Does a cold shower really burn calories?

Your body has to burn calories to get its temperature back up to normal, so it would make sense that it did. But how many does it burn?

Replies

• ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    really stretching to get a couple extra calories burnt??? lol
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Likely not enough to make it count unless you go into hypothermia so you're better off having a nice warm shower and just working out.
  • it also allegedly boosts testosterone levels
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Burrrr, I'd rather work out and sweat my a** off to burn the calories then to ever even turn the cold water on.. (which I never do)
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    I heard this on Dr Oz! lol
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Your body has to burn calories to get its temperature back up to normal, so it would make sense that it did. But how many does it burn?

0.000000000005 calories per decade.

I don't think you should consider it burned calories, it's in your best interest not to.
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    I dont think it burns calories as much as it 'prevents' your body from getting into a relaxed type of state. This is a trick a few girls I hung out with used to do...it didnt really do much for them lol. BUT I know using cold water after the shower helps to close your pores and tighten your skin =D so not such a bad idea.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Hahaha. Even if it does, it would not be anything significant to actually think about. Otherwise I think I would be taking several cold showers a day! XD
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    You burn some calories, especially if you get cold enough to shiver and get goose bumps, both of which burn up lots of calories. But most people don't stay in a cold shower that long unless it's really hot outside, in which case your metabolism is lower than normal all the time you aren't in the shower.

Swimming tends to use up more. Even though the water may be warmer, the amount of heat loss is large with your entire body immersed.

You use a lot of calories working or exercising outdoors on a cool day. When you get warm enough that you have to take off a layer of clothing, you know you're burning extra calories.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member

It depends on if you're alive or not. If you're alive, you'll burn calories while freezing in your shower. If you're dead you will not. I prefer to burn calories while doing things such as breathing, watching television, and cutting my toenails.

On a more serious note, I wouldn't put too much effort into showering yourself skinny. Yeah, your body will need to burn cals to maintain body temps but I'd rather go for a walk or play catch with my kids, either of which would burn more cals than freezing myself in a shower.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Depends on what other activities you get up in the shower...

but generally no.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member

but generally no.

FTW!
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member

but generally no.
    yup. shower with a friend and then you can count it as cardio. :)
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,238 Member

but generally no.

omw.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    You use a lot of calories working or exercising outdoors on a cool day. When you get warm enough that you have to take off a layer of clothing, you know you're burning extra calories.

This was extremely helpful. Thanks for posting.
  • killersushi13
    killersushi13 Posts: 19 Member
    The theory for it is that it lowers your body temp so your body burns calories to try and make it regulate again.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member

but generally no.
    yup. shower with a friend and then you can count it as cardio. :)

This!
  • Caitella
    Caitella Posts: 29 Member
    This is just hilarious!
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,385 Member
    I shower with a friend. I find it burns more calories and my back gets a nice scrubbing.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    This is a bit of a stretch dont ya think
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,202 Member
    Wouldnt do the cold shower but if you drink your water on ice, your body has to burn more calories to warm it up. Cant hurt. :)
  • BabeedollB
    BabeedollB Posts: 161 Member
    Burrrr, I'd rather work out and sweat my a** off to burn the calories then to ever even turn the cold water on.. (which I never do)

^^^^this, I never turn my cold water on either!!!
  • BabeedollB
    BabeedollB Posts: 161 Member

0.000000000005 calories per decade.

I don't think you should consider it burned calories, it's in your best interest not to.

Bwhahahahahaha!!!!!!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    I'm sure it burns a few calories. Go ahead and eat an extra almond!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Not enough to be significant. Your body is great at dealing with cold environments, and will just reduce blood-flow to your skin. You will have better results drinking cold beverages, which is still pretty marginal, but if you drink 40 degree beverages instead of 70 degree, you will burn around 30 calories per liter (in my head calculation, not precise :P), give or take, which can add up. If you are really that desperate to eek out every calorie possible. Definitely will burn more than the shower.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Drinking cold liquids is easier to calculate. To calculate the calorie consumption in a cold shower, you would have to know how much warmer the water going over your body became due to you standing in the shower vs. how much it would warm up if you weren't in the shower. But the cold liquid you drink will be completely raised to body temperature before it becomes urine.

To calculate cold liquids, a calorie is the energy needed to raise one gram of water on degree celsius. So a 16 oz glass (500 ml water = 500 grams) of water that is ice cold (between 0-4 degrees celsius) has to be raised to body temperature (37 degrees celsius). That's 18,500 calories!

But here's the bad news. The calories we're talking about are actually "Calories" with a capital C, otherwise known as kilocalories. There are 1000 calories in a Calorie. So you would burn 18 Calories drinking 16 oz of ice water.
  • drixnot
    drixnot Posts: 1
    I've actually been researching this topic quite a bit. From what I've read being cold burns just as many calories as working out... but because working out is already warming you up doing it in a cold environment isn't going to help much... your body already has the furnace on so to speak.

One of the things I'be been reading is a site discussing how many more calories a person needs to consume if they are backpacking in the winter vs. what they need in the summer doing the same activity.... the difference is at least 1000-1500 calories! That is already taking into account a person who is dressed appropriately.

That being said... just jumping into a cold shower isn't recommended either if you aren't used to doing that sort of thing. Just applying an ice pack to the back of your neck and spine is more than enough.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Cold showers is a technique right out of the anorexics' handbook. True or false, if you are concerned about those extra few calories that you *might* lose by turning down the temperature in the shower, you might want to take a step back and see if you're taking things a bit too far.
  • Benphi91
    Benphi91 Posts: 31 Member
    You'll burn the same amount of calories whatever the temperature of your shower.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member

So does taking your regular hot showers.