Need help choosing protein powder, whats best etc

Options
2»

Replies

• hyper24
    hyper24 Posts: 27
    Options
    Go with Optimum nutrition. They are of good quality and taste amazing. I love their French Vanilla.
  • bridies01
    bridies01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like the Sunwarrior raw vegan chocolate powder.

http://www.sunwarrior.com/store/protein-raw-vegan-chocolate.html

I am vegetarian and try to avoid whey proteins. I also get plenty of soy in my diet so avoid soy protein powders (plus they are highly processed), even though I find the soy tastes the best. I tried Arbonne powder but it had a ton of added sugar and was really sweet.

The sunwarrior is not super sweet, and is really finely ground, I don't get any chalkiness in my smoothies at all. I've also just mixed it up with water - it's not the easiest to put down, but better than others.
  • iron_petros88GR
    Options
    optimum nutrition flavor double chocolate. http://www.answerfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/optimum-nutrition-whey-protein.jpg

after excersise; 1 scoop in 200-230 ml of water. tastes good and it has good solubility in water (:
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I have been using Fiber35 Fitsmart because it has 10g of fiber, which I need to help me with my IBS-C. It has 20g protein (whey I think) and is sweetened with stevia. It has other vitamins/minerals too, here is a link to the nutrition label: http://www.vitacost.com/fiber-35-diet-fitsmart-shake-chocolate-creme. I find it too sweet, but it doesn't taste bad and I really like getting the fiber along with it. .
  • harkonian
    harkonian Posts: 2
    Options
    Other than finding the one that suits your taste, finding a good protein powder is actually pretty straightforward. You want to look at the ingredients -- the best whey protein powders will list whey protein isolate or hydrolyzed whey protein isolate as the very first ingredient. These are both very pure forms of protein (> 90% pure). The difference between these two proteins is that hydrolyzed protein has smaller protein fragments which are easier to digest than non-hydrolyzed whey protein isolate, but other than that one caveat, they are essentially the same. Other types of whey are not filtered as much (70-80% pure), which means you are getting some of the natural carbs that are found in milk along with the protein. While there is nothing inherently wrong with these extra carbs, most of us don't have any issues getting carbs in our diets, it's the protein we need to focus on.

It's easy to tell how pure a whey protein powder is -- just divide the number of grams of protein per serving by the number of grams per serving. For example, if you look at the powder I use -- Iso Sensation 93 (label found here: http://gnc.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pGNC1-6099251_gnclabel_pdf.pdf) -- you'll see that each serving has 30g of protein and each serving is 32g. So, 30/32 = 0.937 = 93.7% pure protein.

Compare that to the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard -- 24g of protein per serving, each serving is 30.4g (http://gnc.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pGNC1-2331558_gnclabel_pdf.pdf) which is 78.4% pure protein.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    today i tried USN - IGF-1 Pure Protein... tasted amazing, great protein and calories and no carbs... it was really thick like angel delight. LOVED it! 40g protein for 200 cals. x
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Ladies, you want low cal (my scoop is less thank 100Kcal), low sugar with as high protein as possible in that combo - most of the ones mentioned are whey protein which is fast releasing.

Just having it with water is better in terms of less calories but having it with unsweetened soya milk which is also high in protein is what I like to do.

The ones pre mixed in bottle are not as good for you as just the powder that you mix yourself. Buy a shaker where you keep powder in the bottom and you can mix 3-4 drinks a day while on the go just by adding water. .

Always read the labels.
  • sarrylove
    sarrylove Posts: 88
    Options
    Does anyone know if the Shakeology drinks truly are good for you and have good ingredients?

I have been drinking Shakeology for a few months now and it makes me feel great. Gives me energy and just makes my body feel good in general. Shakeology is all natural and has no artificial sweeters, flavors or any preservatives in it. I drink the chocolate which is really good. The tropical strawberry is also good. One reason that I decided to get shakeology is because I didn't like taking pills to get all of my vitamins and minerals in AND I knew that I didn't get enough fruits and veggies in every day and Shakeology fills that gap.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am using the EAS myopleax permixed protein drinks they taste good. I've been told the Whey protein is good but I 've not tried it. but I know a few that do use it.

Actually you have tried whey. That is what is in EAS -- whey and casein. That is some good stuff too, I like that one as well as long as it is the CarbAdvantage as most of others have way too many carbs.

Thank you! I learn something new every day about good things for me. :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    bump
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Buy the least expensive protein powder that you can tolerate. Money never sleeps......

Try Walmart. Maybe you'll be able to stand Body Fortress, but I couldn't..... spent $2 more on Pure Protein. Six Star was fabulous but pricey, EAS is outrageous.
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    At the risk of being shot down here....Just eat better, save your money
  • jmalone71
    jmalone71 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do not know anything about them, but i use the Jillian Michaels vanilla and chocolate ones, they are sweetened with stevia and they didn't cost an arm and a leg to try them , i buy them at well.ca , free shipping in Canada , : )
  • JPKemp
    JPKemp Posts: 25
    Options
    bump
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I love Six Star and the EAS protein mixes, but I stick with Body Fortress myself - I just can't be prompted to spend the great markup that often comes with not being a "cheaper" brand.

Typically Body Fortress has 130-140 cals, 26g protein, and 1-2g each of carbs and fats. Not the most pure protein by any means but if it's post-workout, you want a few carbs anyway. I find myself eating chicken more often lately, 110 cal and 24g protein for the fillets I get.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    "Designer Whey"

http://designerwhey.com/products/powders/

Husband and I both tried many many brands and flavors. Designer Whey tastes the best, like a delicious indulgent shake, only it's really good for you. Our favorite flavors: strawberry and double chocolate.
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with dymatize elite
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I was drinking whey protein powder and it was going fine. Then one day I drank it and it caused me to throw up. I thought it had gone bad, so I returned it. I bought another one and it made me throw up. I tried another brand, I threw up. I guess I developed an intolerance of some kind to whey protein. It causes me to throw up. Yuck! Probably an anomaly.

I am using Precision Natural Vegetarian Protein Powder and it is much better for me.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Another fan of Body Fortress whey here. I've heard many people say that the Optimum Nutrition Gold is very good also, but haven't tried it yet. The Body Fortress stuff is inexpensive, readily available, has plenty of protein and doesn't taste bad (I even mix mine in straight water without adding a bunch of stuff to it).