Is it bad if I forego Greek yogurt?

Options
I have been stomaching Greek yogurt for the past couple weeks, trying it with cinnamon, honey, berries, etc. and I still can't get past the taste. I have found it's a good substitute for sour cream/ranch for me, but as other uses I don't like it.

What's a good substitute for Greek yogurt, or, if I forego it completely in my diet, what should I add instead? Would it be OK to have say, half a cup of ice cream with berries instead (as long as it fits into my macros)?

For other "dairy", I also drink a glass of almond milk every day and occasionally have a serving of shredded/block cheese in a recipe as well.

Replies

• BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    People eat it because of the high Protein content. It's not a requirement. If you don't care for it, don't eat it. Eat regular yogurt, or chicken, or an egg, or pretty much anything you want.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure when they made a rule that everybody has to eat Greek yoghurt?
    Eat what you enjoy and what fits into your macros.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Why exactly are you eating it? Protein? Bacteria? Whatever? I don't eat Greek yogurt unless it is in a dish.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Don't eat something you don't like. lol. I use it in a few things once in a while but don't eat it plain.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why would it be bad? As long as you hit your macros, who cares how you got there?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    um ice cream and berries definately does not equal greek yogurt. If you cut out greek yogurt you cut out a chunk of protein, I'd be more worried about that then ice cream and berries :P
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with Greek yogurt. I would just make sure you don't go over your calories.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I like the flavoured ones, by itself I think its gross.
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    Yogur was on sale at my market (3 cups for a buck!!!). I checked out the contents.....it seems pretty reasonable, and may help as a snack for me. I am trying to stay on a high-protein diet (trying to up my intake to about 150-175g per day). I will taste it. There were many brands available, so I just checked out all of them, but bought the Lucerne Greek yogurt, as well as their "light" line. Yoplait lacked some protein, and had some extra sugar.

I am also trying out some Almond Milk. I am new to it, but I like it A LOT. Tastes/feels pretty close to chocolate milk, but without the added sugar. My Grocery Outlet has it at about 1.29 for a 4-Cup container. About the same price as milk, but I dont have to drink the whole amount by a certain time. It is great!
  • oreillyn
    oreillyn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are some really good yogurts out there that are just as thick as greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is defiantly not for everyone.

When you buy yogurt watch out for added sugars. I just had some blueberry yogurt today and gagged from how sweet it was.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I won't touch the stuff. I'll eat other yogurt (carbmaster and I need lower carbs ) , almond milk, coconut milk, low cal puddings, some cheeses, to get my dairy in.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    If you don't like Greek yogurt, get off the internet!!! :explode:
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    No. You are going to fail. Everybody knows that either you eat greek yogurt every day or you fail. The choice is yours.
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure when they made a rule that everybody has to eat Greek yoghurt?
    Eat what you enjoy and what fits into your macros.

This ^
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The dannon/stonycreek oikos ones are the only kind I found I can eat. The fruit on the bottom ones that is, they are sweet instead of sour I assume they have more sugar but they have 12 grams of protien. They have around 120 calories similar to most yogurts.
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    No. You are going to fail. Everybody knows that either you eat greek yogurt every day or you fail. The choice is yours.

:laugh: love the sarcasm!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    If you have something to supplement your protein (sooo many choices!) then, nope, not a big deal to eat it. I, personally, hate the flavored Greek yogurt and only get the plain. But, like you I mainly use it in other things (like my protein shakes, this amazing protein pancake recipe, or overnight oatmeal). Otherwise, I'll have it as a snack at work and mix it with sugar free pudding mix; usually chocolate and it tastes just like chocolate mousse! Yum!
  • Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't like it. I eat regular yogurt. I love Dannon's Light & Fit. The Strawberry is 80cals, so not bad at all.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm doing fine with my macros and my calcium intake, which is a concern of mine since I have osteopenia. I do not like Greek yogurt and one of my main food rules is that must enjoy every bite of food I eat. I am a big fan of Yoplait lite lemon, apricot mango, vanilla, and lime flavors. I know it has high-fructose corn syrup in it, but I only have one serving maybe three times a week. I also drink 1% milk, sometimes with Hershey's lite chocolate syrup. I eat string cheese, lots of grilled chicken, tuna and other protein sources.

There are many food sources. Don't eat anything you don't like!