Why can't I stop overeating?

Options
Lately every 2 or 3 days I end up binging and every time afterwards I tell myself I wont do that again, yet I do. I just don't know how to stop, even when I'm in the middle of eating my mind tells me to stop but I just cant control myself, it's like this other part of my takes over,
My trigger foods are mainly chocolate, ice-cream and peanut butter so I've decided I won't have any of those for a month and then see how it goes after that. But I have a horrible feeling that I'll give in, I mean I have every other time.

Has anyone here gone though this or do you have any tips?

Replies

• crazylikefox
    Options
    Your diary is open but it doesn't look like you are tracking. "Overeating" therefore, is more your personal opinion.

Track your food, and make sure you are eating enough so you aren't slashing your calories so low it makes you unsatisfied.

I highly recommend "The New Rules of Weightlifting for Women", especially the nutrition portion. I've discovered fiber will fill you up, but protein is really essential to sate hunger.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I go "cold turkey" on chocolate every so often. Why not give up one of your triggers at a time, and not put yourself under so much pressure.
  • torrmairi
    torrmairi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem (a hangover from a long, long starve-binge cycle) and the thing that helps me most is remembering that it's never so bad you can't fix it. Instead of thinking, I've messed today up, I might as well keep bingeing and then make up for it tomorrow, I tell myself that I can get back on the right track NOW - even if it's just by tracking my calories and thinking about what the trigger was.

Another thing you can do is portion off treats - you could put some crackers with peanut butter, some fruit etc into a small tupperware box beforehand, planning the calories into your day, then take it away from the kitchen and eat it slowly. Really concentrate on what it tastes like, not how much you have left in the cupboard.

Also, I like to keep lots of fresh fruit in the fridge, and books to read when my hands get fidgety. If I tell myself I want to eat x, I know that I WILL buy it and eat it unless I find a distraction - some cut-up fruit and a good novel always help that.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    http://youarenotsosmart.com/2012/04/17/ego-depletion/

Thought that was pretty interesting and may be relevant to weight control.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad thing to have a treat every now and then, just manage it. I try to have them on gym days xD

For me I could never give up chocolate, so I just work out when I can and can't have it, along with brioche. I still eat things I love bit in smaller doses and only when I have spare calories- I plot out my meals first thing and then work out how many 'spare' calories I have left. :3
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Being an emotional eater, I know what you mean. For me it's an emotional trigger. And once the eating/ bingeing starts, it doesn't stop until I'm like, exploding full.

Really, the best advice I have is to kinda lock down on your mouth. It takes time, for sure, when I first started there was so WAY I was even aware I was eating until 8000 calories (exaggeration) later I was like, oh...
    My other advice is to count out something before you eat it. I have chocolate every day. By that I mean 30 dark chocolate chips from the freezer. No, really, I count it out, and it put the package away. Maybe even leave the kitchen altogether.

Control is a mindset and it doesn't come immediately, but keep working, keep TRYING, keep being aware and you'll get to a point where you won't mindless eat, maybe even ever again. I'm kinda there. Haha!
  • LoneR113
    LoneR113 Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi,
    When I do go "OTT" with my binge, I just get back on the train the next day. That is to say, I don't give up on the day, I simply start it again if it is early. Don't beat yourself up over it, there is no point and that may bring on negativity and a replay. We've all done it, and probably will again - But the time in between binges will increase as you follow your journey. We're changing our lives, and that cannot happen overnight! :smile:
  • TheLiv
    TheLiv Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a self-confessed binger, but I'm trying to teach myself that there's a difference between overindulging and bingeing. I *can* enjoy certain foods without eating them to the point of feeling sick!

I've written out a list of reasons why I shouldn't binge and it's currently stuck in front of my desk. When I'm feeling the urge to binge, I read through the list and it strengthens my resolve. I've also printed out a calendar for August and every day I don't binge, I draw a smiley face on it; this is on the wall next to my anti-binge list. It sounds a bit silly, but looking at a page full of smiley faces showing you how well you've done can be enough to make you say 'no' to the binge, and go do something else.
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you're a comfort eater, you're going to struggle with it until you clarify what's causing it. I learn this the hard way. See a psychologist - the difference can be huuuuge.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Stop buying those foods if they aren't there it's hard to binge on them.

Carbs can be very addictive and some of that stuff you mentioned sounds really good. I'd probably binge on it too.

You need willpower. And make sure you're getting plenty of vitamins and nutrients so your body doesn't crave things as much. Once you get into the habit of eating healthy and avoid gorging yourself on those foods for a while you will not want to do it as much anymore if at all.
  • Casssie999
    Options
    Thanks everyone who replied.

I stopped tracking my food because I was becoming too obsessive about it, I got to the point where I (after a binge) I tried to make myself throw up. Turns out I don't have a gag reflex but it made me realise that I was placing way too much importance on food so I stopped tracking and luckily I've never felt that desperate since.

I really like the idea of writing an anti-binge list so I may try that.
  • imoquenn
    imoquenn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Haha, your trigger foods are exactly the same as mine! I can't have peanut butter in the house any more... or if I do, I make sure it's not the devilish Kraft stuff!

I have a tendency towards binging, but when I do, I try to practice mindfulness. First I ask: "Am I hungry?" If yes, I will eat a fairly small portion and chew my food thoroughly; it's always easy to get more food if you find it's not enough. If no, I ask myself what I'm hungry for that's making me want to binge. Usually, there's an emotion attached (whether that's boredom, sadness, etc), and what I'm hungering for is an alleviation of that emotion. I try to recognize that what I'm seeking isn't the food, it's the sense of satisfaction associated with that food.

Distractions help, too. I personally find drawing helps, or walking, or playing a few minutes of a video game. Pokemon's my personal favourite, haha!