Scale is moving again after 6 months !

Options
I'm 5 foot 2, and have lost 33 kgs now since April 8 2010. I'm currently 57.5 Kg (127 pounds) I've done it the slow way so as to preserve muscle mass and have enough energy to perform at sports and have a nicely toned body. I exercise intensely and do heavy weights.

For the last year or so I've been eating from between 1700 - 2200 calories mostly.

From Jan - June I had no scale weight loss even though I was getting thinner. My body composition was changing, and had to keep buying smaller clothes as I was losing heaps of centimetres.

Then a strange thing happend. My body decided ok, that it was ready to shed some scale weight again. I was hovering between 60 - 62 kg from Jan - June and now since June I've gotten down to 57.5 kg. Its all happened so fast in the space of just a couple of months!

I have read that I need to just keep doing the things im doing and the numbers will take care of themselves and that is what has happened. I'm really not even sure what weight my body will end up at. I've never been below the 57 kg mark as an adult and im currently aged in my late 30's. I'm looking really good now and people tell me I dont need to lose anymore I look amazing.

Im not that fussed on what number the scale will end up at as what I look like and feel like is the most important thing so what i've decided is to continue eating at a small defecit and within the calorie range 1700 - 2200 and just see what number my body naturally ends up at. Eventually my body weight will balance out at a number it is happy at. I've no idea what number but i'll just keep going and see what happens.

I did a comparison of my stats. Strange thing is there was very little difference. I ate the same amounts of calories from March - June as I did from June to August. I thought maybe I lost the weight because I was eating at the lower end of the range so that is why in the past couple of months I started to lose on the scale, but interestingly no the stats dont show that.

I'm thinking that my body just wasnt ready to lose on the scale until the last couple of months. My body mustve been going through a number of changes and it just wasnt ready yet to lose (scale weight). Interesting isnt it!

So I guess my advice to you is you have to be extremely patient with those last few pounds and your body will end up at the number it wants to end up at. You might not even lose much more scale weight either if your adding muscle. Also for some people it takes longer than others. I lost heaps in my first year of weight loss and from jan to june nothing but now all of a suddent the scale is moving so fast that its been quite a shock. I still would like to lose a little on my tummy area so i'll just keep eating at a smallish defecit and in my calorie range and see how long it takes.

I have muscle too so I dont think the scale will move much more than 57 kg and thats fine with me. Its nice though to be at this weight as im feeling light as a feather :)

Replies

• Becool75
    Options
    Kim55555, This a very heartening post, with well done to you for both persevering and providing encouragement to others.

I am like you in that since I began this journey the scales have not dropped as fast as I would like, but I know that I am getting fitter and feel better within myself. Also I find that the weight loss for me happens in cycles, where I will drop a kg and yoyo slightly before dropping to the next kg. This however has been slow progress. But hearing that you had a similar problem means that I I will keep going and like you know that it will come eventually

Thanks
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Kim55555, This a very heartening post, with well done to you for both persevering and providing encouragement to others.

I am like you in that since I began this journey the scales have not dropped as fast as I would like, but I know that I am getting fitter and feel better within myself. Also I find that the weight loss for me happens in cycles, where I will drop a kg and yoyo slightly before dropping to the next kg. This however has been slow progress. But hearing that you had a similar problem means that I I will keep going and like you know that it will come eventually

Thanks

Your welcome! :) & thanks!

Yes, same for me. In my 1st year of losing, I would lose very little for 3-4 weeks & then a 1.5-2 kg loss in the 4th or 5th week. It's important to take your monthly average & take note how your clothes are fitting, take measurements & regular photos or you get discouraged. At the beginning I would get a bit disheartened but then realised my body had a specific pattern.

Actually I have had a couple of longish scale plateaus . It also happened when I was around the 65 kg mark. But even though the scale didn't move, I was still making huge progress losing measurements. Scale eventually catches up. That one didn't last as long only 3 or 4 months but it was frustrating.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Congrats! And yes, thanks for reminding us that we have to be patient.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    In reply to someone on my friends list

Question was: "Have I changed what I've been doing?

Yes come to think of it I have eased up with my cardio a bit. Up until a few months ago I pretty much did cardio 7 days a week & when I'd burn out I'd have to have a day off. I also include weights twice a week too. So I would maybe have 1 day off of cardio every month or 2.

Now, for the past 3 months I only do cardio 5 times a week. I find its good to have that rest! Most of the sessions are very intense. I weight train 2 times a week. I've shortened my sessions too. I only do 2 long sports training sessions a week and & few short 20 min row or run sprints a week.

Before this I was doing long distance bike riding to work. 45 mins each way It was just too much. I also played sport at lunch time & sometimes rode my bike 45 min to work followed by running training. Yes so sometimes more is not always better. That is why I also developed knee soreness from overuse injury. Since I cut back on cardio my knees have been fine

I think maybe reducing my cardio has helped me get through my plateau but I can't be sure. Maybe
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Patience is a virtue. Thanks for the post! :happy:
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Thanks guys :)