Lifting Weights

Options
I know that just eating right and doing cardio isn't going to get my body in the shape I want. My question to all you lovely folks is where do I start? I have a gym membership and there are free weights and weight machines. I know free weights are better than machines and I know I should start small. Do i have to see a trainer or can I figure this out on my own? If I don't have to work with a trainer where do I start? Are there some small things I can do while I'm waiting to be able to sync schedules with the one trainer my gym has?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    new rules of lifting for women or strong lifts 5*5. also read starting strength by mark rippetoe, he has are a bunch of youtube videos on how to do things.

you can ask your trainer to show you proper form for the moves you've find in new rules and strong lifts but they are programs designed for you to do on your own with free weights
  • lollyish
    lollyish Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I started with squats and deadlifts and used the machines. Women should train just like men do, I think so anyways. Start with whatever weight you can do, about 8 reps is good. Anymore and you need more weight, any less and you need less weights.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I started out using 4 lb dumbbells. I used them until I could easily do 3 sets of 12, then I bumped it up to 10 lbs and currently use 12lb bells. I only weight train 3 times a week and break up the muscle groups that way my muscles have time to repair themselves. I never do cardio on weight days. I split it up, 3 days cardio 3 days weights. There's all kinds of websites with animations to show you how to do them correctly.
  • ptak1sm
    ptak1sm Posts: 172
    Options
    I have access to a trainer at my gym (included in my monthly fee), so that's how I got started. I do the same stuff as the men, just lighter weights. I would recommend meeting with a trainer once a month, if you can manage it, even if it's only for the accountability. It also helps to make sure you're getting your forms right.
    Otherwise, look into the literature and other info that are flying around here. No doubt you'll find something that works :)
  • browneyedmama03
    browneyedmama03 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Google Jamie Eason's Livefit program. It's free and everything from nutrition to workouts are mapped out for you. You can use it as a loose guide to start and get your feet wet. It's a good program!

Good luck to you!
  • Apocalypse_Meow
    Apocalypse_Meow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips! I'm just gonna suck it up and make time to see the trainer :)