I need a protein powder alternative

Options
gergie
gergie Posts: 32 Member
I am not one to buy protein powder so I am looking for an alternative to put in my shake.
I'm gonna add some yogurt,fruit,milk,vanilla,but I want to up my protein!
Not a big fan of peanutbutter in shakes. Didn't eat too much today and still have 500 plus
calories left (that doesn't happen often,don't worry) Figured I make a shake and I need protein, any suggestions?

Replies

• Robinsond61
    Options
    Eggwhites maybe? That's if you're not opposed to eating raw eggs. What's your beef with powder?
  • gergie
    Options
    no beef with powder,I just don't have any in the house right now :(
    could never,ever drink raw egg! But thanks for the suggestion!
    I just need to up my protein for today in a shake :)
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt....cottage cheese
  • gergie
    Options
    cottage cheese I can do, thanks!
  • micheleyarbrough
    micheleyarbrough Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You probably don't have this on hand but Greek yogurt is very high in protein. Get the plain. Fage is the best brand (in my opinion).
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I would have an egg white omelet (1 whole egg) with some low fat cheese and maybe a 45 slice of bread on the side along with my shake. Instead of another ingredient.
    I love my vanilla whey in the shake ;) YUMMY!
    I found a recipe too that has 2 c cottage cheese blended with sf jello made with 1/2 c boiling water. You blend well and put in fridge. Can top as you like but is supposed to be a substitute for cheesecake. I would have that if I needed protein and had extra calories.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I like lowfat milk in my shakes/smoothies
  • gergie
    Options
    aww thanks guys for the great ideas, and gonna put greek yogurt on the grocery list for sure. I always use skim milk ;D
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    If you put the cottage cheese in the blender, you will never know it is in there. Makes the shakes creamier with the benefit of protein.
  • gergie
    Options
    That's ok, I like cottage cheese anyway ;D
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    check out the protein shake recipes on dashing dish.. they're cottage cheese based.. and you can omit the protein powder..
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I am not one to buy protein powder...

Lol. What does that mean? You're taking a stand against the the evil protein powder manufacturers?

Seriously, if it's the cost most powders are less expensive than getting your protein from meat.