zumba

Options
Hi all! I have a question re a zumba calorie calorie calculator I found online. The calculator for an hr of zumba mild intensity for someone around 160 lbs is 490 calories. Does that seem correct? I have been doing the medium intensity on the wii but put in the mild intensity to be on the safe side. Prior to the wii I had been walking on the treadmill approx an hr and it calculated my calorie burn at 300. My interest was waning so I decided to try zumba. I lost about 20 lbs so far with walking. Any input?

Replies

• DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but a heart rate monitor would be the only way to know for sure. I log mine at 500 for 60 minutes and I go to a class, if I'm doing the same routines in my living room I take it down to 400. I talk to women in my class with a hrm and it does range 600 and up, but I rather low ball myself.
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I low ball mine (320 an hour) unless I do the wii and it tells me about 480 calories burned for 40-45 minutes for moderate complexity Zumba II and I weigh about 122lbs at 5.4". I sweat more on the wii anyway so I feel comfortable doing that. I only eat about 25 to 30 percent of my excerise calories back anyway because I don't trust them no matter what. I am maintaining now so Zumba and running were my only excerises and they both helped equally.
  • FayeCT
    FayeCT Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the response. You are almost at goal. WTG! Good luck.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I use a HRm and it logs me anywhere from 500-550 so far and thats for an hour long high intensity class.
  • lbe1982
    lbe1982 Posts: 20
    Options
    I was wondering the same question....I have a 60min. Zumba class once a week. Also doing Zumba at home following YouTube. What "ZUMBA" are you using at home?
  • FayeCT
    FayeCT Posts: 19
    Options
    I use zumba 2. Just got it yesterday. I do it with my kids so serves as quality time and exercise time. Hmmm...didn't know it was on you tube. Thanks for sharing. Welcome to mfp. You are in the right place. I love it here.