Hello Everyone, Please Read. Bootcamp soon!

Options
I have this different app on my phone that was similar to this but i wasn't able to talk to others using the same app. I am nichole lindberg and i leave for bootcamp september 5 for the navy. i am in need of motivation cause i have little to none right now. I am more so trying to control my calorie intake and not snack when I'm bored. At the moment i can't run because of shin splints so taking the month off of that, but i'm trying to work on my abs. Any ideas how to get a flat and toned stomach?
Thanks everyone, hope to make some great friends. xx :smile:

Replies

• SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    First off Congratulations Nichole on your choice to join the Navy and Serving our Country, a big Hooyah from this Navy Momma (My Son is in so i know some of what you will be going through) I would so work on your pushups, sit ups and pull ups. Rub down your legs and do little jogs, little ones until your legs get better. It's really not about flat "6 pack abs" It about indurance. What are you signed up for? Ok good luck and you are going to do great!
  • kzcortes
    kzcortes Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's the MOST efficient way but...lots and lots of running. And I don't know what they're called officially...but I call them twist crunches haha and planking.

Good luck in boot camp!
  • BrittanyErica
    BrittanyErica Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    not to ruin any hopes you had, but abs are not quick and easy to get.. if they were, everyone would have them. there is no such thing as spot training, so you'll have to work extremely hard to get your body fat percentage low enough for your abs to show. and don't think that training abs everyday will help; that will just overtrain them and be counterproductive. i suggest working abs every 2-3 days, just like any other muscle group, they need 24-36 hours to recover and repair. i hope this helps, and goodluck with everything! i hope the best for you :)
  • emailishare
    Options
    Hi there! You go on with your badass bootcamp self! My tip: at a time when you're not hungry, sit down and plan out your meals and snacks for the next few days, and then buy the ingredients you need for those meals and snacks only. There are menus online, such as at EatingWell.com, where you can choose your calorie level and it gives you day by day lists of what to eat. I find it's easier not to snack or to overeat when I feel confident in what I know I'm eating for the rest of the day. The cookies and chips are so much less resistible when 1) they're in the house and 2) I have no idea what I'm going to be eating next or when. Much easier to say to myself, "I don't need to eat these Doritos right now because in 40 minutes I'm going to have fresh haricots verts with yogurt dill dip." Or something to that effect.

Abs are tricky -- it's about reducing about your body fat (diet + cardio) while doing lots of strength exercises (core + full body too). Crunches with your lower back supported (on a cushion, a folded mat, an exercise ball etc.) are way better and safer than sit-ups. Remember you can also tilt your pelvis and ground your lower back into the floor while crunching -- it's not just about lifting your top half, it's also about your form and tensing/stabilizing from the inside. Unlike other muscle groups, you can work out your core every single day. Having someone else coach you or taking an ab class can strengthen your resolve to push further.

Anyway those are my ideas. If you have access to a pool, that's a great sub for running! I used to have shin splits too. Grab and pick up pencils under your desk with your bare toes. That's supposed to help and prevent shin splints.
  • Lindbergnd
    Options
    Well i hope your son is enjoying his experience! I am going into Aircrew. It's broad i know, but i haven't gone through my school yet. Once i finish that, depending on my grades and where i stand in the class, takes me to my section. The six pack abs isn't really the one thing i want, it's a flat tone stomach that is achieved by hard work so that i know i won't have trouble with crunches or any core training. I just want a strong core & a confidence boost. Only thing i haven't really focused on in my 6+ years of dedicated exercise, for the simple fact i was young and loved my junk food. haha.

& i know getting the "abs" i want is going to be hard. But my lifestyle and job will be hard. I'm up for any kind of challenge this might bring. I have recently started looking up more and more core exercises since i can't run at the moment with the intense shin splints I've gotten over the past few months from track and my two a day runs i used to do.

Thank you all for your support and advice. Means a lot!(:
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for motivation, this is the place to find it!!! I think you're fabulous for choosing to join the military...there is nothing better!!!

Lots of situps, pushups, walking/jogging/running as your shins will allow. I've had shin splints off and on my whole life, they suck. If you're able, go to a specialty shoe store and get fitted for GOOD sneakers....that will make a huge difference.

Good luck, you'll do great if you want to!!!!