Suggestions for better coping mechanisms?

Options
So, long story short, about three years ago in the window of about 5 days, I lost everything -- a career I loved, the love of my life, my home and everything in it. It's certainly given me an opportunity to redirect and redefine my life... but ever since then I struggle with occasional bouts of "the blues" and self-pity parties. For about as far back as I can remember, my go-to coping mechanism for grief and depression has been food. My psyche attributes a full stomach (typically packed with unhealthy foods to boot) with comfort and love, followed of course, by a long bout of sleep which doesn't help matters ... How do I break this?

Yes, I've been told "take a walk!" and "do a quick few minutes of exercise!" The problem with that solution is that I fight exercise even on really GOOD days, so expecting me to push through the fog of tears and/or lethargy on bad days is fairly unrealistic at this juncture... I'm not looking for anything drastic -- just something that gives me a spark of hope on bad days that doesn't come anywhere near food (or even steers me away from it). So help a girl out... What do you do to make yourself feel better on rough days?

Replies

• maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Like clockwork I end up in a depression every summer that lasts 1-3 months and it's caused me to gain weight so much. The best way to deal with it without eating is to just recognize that it's a really bad day, reassure myself that eventually it will be better (it always gets better) and try to distract myself in the best way I can. I've played a LOT of Bubble Shooters. Housework, if you're up to it. Long drives, if you can get out of the house and/or stand it. This sounds weird but I like to go to the health food store where they have the refrigerated water and get a big bottle of some kind of exotic water you've never heard of before. My favorite one lately is the water in a milk carton, because it's big and recyclable. That will keep you busy without munching on something. Sometimes music helps, but usually it does not, because I don't want to associate music I like with a time I don't.

Oh, and hot showers.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Exercise.

Sorry, it's not the answer you want to hear, but it's the best answer.
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options
    Not sure if you a spiritual person, but times like this is when prayer and meditation is necessary. Start small with your workout routine the most important step is that first.......keep going!
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My dogs! They are an absolute joy and give unconditional love always and really appreciate you. If you don't have a pet is it something you can consider
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Make a mix-tape of music that makes you feel better, whether that's some rousing Sousa marches or something soothing like Tubular Bells, or some singalong Abba.

Explore aromatherapy - smell is a very powerful connector to the emotions, and there are some scents which will calm you and/ or relax you.
  • manda_rae_k
    Options
    I need to do something to keep my hands and mouth busy when I'm feeling depressed, otherwise I'll start eating...I've began playing my clarinet again. (Used to play in high school) Not only does it keep me busy, but the music is also very soothing.
  • oldsalty1
    Options
    I have to agree with the exercise...You know we all face depression in crazy levels and cycles...When I am feeling punky..I either wallow in it and eat...or I chose to go to some extreme cardio work out...

I am not coordinated for many reasons...the Zumba makes me concentrate on the steps...and sweat!! The extreme cardio...makes me sweat..but the exercises change so quickly I must concentrate on them.

In other words...I can not think about the depression for a little while because I have to focus...after the exercise I am still getting all the wonderful endorphins released during exercise...

Not saying this is the cure for depression...this is just how I move through it...Oh...and make a protein shake to have after the work out..
  • loozit4good
    loozit4good Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I keep a journal and before eating out of emotions, I talk about it in my journal. By the time I write it out and read it again, I'm not wanting the food to comfort me. There must be things you "love" to do even on bad days. Set yourself up to do those things when you get to this point. I struggle with excercise, but I tell myself I don't have to do a lot, just something, also "fake it till you make it" mentallity helps. If your belief is that eating will help you on bad days, you will always choose the food. We tend to do the things we believe. Good luck.
  • jessgumkowski88
    jessgumkowski88 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I tend to plants when I'm feeling down. It gets me moving, and being around nature is subconsciously endorphin boosting, it makes you feel a little better. Plus if I work on helping my plants, I'm not focusing on me.
    Some times watching a movie I've never heard of helps too.
  • AlissaFL
    AlissaFL Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It can be frustrating when the thing you do to comfort yourself makes you feel worse in long run. I would suggest thinking about other activities that make you smile or happy. If it isn't exercise, then don't do it. (Don't do it with the hopes of making you feel good, do it because you believe in the benefits.) Some of my coping mechanisms are talking to friends, watching a movie, watching tv, reading a book, shopping, writing, changing my scenery, etc. Those all work, but not when I'm really down. And when I feel like that I just throw a huge pity party and work through my issue. I wrote down all the stuff that was bothering me, all the people and what they had done, no matter how trivial it seemed and put in al spreadsheet. Then I went through and answered what would have to happen for me to get over that offense. And at the end, I realized I only had an issue with a couple of things, not 40 like I thought, that I had "fixed" the majority of the problems, they were just all emotionally connected. By sorting through them, I disconnected them from each other and could see that I had made progress on most of my issues.
    Since you had so many big issues occur in a short amount of time, you probably have them all mashed together and that makes them seem overwhelming. You also probably put a lot of feelings on the back burner because you had immediate needs that had to be handled right then. You didn't have the luxury of dealing with your emotions at the time. And now that it's been three years, you or others thing you should be over it, but your not. Try just delving into the issues, letting yourself feel what you feel and see if that doesn't give you a different perspective. I hope that helps! : )
  • jessgumkowski88
    jessgumkowski88 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Plus I don't know about you but I can't handle exercise when I'm depressed. Everything feels like it hurts and it feels like i need all my energy just to do simple things like moving my hands.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It's exercise for me, too. I ONLY listen to my iPod when I'm walking, and it's full of music that always keeps me going, even if I'm not going very fast. Last summer, I had one very rough month, and I spent a lot of time out walking. I found that if I walked long enough (sometimes to the point of exhaustion, it felt), then I could walk back in the door and not have that need to stuff my face quite as much.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    This is honestly the point in time where if you are able, please try to seek professional help. You clearly want to learn new coping mechanisms and have had a very rough period of time. A therapist/counselor/psychologist is going to be able to work with you and really push you to figure out why you are using food as a coping mechanism and techniques you can use instead and way to change your thinking about food.

