I feel too weak for strength

Options
Hello,

Please could somebody give me some tips regarding strength training?

I use dumbells which are 2kg each and I basically do the moves from Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. I'll admit that I only do this about twice a week but this is because I just find it so so hard! It is sooo painful, and I get so out of breath! Are the dumbells too heavy? They don't seem it?!

The only strengthening exercises I can do without wanting to die are sit ups and crunches, and reverse crunches. And I have strong thighs so squats and lunges etc aren't too hard but I'd like to tone up more.

I have never really got proper advice regarding strengthening exercises but I NEED to tone up. Does anyone have a link to a fairly simple but effective programme for beginners? I have very weak arms.

I do cardio at the gym by the way about 3-4 times a week.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Georgina

Replies

• MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Bodypump classes. Love them. You can start light and work up, and you can go heavier for the workouts with the muscles that are stronger (for me that's thighs, so I up my weights for squats and lunges and also deadlifts for back muscles) and lower the weights for the weaker ones (my triceps are awful!)

They also combine the weights with press ups, sit ups, dips etc so you get some bodyweight resistance work.
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Drop down the amount of weight you are using. Try the routine without weights for a few days. Any strength training routine is getting your body to use muscle it normally doesn't use day to day. Worn out and sore is part of the learning curve in the beginning of strength training. Over time that will decrease as your body becomes used to working out.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you're out of breath, it sounds more like an endurance issue than a strength issue. And the only way to improve is to push through it.

When I started doing circuit training (I didn't do 30DS, but EA Sports Active 2, but it's similar), a 20 minute workout would leave me in a sweaty, out-of-breath heap on the floor, thankful it was over.

It gets better. :smile:
  • chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    A very good read is New Rules of Lifting for Women. Also can checkout Stronglifts 5x5 program. Very simple, very effective.
    You said it's painful, is that joint pain or holy crap these are heavy pain?
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the suggestions so far. 2kg seems so light! But it may be time to drop down to 1kg..........

It is definitely endurance - my joints are luckily very healthy.

I would like to go to a body pump class but unfortunately the gym only has it at the times I would not be able to make!!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    30d shred is cardio, really.
    check out new rules of lifting for women.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I glanced at your diary for the last several days. If this is a true indication of what you are eating, you are not even fueling your body to sit on the couch. Most days you ate less than 900 calories. If your diary is not correct then follow the advice above. If it is, you need to give your body some fuel and you will be able to exercise every day if you wanted to! Best of luck to you!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    A very good read is New Rules of Lifting for Women. Also can checkout Stronglifts 5x5 program. Very simple, very effective.
    You said it's painful, is that joint pain or holy crap these are heavy pain?

This. Those videos are not for strength, they are for endurance.

Lifting should be between 6-8 reps for 3 series for example.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30-day shred, and I get a bit out of breath with it too - more so with the weight exercises than the cardio. I'm getting used to it though - I've been doing it every day, and am feeling stronger now after just 6 days. I am using 1kg weights - maybe it would be easier for you to use those? I think I would find it too hard with 2kg weights, although I'd like to do it again with them in the future.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Like a couple of others have said, if you're not used to lifting then start lighter and work up. You could just start off with your bodyweight and then as that becomes easier add a weight in. I do a dvd by the firm called total body tone. I absolutely love it. You can do with weights or without and it really does work your whole body. I haven't got up to using weights yet but I'm hoping I'll get there soon! Don't get discouraged or think you're weak just because you can't lift heavy weights. Everybody has to start somewhere! :-)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Drop down the amount of weight you are using. Try the routine without weights for a few days. Any strength training routine is getting your body to use muscle it normally doesn't use day to day. Worn out and sore is part of the learning curve in the beginning of strength training. Over time that will decrease as your body becomes used to working out.

I would say do the opposite. Increase the weight and do less reps and take more rest between sets and exercises.

Eating more will also give you more energy. aim for 1400+ calories/day.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    30 Day shred is great for low weight high rep. The rows move is great for adding more weight though, the move itself is done correctly just add heavier weights / dumbells.

There are great plans like the 100 push up challenge if you google it, that will give you a programme of push ups that you start at your own level and increase. :) they work brilliantly for strengthening the shoulders / arms and in time you could move from bent legs to full push ups even if it sets you back (which it will do) you can move from one upwards.

If you look at bodybuilding.com have a look for body weight exercises, all great for not needing weights but using your own weight to strengthen yourself. Dips for instance could be done on the side of the bath and strengthen your triceps. The main thing to do is work on all muscle groups, either together or separately.

If you go to a gym have a word with the staff and start adding weights, say 2 sets of 8 and as heavy as you can cope with. The heavier the better as it'll build strength better than light and high reps.
  • porffor
    Options

I would say do the opposite. Increase the weight and do less reps and take more rest between sets and exercises.

I agree :)
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 9 of a free 30-Day Barbell challenge and I feel really good, getting stronger. Here's the link if you're interested. I've lost about 3lbs and am close to breaking through my two-year plateau. Provides a good foundation for the beginner strength trainer. Every day is a little different and works different muscles.

http://wholelifestylenutrition.com/30-day-dumbbell-challenge/the-full-workout-library-of-the-free-30-day-dumbbell-challenge/
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary too. Please please please eat more. What you're eating now is nothing. You need more protein and carbs especially if you're going to be strength training. Carbs aren't all evil. Wholewheat pasta, wraps etc, they're all ok. Just balance it out. Your endurance will improve massively.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    A few things: As others have said you need to be eating a LOT more. Also, 30DS is not a strength building program. You will see some minor gains from it as a beginner but if your goal is to actually increase strength you need to be doing a totally different style of exercise.
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Thank you once again for some great advice.

Re. my diary, I sometimes forget to log - this happens mostly with dinner. I am usually eating rice with some sort of meat/fish and sauce when I eat at my boyfriend's about 3 times a week, the rest of the week it'll be vegetables, potatoes and meat or fish - to be honest I get my main source of calories and nutrients from my dinners. I know it is bad that I forget to log it but I am trying to log it more often.

My goal is to tone up, whether that is strength training I'm not sure - as you can tell I am not very knowledgable when it comes to exercise other than cardio.

Thank you for the links, I have saved them to read later on and tomorrow.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Stick with the weights. Do as many reps as you can with them, then drop them for the remainder of that exercise. In a few days you'll find you're able to do more each time.

30 Day Shred is NOT strength training, it's circuit training - lots and lots of reps at low weight. Google a beginner's dumbbell workout and I bet you'll find the weight really easy when you're just doing biceps curls and shoulder presses for three sets of eight! You may even rush out and buy heavier weights :happy:
  • porffor
    Options
    I'm on Day 9 of a free 30-Day Barbell challenge and I feel really good, getting stronger. Here's the link if you're interested. I've lost about 3lbs and am close to breaking through my two-year plateau. Provides a good foundation for the beginner strength trainer. Every day is a little different and works different muscles.

http://wholelifestylenutrition.com/30-day-dumbbell-challenge/the-full-workout-library-of-the-free-30-day-dumbbell-challenge/

This looks pretty good but shame they extend the reps rather than sets with breaks for experience... Great use of dumbbells though.Heavier dumbbells would be my way on this.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I think doing 30 day shred twice a week is worst than doing it every day. You should do it more often. You will get into the routine, but twice a week is not often enough. You dont have to do the advance type, you can build into it, but you gotta do it every day