GPS HRM advice

Options
I'm looking into getting a new HRM and since I've been getting into cycling I'm interested in getting one with GPS too.

I like the look of this one but it's really a little above my budget - I mean I could just about afford it but would prefer not to spend quite so much. Can anyone recommend any others - I've heard great things about Garmin but I'd be open to other (cheaper) brands if anyone has tried any.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Womans-Heart-Rate-Monitor/dp/B003EGC36Q/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1344592543&sr=8-10

Thanks!! xx

Replies

• I have a Polar HRM and I love it, plus I bought it new off Ebay so it was cheaper :)
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    Timex makes some GPS watches with HRM but I don't think they have any that are specifically for women. They are larger and Timex has had issues with the GPS being slow to find satellites. I use a Garmin 405 and I'm very happy with it.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM and I love it, plus I bought it new off Ebay so it was cheaper :)

Do Polar do GPS ones? I think if I get one without GPS it'll almost certainly be a Polar x
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Polar FT60 does GPS as does the FT80.. but I'm not sure if it would be cheaper or more expensive, as you generally by the GPS sensor separate from the watch.

Do you have a smart phone? I use a GPS app on my phone when I run outdoors... and it works pretty well!
  • EmmaM2211
    Options
    Timex makes some GPS watches with HRM but I don't think they have any that are specifically for women. They are larger and Timex has had issues with the GPS being slow to find satellites. I use a Garmin 405 and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks - might have a look at some of those. I'm not too fussed what it looks like really since it's only when I'm exercising I'll be wearing it. xx
  • EmmaM2211
    Options
    Polar FT60 does GPS as does the FT80.. but I'm not sure if it would be cheaper or more expensive, as you generally by the GPS sensor separate from the watch.

Do you have a smart phone? I use a GPS app on my phone when I run outdoors... and it works pretty well!

Thanks - will look at those ones!

I do use my phone sometimes but it's annoying to have to carry. Would be easier if it was all in a watch :-) xx
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I have two Polar HRM and I decided because of price to use my phone for GPS I have it with me whenever I run and so with NIKE+ and MAPMYRUN as apps that not only gives me time and distance which the HRM would give but I have a map funtion built on those apps so I can see my run after on a map or if I get turned around in a different area call up the map and see where I am
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options

I do use my phone sometimes but it's annoying to have to carry. Would be easier if it was all in a watch :-) xx

If you have a comfortable arm band it disappears, you can't feel it. plus if you ride a bike you can keep it in your pocket.
    I don't know if the kind of GPS HRM has auto sync but a great advantage of HRM straps to use with a phone is that all your data is logged for you for your spreadsheet graphing pleasure.
    My next will be a Bluetooth strap to use with runkeeper, then distance, map, heart rate, etc. is stored in one place.
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    i heard the Garmin ones are really great and not bad at price....my friend got on from amazon.
  • EmmaM2211
    Options

If you have a comfortable arm band it disappears, you can't feel it. plus if you ride a bike you can keep it in your pocket.
    I don't know if the kind of GPS HRM has auto sync but a great advantage of HRM straps to use with a phone is that all your data is logged for you for your spreadsheet graphing pleasure.
    My next will be a Bluetooth strap to use with runkeeper, then distance, map, heart rate, etc. is stored in one place.

Oh that sounds interesting!! I like the idea of my phone picking up from my HRM - how does that work then? Is it a special type of HRM?

When I take my phone at the minute its in my pocket but it digs in and is uncomfortable - an armband might be a good idea though!

Thank you xx
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin forerunner 405. It works really well. Only down side is you have to be moving for it to work. Right now, you want it for outside, like I did. But, sometimes I'm just doing cardio to a video and I want my HRM to track that. It won't work. You have to be moving. So, I don't like it because of that. I'm now looking for one that will work on a treadmill, as an example.
  • drezha
    drezha Posts: 18
    Options
    HRM for the phone depends on the phone - chances are it's for the iPhone and uses the ANT+ adapter (which costs about £40 from Amazon)

You already know my recommendation ;)
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Oh that sounds interesting!! I like the idea of my phone picking up from my HRM - how does that work then? Is it a special type of HRM?

When I take my phone at the minute its in my pocket but it digs in and is uncomfortable - an armband might be a good idea though!

Thank you xx
    Runkeeper and CardioTrainer are two apps that work with Bluetooth straps or transmitters. I haven't bought mine yet. I'm waiting for my polar f6 to die to make the +/- $80 investment. The strap sends a Bluetooth signal to the phone and the app on the phone records your HR along with route, speed, incline, pace, etc . Since I don't have it I dont know if it can be used on a treadmill. That is a good question.
  • EmmaM2211
    Options
    I have a Garmin forerunner 405. It works really well. Only down side is you have to be moving for it to work. Right now, you want it for outside, like I did. But, sometimes I'm just doing cardio to a video and I want my HRM to track that. It won't work. You have to be moving. So, I don't like it because of that. I'm now looking for one that will work on a treadmill, as an example.

I didnt know that - good to know, I do have an exercise bike that I use when I dont want to go outside (like when its raining lol)

Maybe I will go for a regular polar HRM and get an armband for my phone in that case.

Thank you everyone - really great advice as always :-) xxx
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Thank you xx
    Runkeeper and CardioTrainer are two apps that work with Bluetooth straps or transmitters. I haven't bought mine yet. I'm waiting for my polar f6 to die to make the +/- $80 investment. The strap sends a Bluetooth signal to the phone and the app on the phone records your HR along with route, speed, incline, pace, etc . Since I don't have it I dont know if it can be used on a treadmill. That is a good question.

Endomondo also works with Bluetooth transmitters.

I think most GPS apps are for outside, since it's hard to get a GPS signal indoors.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    garmin forerunner is a wonderful GPS watch and HRM..but the whole thing is useless when you see the 'maps' ..it's just a grey squiggle on a yellow background. no point in investing so much money on a GPS device if the map is just a grey squiggle. I'd say look at better brands.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Let me know what you end up getting! I would LOVE to get one with a gps so I don't have to carry my phone around on my runs!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    garmin forerunner is a wonderful GPS watch and HRM..but the whole thing is useless when you see the 'maps' ..it's just a grey squiggle on a yellow background. no point in investing so much money on a GPS device if the map is just a grey squiggle. I'd say look at better brands.

Ignore this - if you use garmin Connect you will get your route overlaid onto a google or bing maps - satellite view if you like.