Parenting advice...

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
OK, actually asking for parenting advice…
My son is turning 6 next week. The past week or two he’s started wetting his pants. Initially, I was uber concerned b/c he has had problems with one of his kidneys, but it’s not that. It’s simply that he won’t stop playing or doing what he’s doing to go to the bathroom. My mom just called me that he wet his pants at a playland thing even though she’d asked him if he had to go to the bathroom 5 minutes prior. He’s certainly old enough to know better, frankly, and embarrassed when it happens. There's been no significant change on the homefront or with school that I can think of as impacting him.

Anyone have a good way of addressing the issue effectively?

Replies

• MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    1. Visit to the doctor.
    2. Don't ask him if he needs to go to the bathroom. TELL him it's time to go to the bathroom. And then make him go.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I might get flamed here. But I would make my kids stop what they were doing and go to the bathroom at least once every couple of hours. Even if they didn't have to go.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I am with UTBH- I would make him go every so often and if that annoys him, maybe he will begin to go on his own.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Had problems with this with my son for a while, you're going to have to make him stop what he's doing and go even if he says he doesn't have to. Mine eventually grew out of it.

Edit: We took him to the doctor to make sure there was not any medical problems.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    1. Visit to the doctor.
    2. Don't ask him if he needs to go to the bathroom. TELL him it's time to go to the bathroom. And then make him go.

1. We did. It's definitely not his kidney/bladder.
    2. Agreed. Sadly I wasn't there, but he has never ever had to be told to go before, so this is all kind of catching me off guard... as to why he's suddenly having accidents when he hasn't in years. I don't want to make it a bigger deal than I should and have a "conversation" if it isn't warranted and just a normal kid thing. But on the other hand, I don't want to miss a problem?

This is probably bothering me more than him *LOL*
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    especially if you are out of the home doing something fun, stop what you are doing and leave if he pees himself. Make sure he knows why you are leaving.
  • wwk10
    wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Mine did that at the same age for the same reason.
    Too busy watching cartoons to go.
    Sorry but I dont remember what we did.
    He did grow out of it.

On the other hand, my child who was potty trained started wetting the bed again at around 4.
    Amazingly it was a sign of needing a tonsilectomy which he got and with hind sight needed.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Mine did that at the same age for the same reason.
    Too busy watching cartoons to go.
    Sorry but I dont remember what we did.
    He did grow out of it.

On the other hand, my child who was potty trained started wetting the bed again at around 4.
    Amazingly it was a sign of needing a tonsilectomy which he got and with hind sight needed.

Honestly, I want to know how his tonsils came into play :) I want my son's removed, but this admittedly made me giggle a little.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    1. Visit to the doctor.

2. Agreed. Sadly I wasn't there, but he has never ever had to be told to go before, so this is all kind of catching me off guard... as to why he's suddenly having accidents when he hasn't in years. I don't want to make it a bigger deal than I should and have a "conversation" if it isn't warranted and just a normal kid thing. But on the other hand, I don't want to miss a problem?

It isn't so much that he doesn't know that he needs to go. It's just that he thinks he can handle it, and then all the sudden, the urge becomes overwhelming. He hasn't learned his body's limitations yet.
  • LilMissSunshine_
    Options
    My boyfriends son just went through this. He is 6 as well. His mom sat him down and told him how it was unacceptable and explained to him why. It only lasted a few weeks and he stopped doing it after she had a talk with him and made him understand why. I looked it up on the internet and it said to not scold them but to talk and explain things to them. Seemed to work.

Also making them go to the bathroom every few hours til they start doing it on their own. Now he gets excited when he goes by himself and always tells us... " I JUST WENT POOP"!!!!
  • odusgolp
    Options
    1. Visit to the doctor.

It isn't so much that he doesn't know that he needs to go. It's just that he thinks he can handle it, and then all the sudden, the urge becomes overwhelming. He hasn't learned his body's limitations yet.

hrmmm.... didn't think of it like that.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Gabriel has had this happen a few times, and it really isn't uncommon even for kids up to 7 or 8 to have an accident b/c they are just playing too long. I would suggest trying what others have said and just tell him when to go until the problem solves itself!
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I always made my daughter try before we left, she played, bedtime, etc whether she said she needed to or not. 9 times out of 10 the child would pee out a gallon.
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    My boyfriends son just went through this. He is 6 as well. His mom sat him down and told him how it was unacceptable and explained to him why. It only lasted a few weeks and he stopped doing it after she had a talk with him and made him understand why. I looked it up on the internet and it said to not scold them but to talk and explain things to them. Seemed to work.

Also making them go to the bathroom every few hours til they start doing it on their own. Now he gets excited when he goes by himself and always tells us... " I JUST WENT POOP"!!!!

I completely agree with this. My son had the same problem around 5, almost 6. They are still learning their bodies limitations like someone else mentioned. Getting upset with him is probably the worst thing to do since it isn't really him purposely wetting himself. My son grew out of it like everyone elses. We also just explained to him that even though he is having fun, he has to stop and use the bathroom when it feels like he needs to go. Whatever fun he was having etc will still be there after he goes to the bathroom.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Y'all rock. Having one kid, and no experience with brothers, sisters, cousins, etc. I tend to over-react and think "OMG, he must have been emotionally traumatized," and jump off a bridge too quickly! Anyhow, thanks for the advice. It's normal, but we shall have a heart to heart about it.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Y'all rock. Having one kid, and no experience with brothers, sisters, cousins, etc. I tend to over-react and think "OMG, he must have been emotionally traumatized," and jump off a bridge too quickly! Anyhow, thanks for the advice. It's normal, but we shall have a heart to heart about it.

Don't worry. I was like that too. Thank God I've made it to the teen years finally... I think. :huh:
  • odusgolp
    Options

Don't worry. I was like that too. Thank God I've made it to the teen years finally... I think. :huh:

I'm slightly bat *kitten* crazy now.... I'll need to be institutionalized through the teen years, surely.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    1. Visit to the doctor.

hrmmm.... didn't think of it like that.
    My 3 year old has the same problem. Obviously, there's a huge difference between 3 and 6, because at 3 it is more acceptable for this to happen. However, previous poster is absolutely right. From what I've researched and discovered, this problem is generally exclusive to boys because they can't hold their bladders as long as girls can. Boys feel the urge, they know the urge, but they think they can power through. Girls do this too, but generally they'll make it to the bathroom before it's to late, because the urge doesn't overwhelm as quickly as it does with boys. Like previous posters said, setting up a bathroom "schedule" seems to work.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Where's Bobby Clerici when you need solid parenting advice?
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Where's Bobby Clerici when you need solid parenting advice?

bwahahaha