Really???

Options
13»

Replies

• Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It's probably wrong. Go back in there and tell it you are sedentary and plan no exercise at all, except the 1 minute it forces you, then you will get a more accurate picture of the lowest amount you can eat. If you exercise more, you'll be able to eat more and still lose weight.

You shouldn't be aiming for the lowest amount you can possibly eat.

You should be honest about your activity levels, and stick to them and the calorie amounts you are given, and that will give you the best results.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Ok, i just created my profile today..... and I am new and just learning and trying to do this right. Now... I realize that I weigh a lot and have A LOT to loose....... BUT..... its telling me I need to eat 2500 calories, 375 carbs (really??) and 90 - NINETY grams of fat! Can this be right? Surely I can't eat that much and still loose weight! Anyone have any ideas??

Fat isn't bad at all. In fact good sources of saturated fats help hormone balance and stave off hunger.

The carbs are super high though. This could lead to stalling if not checked.

I would suggest about 1g of protein for every pound of lean body mass.
    The rest you can split between fat and carb. I'm more partial to low carb because of the insulin control. Fat doesn't make you fat. In fact it helps curb the appetite and satiate longer. This is a big help for me.

You can create a larger deficit if you wish. Around 1600-2000 calories consumed should be fine. The MFP calculator isn't very good and doesn't take into account a lot of things.

You can also consider diets like Paleo, Keto, and adopt an Intermittent Fasting eating schedule to help fat burning.

There are plenty of options out there. I just don't suggest blindly follow MFP suggestions.
  • mocha106
    mocha106 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I meant to say body weight.
    It is healthy to lose 1% of your body fat per week so if my weight was in the 300s, I would set my profile to lose 3 lbs per week. There is no reason that you should only lose 1 lb per week. In any event, sometimes you have to play around with the numbers to see what works for you.

But 1% of your body fat per week wouldn't be 3lbs per week unless your body was 100% fat (pretty unlikely). To use this method you'd need to have a pretty accurate idea of your body composition.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Dang...that's crazy! I set mine to 2 lbs a week & I'm only allowed 1200 calories! :(

Me too! :grumble:

I strongly recommend that you consider setting it to something less ambitious, like one pound per week (especially if you find the two pounds per week setting to be a horrible experience).
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My husband has 50 pounds to lose and they set him a calorie goal 1000 more than me (he's at 2300) to lose one pound a week. When he follows that, he does lose it.

If you are 140 pounds overweight, you probably could start at 2 pounds a week. But I think the person above was wise when they said log what you're doing now and then see how hard it is to eat what they recommend for one pound a week.

It will take you a long time to lose that much weight (though lots of people do it and you can too!) You want a calorie goal you can stick with for the long term.

As you get thinner, your calorie allowance will get smaller.

Good luck!