising when I started as well. It didn't matter what time I got home, I just didn't have the energy to exercise. What finally worked for me was pushing myself out of bed 30 minutes early to start running. I purchased an app for my phone to help push me a little more. I would walk for a minute then jog for a minute. After 9 weeks of doing this, I can run for 30 minutes (2.5 miles) straight. The last time I ran a mile was probably over 20 years ago. I now get out of bed 45 minutes early. I have found by doing this early in the morning, I don't have time to talk myself out of why I can't work out. I zone out in the morning and tell my body to get up, get dressed and get outside. Once I am there, I lose the desire to go back to bed.

I am not saying this will be easy, but pushing yourself does help. Also, I like the idea that I will reward myself for getting up and exercising. The calories I burn can either help me get to my goal faster or just allow me to eat something bad for me that day as a reward. If I stay within the calories I am allotted in the program along with the calories given back to me for exercising, I get to eat something I shouldn't.

I hope this helps!

This is an excellent Idea, I'd really like to get into running, I've always felt to heavy, I'm large chested as well so I may have to invest in an iron support bra :) I think this is something I might try!
  • fairyT83
    Options
    I too am having trouble on the workout side of it, because I feel tired after work. I have a treadmill, but that just doesn't entice me.

Have you tried any of the dance games? I've recently tried just dance for x box kinect, and it is a workout! But it's also a lot of fun, and you don't even realize how long you're working out. Unlike you, I have no rythm, so it's definitely something I do alone.

I do zumba at home (blinds closed, cat out) I do love it, I feel abit silly prancing around the living room. I wanna try and get out of the house abit, but I'm not sure I'm strong enough to take the mean things people shout yet! Do you know if theres anything like that for the ps3move??
  • fairyT83
    Options
    Thanks everyone, much love :flowerforyou:
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    can anybody recommend a good zumba dvd?
  • JacilynAustin
    Options
    hey im also new and need some new fitness partners for motivation and support. feel free to add me !:smile:
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • Cblackburn221
    Cblackburn221 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Add me if you want to! We can get through this!!
  • kzcortes
    kzcortes Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Anyone feel free to add me! I'm a daily logger and love giving/getting encouragement, support and tips.