for guys: I need your help!

Options
My brother wants to lose weight, he is a student and doesn't have time to go to the gym, but he started running on treadmill that we have in our house.
He asked me to write down the things he should eat during the day to lose weight!
He is not too fat but has 15-20 pounds to lose.
How many grams of protein should he aim for? And carbs? Oh and calories, around 2000 right?
I know how a girl should eat to lose weight but for guys i'm not so sure.

Replies

• Woodmangler
    Woodmangler Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be a smarta$$ or anything, but doesn't this site have all that information? He can join up and get all of that immediately.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    he's too lazy for that, i've been trying to make him join for a while now.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    raw vegetables
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I do push ups and planks on every commercial for about an hour. 40 40 20
  • chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Think i'm going to sound like woodmangler here, but if he's too lazy to download an app...
    That being said, tough to give any recommendations as each guy is a little different on what is needed, varies wildlydepending on goals. Just on my friends list i have guys at a 1350 cal/day goal up to 3000 cal/day goal. Best thing to do it really push the app if nothing else have him read some of the stickies.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    A very simple way of determining where to start off with your deficit it to multiply your total body weight in lbs by 11 if you are man. So, if we weighs 200 lb then that equates to 2,200 calories per day.

if he is too lazy to even do some rough calculations I doubt he will keep a track of his macros so telling him how many grams of protein, carbs and fat to aim for is a bit pointless.

Tell him to concentrate on high quality protein sources (chicken breast, turkey, beef, salmon, tuna, yougurt) fresh fruit and vegetables and good fats (nuts, olive oil) and keep junk food in check (some is fine but it can easily stop a fat loss routine dead in the water if left unchecked).

Tell him to be consistent and track progress every 2 - 4 weeks or so.

Add time and patience.

Job done.
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be a smarta$$ or anything, but doesn't this site have all that information? He can join up and get all of that immediately.

It seems to me that he'll need to commit to whatever it takes to lose the weight, if he's too lazy to sign-up, won't he be too lazy to make a lifestyle change? I'm not being a smarta$$ here, either, but I wasn't able to lose till I committed to lose. It's a worthwhile struggle (IMHO), but a struggle none-the-less.
  • Benphi91
    Benphi91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    He doesn't really need to exercise to lose weight. All he has to do is have a low carb diet and he'll lose that weight no problem.

Avoid bread, pasta etc, lot's of protein and veggies. See how that goes for a few weeks.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    thanks guys!
    what i meant is, he is too lazy to log everything, he wanted me to roughly tell him what exactly to avoid (obviously juices, sweets, carbs...)
    i know that guys should eat more than girls even on a weight loss diet.
  • dob70
    dob70 Posts: 2
    Options
    MSF74 is right on.. Some fruits, veggies, chicken, and fish are the most effective for me. I don't log everyday as I hit my goal and then some, but I still keep up my habbits. Oh, and he might need to stay away from beer. :-) If that is his thing. I know it's tough.
  • Benphi91
    Benphi91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Aim for things that aren't processed and more traditionally prepared meals. He really should use this site so he knows how many calories he should aim for, though.

As an example, a typical day for me is:
    - Porridge
    - Tuna omelette with spinach and cottage cheese
    - Chicken breast, veggies and rice
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    - Porridge

I thought only bears ate that....
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Have him go here and it will set him up with a meal plan http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    - Porridge

Not if little blond chicks get to it first.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    if he's too lazy to do this he's gonna be too lazy to lose weight. you cant do it for him
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    - Porridge

Only if it's just right. Not if it's too hot or cold of course.
  • jessepants
    jessepants Posts: 60 Member
    Options

It seems to me that he'll need to commit to whatever it takes to lose the weight, if he's too lazy to sign-up, won't he be too lazy to make a lifestyle change? I'm not being a smarta$$ here, either, but I wasn't able to lose till I committed to lose. It's a worthwhile struggle (IMHO), but a struggle none-the-less.

bingo...let's be honest here
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    thanks guys!
    what i meant is, he is too lazy to log everything, he wanted me to roughly tell him what exactly to avoid
    He sounds lazy in general. How much effort does it take to look up basic dietary information on the net? It's pretty lame that he has to ask you to do it for him.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    How many grams of protein should he aim for? And carbs? Oh and calories, around 2000 right?
    I know how a girl should eat to lose weight but for guys i'm not so sure.

:huh:

I eat 2000 calories and I'm a girl.
  • billx2
    billx2 Posts: 1
    Options
    - Porridge

Ha! I'm gonna have to get some porridge in then...