Weighing myself: Which number should I use?

Hey guys,
Should I be weighing myself in the morning or in the middle of the day? I noticed once that when I weighed myself at both times in one day, I weighed almost 3-4 lbs more in the afternoon. My stomach also gradually gets a bit more bloated throughout the day than it is in the morning (is this normal?). So, which weight should I be recording: the morning one or the afternoon one?

Edit: I just want to clarify: I don't weigh myself every day, let alone twice a day. I only did that once because I was curious as to whether or not there's a difference in my weight throughout the day, and if so, how much.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    the morning one - after toilet, before breakfast, should be more consistent from day to day.
  • Definitely weigh yourself in the morning and don't do it every day. I like to do it once a week.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    First thing in the morning is always best. The food and water you consume during the day will cause your weight to be higher because your body hasn't fully absorbed or disposed of it. In the afternoon, your lunch is just sitting there in your stomach, so it's only natural that you'd weigh a little more after eating than you did before.

And it's fine to weigh yourself every day, but I would only record the weight once a week (always on the same day, same time of day, wearing essentially the same thing). There will be day-to-day fluctuations that don't carry much meaning, as far as whether you are losing or gaining weight. Week to week is a better guide.
  • Benphi91
    Benphi91 Posts: 31 Member
    There's no point weighing yourself every day, it's completely irrelevant.

Stick to once a week at the same time ( preferably morning) during the day.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    I weigh daily but only record weekly.

Morning, definitely. Get up, go to the bathroom, strip to your skivvies and weigh in. That way you get the most consistent results.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    I sometimes weigh myself around five times a day then average it out.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    gnocchi..you may be raked over the coals for weighing multiple times per day. To each his/her own, I say, but some are very vehement about their feelings on multiple daily weigh-ins...
  • heddy90
    heddy90 Posts: 144 Member
    (is this normal?)

Of course it is :) You drink and eat through out the day, unless you're a robot, and food and water is not weightless. It doesn't disappear once you've eaten it, and therefore adds to your weight. With that in mind you should weigh yourself in the morning, after going to the bathroom, so you're only weighing your own body, and not the water and food you've eaten as well.
  • xshortiex
    xshortiex Posts: 120 Member
    Thanks for the feedback!

I just want to clarify: I don't weigh myself every day, let alone twice a day. I only did that once because I was curious as to whether or not there's a difference in my weight throughout the day, and if so, how much.
  • Mlbutlertn
    Mlbutlertn Posts: 3 Member
    It is recommended that your weigh first thing in the morning. First, b/c its a dry weight. your body is somewhat dehydrated from lack of consumption for several hours. also, because it's before you put anything in your mouth, so it's more consistent, since food consumption varies everyday for most people. However, if you have a scale that measures body fat percentage, you will want to check that in the afternoon. A dehydrated measurement will appear higher in fat than a hydrated one, so it is recommended your weigh and check and body fat percentage in the afternoon, preferably just before dinner on relatively empty stomach. weight in the morning, body fat percentage in the afternoon. good luck!
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    First thing in the morning is always best. The food and water you consume during the day will cause your weight to be higher because your body hasn't fully absorbed or disposed of it. In the afternoon, your lunch is just sitting there in your stomach, so it's only natural that you'd weigh a little more after eating than you did before.

And it's fine to weigh yourself every day, but I would only record the weight once a week (always on the same day, same time of day, wearing essentially the same thing). There will be day-to-day fluctuations that don't carry much meaning, as far as whether you are losing or gaining weight. Week to week is a better guide.

Although it is fine to weigh yourself everyday, collective experience has shown it is more of a discouragement than it is generally worth. Here is what works for me- Focus on the inches- if your clothes are getting looser, you are headed in the right direction. This doesn't happen overnight, but it will happen if you make eating healthy and exercise a lifestyle and not a short term goal. View weight loss as a benefit to your new, healthy lifestyle and not a end goal and you will be much better able to ride out the inevitable minor flucuations of weight during this journey. :) Savor each NSV you discover along the way... and give encouragement as you have received it.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    Anecdotally, it is more of a discouragement than it is generally worth. A lot of people would say that weighing every day motivates them to stay on top of their diet and exercise habits. Or that it has helped them learn more about their bodies and what causes their weight to be higher on certain days or at certain times of day. As I said in my first post, I wouldn't advise logging your weight every single day because the fluctuations from one day to the next are not a good indicator of whether or not you are gaining or losing weight overall. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with weighing every day and making a mental note of how steady (or unsteady) your weight is from day to day.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Weight fluctuations throughout the day are common. It really doesn't matter WHEN you weigh yourself, but I would do it at the same time each day, with the same clothes (or lack of) each time.
    Morning supposedly is most consistent because you don't have all the foods still in your gut or excess water you've take in. But really, there's nothing magic about mornings.
  • epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    I am one of those people who weighs everyday. I don't get paranoid about little ups, even for a couple of days. What I have found is that if I am not on the scale that morning I will eat out of control. I need that accountability for myself. Your mileage may vary.

pip
  • jlt1968
    jlt1968 Posts: 77 Member
    I weigh in the morning right after I get out of the shower and usually on Thursday or Friday. That way what ever horrible things I did on the weekend are out of my system.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    There's no point weighing yourself every day, it's completely irrelevant.

Stick to once a week at the same time ( preferably morning) during the day.
    i actually weigh myself every day for his reason. i only record once a week though. i like to see the daily fluctuations because it reminds me that my weekly weigh in could be influenced by all kinds of factors. that way i don't get bummed if i don't lose one week.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    It doesn't make a difference what time of day. You do fluctuate throughout the day, and certain times of the month. you are more concerned about the trend then the actual number on the scale. Just make sure its the same day of the week, same clothing, {or lack of}, and same time of day. Remember its not the number, but the trend.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    However, if you have a scale that measures body fat percentage, you will want to check that in the afternoon. A dehydrated measurement will appear higher in fat than a hydrated one, so it is recommended your weigh and check and body fat percentage in the afternoon, preferably just before dinner on relatively empty stomach

Thanks for that! I've been wondering why my BF% is so much higher in the morning than in the afternoon! I don't check it often but I did notice the difference.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    honestly it doesn't necessarily matter which number you use as long as you are consistent with the timing...you will get a lower number if you weigh first thing, but as long as you weigh near the same time everytime you log it your results should be similar :)
    and i am one of those people who does weigh myself daily and sometimes more than once, but i have developed a relationship with the scale that is realistic...i know that if my weight is 5lbs heavier at night than it was in the morning that i didn't 'gain' 5lbs that day :) but it keeps me accountable and i know that my body fluctuates a LOT...to each there own :)
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Anecdotally, it is more of a discouragement than it is generally worth. A lot of people would say that weighing every day motivates them to stay on top of their diet and exercise habits. Or that it has helped them learn more about their bodies and what causes their weight to be higher on certain days or at certain times of day. As I said in my first post, I wouldn't advise logging your weight every single day because the fluctuations from one day to the next are not a good indicator of whether or not you are gaining or losing weight overall. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with weighing every day and making a mental note of how steady (or unsteady) your weight is from day to day.

^^^ This!

I weigh daily just to see what those fluctuations are, then I don't freak out if I go up or down a little because I know that's normal for my body. I can also then get to know my body and how I'm feeling one morning vs. another, and whether that's reflected on the scale or in other ways (clothes fitting better, or more energy, or whatever).

Personally I log every day, but only retain a weekly weight...on a nerdy spreadsheet with a trendline. So long as the trendline isn't going up, regardless of numbers, I'm happy.