How do you respond when people notice your weight loss?

Options
People are starting to notice that I have lost weight and compliment me. It sounds strange but I really don't know how to respond. Somehow a simple Thank you doesn't seem adequate, but I don't feel like giving a whole explanation as I feel that my journey is a personal one. Having been overweight most of my life, I am not sure how to be the new me. Any tips??

Replies

• sosino
    sosino Posts: 41
    Options
    How about...

"Have I, damn * turn head looking for it, bonus points for checking pockets.*. If you see it anywhere can you hand it back". Lol:)

Kudos on the lily Munster pic. Epic!
  • foodisfuelforlife
    Options
    It's hard when they ask if you are ok! Like, I'm not sick, I actually worked for this!!
  • xdieselx
    xdieselx Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It actually happened a lot to me lately as my co-workers noticed my loss of 35lbs and i keep getting compliments for it. I just thank them and tell them that i worked hard for it so i am happy that people notice it!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I usually just say 'thanks for noticing' and sometimes tack 'but I've still got a long way to go!' if I really know the person well and can be bothered going into the rest of the conversation.
  • Sheilav330
    Options
    Least ur getting noticed. I wish i can get that attention lol apparently my family lives in their own world never notices anything..sometimes i wonder if they know i even exist. :) enjoy the compliments not many of us get them and have been working so hard for it too :)
  • ChangingAmie
    Options
    Usually when people go "Oh you've lost weight! You look great/good/amazing!"

I just say "Thanks, I FEEL great/good/amazing." :]

A simple thank you will never be the wrong thing to say ^-^
  • JamesLeGrand
    JamesLeGrand Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really like the people who say" man you look soo much better" Like I must have been hard to look at before.
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I normally say "Thanks, I feel great too"!
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It's hard when they ask if you are ok! Like, I'm not sick, I actually worked for this!!

Lol happened to me...
    "you've lost so much weight... you're not sick or anything are you?"
    Then I'm sure I made a "WTF" face and said no I just workout lol
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I normally say "Thanks, I feel great too"!

This
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am thankful and proud of myself:bigsmile:
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends on who they are and what they say about it...if they say "you're looking really good" or something along those lines I say thanks and smile. But if they're rude in their comments I just do my best to ignore them.
  • goosepappa
    goosepappa Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's not what they say but the expression as they comment. I just tell them "It's good weight" and that usually kills it. If not I tell them I have been working at it for awhile and thanks for noticing.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    At 65 pounds, people are going to notice! I just simply say "Thank you, I've been working hard at it." This lets people know that this is an intentional weight loss and no, I'm not sick! It's usually followed by, "How are you doing it?" I tell them just counting calories and a little exercise. If they seem to want more info, I'll go into this site (I've learned that a lot of people want to lose weight but don't want to put a lot of effort into it! So there's no point in going into details then getting frustrated with the blank stare!).
  • caslyn3
    caslyn3 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Actually, a few co-workers have said the same thing to me too. Today, I was wearing my jacket because it was cold - when i took it off my co-work said, Damn girl you are really looking good ! And asked how much I have lost - I proudly told him and said Thank you.. I am really open about my journey. I try to include everyone in my life with how things are going. I need the support from.. anyone/everyone! They all know that I am working hard for this.. compliments are just the icing to the cake ( that I am ok not eating!! inside joke.. lol ) Results are motivation.. and having several people point out to you how great you look.. makes working this hard actually feel worth it.
  • chenrytc2
    Options
    Tell them thank-you and also re-affirm your committment by adding you are continuing you work towards and unreached goal. This way you and the person know that you have more work to do.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Usually when people go "Oh you've lost weight! You look great/good/amazing!"

I just say "Thanks, I FEEL great/good/amazing." :]

A simple thank you will never be the wrong thing to say ^-^

I always say "Thanks I am feeling great!"
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    "...just a work in progress..."
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Least ur getting noticed. I wish i can get that attention lol apparently my family lives in their own world never notices anything..sometimes i wonder if they know i even exist. :) enjoy the compliments not many of us get them and have been working so hard for it too :)

I hear you, my husband doesn't say anything constructive, I don't even bother telling him how much I've lost anymore. :ohwell:

To the OP, if anyone else notices I say "thanks for noticing" I might also add "it's a work in progress" all depending on who it is.

I'm doing this for me, no one else but it's nice to get your efforts noticed, it keeps you going.
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Why Yes I am sick, I have this crazy idea that if I adopted a health lifestyle I might just get more happy and be a bit more in shape. Or Did I mention that I had my mind removed and if you are going to ask such a stopid questio I jut might give you a freaky strange answer. Like no The kids have grown up and left tht is why I am slimmer.

Lol happened to me...
    "you've lost so much weight... you're not sick or anything are you?"
    Yes I keep loosing friends with stupid questions who can't realize I am the best I have been in a long time.

Then I'm sure I made a "WTF" face and said no I just workout lol

I think Just the WTF face is the best answer to it.