Protein Powder

Options
I'm going to start this off with a disclaimer because I know people like to jump down other people's throat about protein and weight lifting and educating yourself on nutrition, blah blah blah. I just want to see what other people are doing so I can try to find what works for me.

I am currently reading up on properly fueling my body for strength training and have reached the conclusion that I should start drinking a protein shake after strength training. So far I've also reached the conclusion that I should start out with a fast acting (or absorbing, whatever the correct semantics should be) Whey protein. Thinking this was going to be a simple exercise in buying I went to the local GNC...only to find that there are 57893273297 Whey protein products.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a fairly inexpensive (under 30/35) for a protein powder that I can mix with skim milk/vanilla unsweetened almond milk/ or water? I also don't want too many sugars. Thanks :)

Replies

• lauraashley614
    Options
    Bump..
  • Barberini
    Barberini Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use optimum nutrition gold standard whey in double chocolate. It is about $50 for a 5lb tub that lasts me about 4 months. I like the taste (well, I didn't the first two or three times, but I do now). It is a pretty popular one from my own research, has 24g of protein per serve and only 2g of carbs (1g sugar) and 2 grams of fat. I have it with skim milk and add a scoop of psyllium husk for extra fibre.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I use prograde workout powder. It's specifically designed to help your muscles after a workout. www.prograde.com
    Check it out, it works for me.
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I buy mine from http://www.vitacost.com/ They have tons of brands, flavors, types etc with user reviews and detailed information on the nutritional content of each. Personally I use the Syntrax brand because you and I are looking the same price range and it mixes great.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I use optimum nutrition gold standard whey in double chocolate. It is about $50 for a 5lb tub that lasts me about 4 months. I like the taste (well, I didn't the first two or three times, but I do now). It is a pretty popular one from my own research, has 24g of protein per serve and only 2g of carbs (1g sugar) and 2 grams of fat. I have it with skim milk and add a scoop of psyllium husk for extra fibre.

This is what I use except I take mine with almond milk. Shake it up in one those blender ball cups and...yumm!
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Alright, here's the deal:

Go to Walmart > Health & Nutrition Section:

Against the wall you will see all of these protein products, you want to search for tubs that say "WHEY" on them -- there are typically 3 main brands that Walmart carries: Body Fortress, 6 Star, Pure Protein.

The prices range from $14 - $21.

Don't ever walk back into GNC unless you're just going in there to take a look at, what I refer to as, their "live supplement catalog".
  • bubbaflip
    Options
    when I was recovering from surgery 2 1/2 years ago, the doctor told me I needed to start getting more protein to help with recovery and so I found the Jillian Michaels whey protein powder. They carry it at your local Walmart Supercenter for around $11.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I use Whole Foods Soy Protein in my morning smoothies. At my WHole Foods, it's $9.99 for a 16 day supply (32 days for me). It's 24g of protein per scoop but I only use half a scoop. My smoothie is a little complicated lol but it works for me, especially since I don't like EATING first thing in the morning. almond milk is at the base of my smoothie, I don't think it's too sweet (I don't add sweeteners).
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    If you're using it for post workout, you need carbs to replace glycogen stores you lose during exercise. A good post workout recovery drink should have a carb to protein ration of 4 parts carbs to one part protein. I do 40g carbs and 12g protein (close enough lol). I use egg white protein powder(I'm allergic to whey), powdered dextrose (hard to find but I found on Netrition.com) and a rounded teaspoon of micronized creatine. Beware of GNC products, a lot of them contain artificial flavoring and crap you don't really need.

I was trying to mimic P90X Results & Recovery formula b/c I'm allergic to whey. My concoction costs a little bit more than theirs but it's the best I can do to make it right without whey...
  • srudis25
    srudis25 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I recently started using Unjury Protein. It mixes really well with milk and coffee. They also have a chicken soup flavor that is really tasty! I ordered a sampler pack from the website and it included samples of all flavors, for around $26 including shipping. Really good deal and great way to try everything before buying a big container! www.unjury.com
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't do whey because they use petroleum-based solvents to create the isolate. I prefer hemp protein powder and glutamine. Plus hemp seeds contain all your EFAs and is just about the most complete source of non-meat protein out there.
  • katicasi82
    katicasi82 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My brother gets all his (and mine) from myprotein.com
  • lauraashley614
    Options
    Alright, here's the deal:

Go to Walmart > Health & Nutrition Section:

Against the wall you will see all of these protein products, you want to search for tubs that say "WHEY" on them -- there are typically 3 main brands that Walmart carries: Body Fortress, 6 Star, Pure Protein.

The prices range from $14 - $21.

Don't ever walk back into GNC unless you're just going in there to take a look at, what I refer to as, their "live supplement catalog".

Yeaaa, I don't think I'm ever going back to GNC unless I have a guide lol
  • Barberini
    Barberini Posts: 140 Member
    Options

This is what I use except I take mine with almond milk. Shake it up in one those blender ball cups and...yumm!

I LOVE my blender ball cup! I have the pink one. :)
  • lauraashley614
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! I want to start out slowly until I know more what I'm doing and don't want to sink too much money in only to have it sit on the shelf.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options

I believe this one is made with Stevia sweetener too and not actual sugar so it's better for you. I'm buying this next because my boss who does P90x uses it and likes it a lot. :)