But if you're not willing or unable to go seek professional help, some activities we give to our clients are journaling, especially when you have the feelings that trigger you to start eating in your case, and the events that occured around it. You can try meditation techniques as well to help clear your mind, deep breating and relaxation work as well, keeping yourself away from access to food while those triggers are around, and unfortunately, we do suggest exercise as well because exercise helps the seratonin and dopamine receptors in your brain. So as much as it sucks, drag yourself out of bed, and go walk for 15 mins, and do it everyday, cry while you're walking if you need to/have to, but most important is go do it. Its not an easy process and its not going to be fun, but ultimately until you start working towards making those changes then you are never going to make them. Put some headphones on, your favorite music, and go walk, even if its 5 mins up the road and back.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    One thing that seems to help me is playing games, whether it's pogo.com, a crossword, soduku, just something. It keeps my hands busy, my mind busy, and it's good for your brain. The time seems to go by faster than expected as well. And if you want to combine exercise and games, try some of the XBox Kinect games. They are fun, and they involve movement, so you get both in one!
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you like to do. I used to use drawing and music as a stress relief. There is also exercise. For every negative thought you have, try to think of 3 good ones. Sounds corny but it works.
  • singingpeach6301
    singingpeach6301 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you've considered it or tried it, but seeing a councelor is something that helps me to cope with the rough stuff in life. I initially started seeing her for mild anxiety, but also discovered that I was still harboring grief from the loss of a loved one from over 10 years ago that quite often would lead me to emotionally overeat, and also contributed to anxiey. Since seeing her, I go twice a month, I've learned to recognize my emotional eating patterns and have been able to employ some of the meditation techniques she taught me to overcome the cravings as well as the anxiety. I would recommend it to anyone! Plus, sometimes its just good to be able to unload all of the stuff most of us tend to keep bottled up. I think emotional and mental weight can outweigh us physically sometimes.

If you don't think counseling is your thing, then I would definitely recommend meditation, and even prayer if you're a spiritual person. A few other things that might help: if you play an instrument or have always wanted to learn now would be a great time, call up a close friend and plan a girls night, get a pedicure, read a book, and last but not least, hit the gym (I'm still working on this one too!!). Best of luck to you! :)
  • MadeInDR022
    Options
    I keep a journal and before eating out of emotions, I talk about it in my journal. By the time I write it out and read it again, I'm not wanting the food to comfort me. There must be things you "love" to do even on bad days. Set yourself up to do those things when you get to this point. I struggle with excercise, but I tell myself I don't have to do a lot, just something, also "fake it till you make it" mentallity helps. If your belief is that eating will help you on bad days, you will always choose the food. We tend to do the things we believe. Good luck.

I go with this. I write. I usually write every time I feel any sort of way, happy even. It's a way to keeo myself in check, to realize what I'm doing and to reflect on how I react. Reassuring yourself that things WILL get better, seems to work too. My issues have gone the opposite way since I started my journey. These days I undereat, rather than overeat. But I do the same thing...I also log into MFP and read my profile, my inspirations, my goals. That helps me alot too...
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    For me, music helps a great deal, and writing, but then I've been a long term writer. This last was a bit surprising to me, but recently I've been doing yoga. Not classes but an app that I found for my ipad. It's very simple, very peaceful.
  • 135OHK
    135OHK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I am feel down in the dumps and or just wanting to eat, it helps if I lose myself in a really good book. I drive to the park and find a nice sunny spot to sit and read. I can end up reading for an hour or more. The sunshine makes me feel better and my mind is completely off of food and deep into the book. (and sometimes I feel so good after reading that I will actually take a walk) Or I make myself a cup of tea and sit on the couch and read. It's good to take a nice break and indulge yourself in something that is 'good' for you. Good luck.....I too suffer from bouts of 'feeling all alone and abandoned' as my kids are grown and leading their own lives and my grandchildren are getting to that age where they don't need me much. And yes....prayer if you are so inclined, helps too.
  • courtneyleem
    Options
    I completely understand. I moved 3000 km away from my all of the people I know to a remote northern community and I've struggled with depression more than ever since the move. Pushing yourself to exercise is hard, so don't until you feel better.

I have lots of hobbies and a cat. I knit, crochet, make jewelry, cross stitch, play computer games, garden, sculpt. I have so many hobbies because some days you will wake up, and none of them will be appealing (it's part of the depression), so I find a new one. Take a trip to the local craft store, and pick something new to try!

EDIT: I also totally forgot about reading. Two nights ago I read a young adult fiction book in one sitting.