Flabby arms!

Options
Unfortunately on my side of the family it seems if the girls gain weight the first thing we get are flabby arms (thanks mom! ;) ). Anyways what are some good workouts to help with that? I have been doing some arm workouts and I can definitely see the tone and definition on the front side of my arms and on my shoulders but as soon as I lift my arms I can see the underarm flab hanging. I have been doing tricep extensions with dumbbells and chair dips. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Tricep extensions are great for building up your triceps. The other side of the equation is lowering your body fat percentage.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately on my side of the family it seems if the girls gain weight the first thing we get are flabby arms (thanks mom! ;) ). Anyways what are some good workouts to help with that? I have been doing some arm workouts and I can definitely see the tone and definition on the front side of my arms and on my shoulders but as soon as I lift my arms I can see the underarm flab hanging. I have been doing tricep extensions with dumbbells and chair dips. Any other suggestions?

Just like your body decided where it wanted to gain the fat, your body will also decide where it will lose that fat. Its a survival skill your great great great great great cave mother learned and passed down to you.

Doing arm focused lifts will NOT cause you to drop fat in your arm. It is impossible to target any fat area regardless of the exercise. If you want to really see progress keep eating at a deficit and work every single muscle in your body.

Doing compound lifts (a lift that involves multiple muscle groups) will warrant more/better results than isolation lifts (lifts focusing only on one muscle)

Good: squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, dips, push ups, pull ups etc
    Bad: Curls, Triceps anything, calf raises, shrugs etc.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Why are shrugs bad?
  • Plates559
    Options
    Don't read them as "BAD"

They are just an isolation lift, and for her goals, to reduce body fat, it is low tier.

As for building a stronger yoke, or just bigger traps there are still better lifts than the shrug.
  • pag41989
    pag41989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Its not really "fat" as it is just loose and hanging there. It almost seems as if it is loose skin that just needs a little bit of tightening. Cardio is really helping with losing fat all over and I can really see a difference in my shoulders from the isolated workouts combined with the cardio I have been doing. I have been seeing a difference overall. I had a lot of swelling issues when I was pregnant with my daughter due to pre eclampsia so I have a lot of loose skin but I will just keep working at it. Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • Plates559
    Options
    For your goals, Doing compound lifts will warrant more/better results than isolation lifts...
  • pag41989
    pag41989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    For your goals, Doing compound lifts will warrant more/better results than isolation lifts...

I do a combo of compound and isolated. I am following Jamie Eason's livefit trainer which has everything from dumbbell squats to arm curls. It seems to be doing pretty good so far :)
  • Plates559
    Options
    Ah you made it sound you were ONLY doing isolations for your arms/shoulders.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. The only thing that help is filling the loose skin with muscles. Losing the fat didnt make m'y skin bounce back on my arms.