Do you work out on vacation?

Options
slkehl
slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
Do you work out while you're on a vacation? When do you squeeze in a workout and what do you do?

Replies

• camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    Admittedly I haven't been on vacation in a while, but I definitely would. Making progress towards my goals -- whether it's weight loss or a run time milestone -- is a pretty high priority for me. If I come back from a vacation in worse shape than I was in when I started it, then I'm going to be pretty unhappy... and then what's the point of the vacation?

I'm going on a couple of trips later this month and I'm already looking for ways to work runs in. It doesn't take much equipment and I can do it pretty much anywhere, so I'm confident that I'll be able to stay fairly close to my routine.
  • E7Hartman
    Options
    I definately work out during vacation. Now or course it will depend on where you go and what you have access to. Our clan is going to OBX at the end of the month so gyms are in short supply. However being out on the beach gets you in a whole new element of cardio. Chasing my kids through the surf and running along the beach in the sand def burns calories. I usually take bikes when we go and really enjoy biking through the different areas. I know its vacation and we are supposed to relax and kick back but for me, I really try to adhere to normal cal intake and either swim or run as many time during the day as possible. I wont get a chance for weight training while gone and if I let myself it would be to easy for me to make eating the" extras" ok. I love sea food though and will be working that in.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I did on my cruise and any other vacation I go on. Working out to me is like eating.............essential in my life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I always mean to... I always bring workout clothes, and then I don't do it.
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    No, I plan scheduled time off around vacations

Not like hotels have squat racks anyway
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Yup! try to do what I do at home. I even take my portable dvd player and JM videos :)
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    My last vacation was a "staycation" and I went to the gym for at least an hour 5 of the 7 days I was off, plus I did a lot of walking. The one before that was out of town and I made time for walks but didn't actively workout.

I try to be as active as possible all the time, but I would let cut out family activities to get a workout in if I had to choose.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    just got back from williamsburg VA and went for a hour run every morning at 7 and finished up with a 45 minute swim on 3 days. We vacation about 6 or 7 times a year so keeping up my exercise is a must
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I make sure I get exercise in (I typically vacation at the beach, so long walks/jogs - which I don't do at home), but I don't worry about what I eat, but I do track it all.
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    walk, walk, walk! It's amazing on how walking after a meal will help.
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    Yes. I do short 12-15 minute High Intensity Interval Training while away. Bodyweight only. All you need is a stopwatch. It is possible to do. Also, jogging and walking are great on vacation.
  • RancidPolecat2
    Options
    I make a point of running 5-10k in every city I visit. My vacation diet make those lousy runs, though.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I am leaving for Florida this Saturday and stressing over what I will do. I know I can get plenty of cardio: swimming, walking and hiking but what about strength training? The resort where we will be staying does not have a gym and my gym is not a chain so I can't just get a travel pass like I have in the past.
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    I feel you! I think working out on vacation is a necessity, especially with what I'll be eating. I'm going on a trip to France in a few weeks and I have no idea how to work my runs in! The hotels are teensy and don't have gyms, and the streets in the places we will go are mostly cobblestone- plus, I won't know my way around. Any tips would be helpful!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Last holiday to the US I just used hotel gyms all over the place. I only got to squat once in 6 weeks which was *kitten*. (4x a week now :tongue:)

I like to do some strength training once a week if possible. It only takes a few hours to get a full body workout in.
  • mwestmount
    mwestmount Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES!!!! I finally have time to do the things I want to do!!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes but only because I'm a crazy person. Plus I am one of those weirdos that only sleeps 4 hours a day. I go to Vegas for 2 weeks a year with my wife and kids, stay up till 4am playing poker, and still get up at 7am and hit the gym while they sleep till 9. If I could sleep like normal people I'd have no qualms taking an exercise break during vacations. The body needs rest just like the mind.
  • happythermia
    Options
    I always think I am...but then when I get there....NO!

But usually where ever I go, I do a lot of walking...so there is that :-)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I love running someplace new and different.
    My wife once went on a business trip with me to Seattle and she went out for a run in the morning. She got lost. She returned to the hotel four hours later. That night, she fell asleep in the restaurant, right at the table, during dinner.
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I try my hardest to. Was just on a 2 week beach vacation and was able to stick to my workouts about 80%. Not ideal, but certainly better than nothing. I took weights for strength training and I begrudgingly paid dues to a local gym at the beach twice. I also did HIIT workouts or ran/walked the other times. I like the idea of taking a "vacation" from my work outs too, but, I feel so much better when I get a work out in. Happy wife = happy life, right? lol