Free weights vs machines

Options
Hello,

At my gym we have both. BUT the free weights section is tiny, with people packed in there. I have to wait for someone after each exercise.

Would it be okay to just do the machines? I know they are not as good, but its better than nothing right?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Smith machines are really only good for bodybuilders who want pure isolation exercises. If you're lifting on a machine, you don't use your stabilization muscles which has a big effect on your functional strength.
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    is it better then nothing... Yes

Is it just as effective of a workout? No
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    is it better then nothing... Yes

Is it just as effective of a workout? No

Oh yea I knew it wouldn't be as effective. But with a limited time for the gym because of classes and 2 jobs, I really need to make use of that time. Not standing around waiting for a squat rack. I swear they are never open lol
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I have a similar thread running - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/696415-smiths-machine-only-option-for-squats just in case there is anything that helps you. :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Is there any way that you can go at a different time?

I try to lift really early/late in the day.. because then there is no one there.
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options

I try to lift really early/late in the day.. because then there is no one there.

Unfortunate I am very limited. Usually start work at 6 am, class, then my other job late until 11 pm. My break is at 5 pm. So busy during that time! Hopefully by the end of this year I will be out of this situation. Hoping to be able to quit one job to free up some time, and find a new gym! Until then, do you think the machines will be good enough? Will the help prevent muscle break down?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Unfortunate I am very limited. Usually start work at 6 am, class, then my other job late until 11 pm. My break is at 5 pm. So busy during that time! Hopefully by the end of this year I will be out of this situation. Hoping to be able to quit one job to free up some time, and find a new gym! Until then, do you think the machines will be good enough? Will the help prevent muscle break down?

They should be... but be warned that when you go back to free weights, you won't have the same strength and may have to lower the weights a bit.
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options

They should be... but be warned that when you go back to free weights, you won't have the same strength and may have to lower the weights a bit.

That's okay for now! Just hoping to retain muscle mass, strength ill make sure to try and build up after i suppose