Varicose Veins

Options
SoDamnHungry
SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
I'm 26 and I have varicose veins! I don't know what caused them! I'm not overweight (I'm mainly on this site because I binge eat), and never have been. I've never been pregnant, either. I'm not that old. My mom has varicose veins, but she didn't develop them until later in life. There's a large one on the back of my left calf, and a couple of developing ones in that area, too. I read somewhere that birth control could increase the risk of them, but couldn't find anything definite.

So what I really want to know is, why would someone my age in relatively good health get them, and has anyone been treated for them? What is it like? How much did it cost? Was it painful? Where did you go? I plan to get treatment because it looks nasty, and I'll be damned if I'm walking around with otherwise fine looking legs at this age.

Thanks in advance, folks!

EDIT: And I don't have a job where I stand around all day. It's mostly at a desk, so there isn't much pressure on my legs.

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    Options
    Bump!
  • shannajojo
    shannajojo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't have varicose veins, but I do have spider veins, and have had two schlerotherapy treatments done. I have strong genetics for it, and I still have lots of little red, spider veins all over my legs.
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options
    I don't have varicose veins, but I do have spider veins, and have had two schlerotherapy treatments done. I have strong genetics for it, and I still have lots of little red, spider veins all over my legs.

What was the schlerotherapy treatment like?
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 and I have varicose veins! I don't know what caused them! I'm not overweight (I'm mainly on this site because I binge eat), and never have been. I've never been pregnant, either. I'm not that old. My mom has varicose veins, but she didn't develop them until later in life. There's a large one on the back of my left calf, and a couple of developing ones in that area, too. I read somewhere that birth control could increase the risk of them, but couldn't find anything definite.

So what I really want to know is, why would someone my age in relatively good health get them, and has anyone been treated for them? What is it like? How much did it cost? Was it painful? Where did you go? I plan to get treatment because it looks nasty, and I'll be damned if I'm walking around with otherwise fine looking legs at this age.

Thanks in advance, folks!

EDIT: And I don't have a job where I stand around all day. It's mostly at a desk, so there isn't much pressure on my legs.

I'm 36 and have had them since I was in my twenties. I blame my genetics. ( My mom also has them real bad also )
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options
    I'm 36 and have had them since I was in my twenties. I blame my genetics. ( My mom also has them real bad also )

Wow, I don't think I've met a guy who had varicose veins. Do you just let them be? Do they start hurting ever?
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have had them since I was 15. I get them off my aunt! I have had one stripped already, and I have another one coming on my other leg. Unfortunatly you can do nothing to stop them. They are horrible to have, I havent worn a skirt since I was a kid! Its a shame, I, like u, am not overweight at all, do not stand all day, sit at desk, and exercise. I do think that its genetic?!

x
  • jenln26
    jenln26 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think they are more hereditary than ever...almost all the women in my family have some form of them. You can get them fixed via laser or surgery. I've heard though once your body makes vericose veins it will always make them. My Mom's had 3 surgeries now to get hers removed. I have spider veins for a little while and a new crop of them started this year.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 and I've had them since my early 20's as well. Both of my parents have them really bad. I can't afford to get lazer treatment for them...so i just don't wear shorts, ever, and refuse to go swimming unless I"m by myself or with my mom. I'm also pale as a ghost which doesn't help so my legs look awful. It sucks so bad in the summer and makes me hate summer...
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Varicose veins happen when the saphenous vein (main vein in the leg) fails to properly pump blood in the leg.

I had my saphenous vein ablated with a laser and the varicose veins "plucked" out. Best thing I ever did. I also had some schlerotherapy done on the spider veins.

The saphenous vein ablation wasn't bad at all. They numb up your leg and then laser the vein. Blood is then redirected to other veins. (You have many other veins that will take up the slack, so to speak.) The doc then went in and pulled out the varicose veins. They looked like deflated balloons. If you have/had any pain in your leg due to the varicose veins, that should go away after this treatment. Recovery was a bit of a pain, only because I had to wear surgical support thigh high stockings for two weeks. Let me tell you, if you've never worn them - whoa! It's a feat just to get them on. You have to wear them for a good week after the procedure to help things heal. I got up in 4 in the morning the day I was allowed to take them off. (You want to wear them in the shower when you do that and let the water soften all of the blood soaked stocking. Much easier to get off!)

The schlerotherapy was just little needle pricks that resulted in a mosquito-like itch and rash. Wasn't bad at all.

Most insurance companies pay for the procedure. I believe the total cost of mine was in the neighborhood of $7,000 (All of which my insurance paid, thankfully.)
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 and I've had them since my early 20's as well. Both of my parents have them really bad. I can't afford to get lazer treatment for them...so i just don't wear shorts, ever, and refuse to go swimming unless I"m by myself or with my mom. I'm also pale as a ghost which doesn't help so my legs look awful. It sucks so bad in the summer and makes me hate summer...

haha im the same as you, pale as you like!! Every bloody vein shows up, not even talking about the varicose ones. So depressing when every girl seems to be wearing these lovely little summer dresses, I want to wear them!!
  • thewang
    thewang Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've heard that desk jobs make them worse.... Anyone heard that?

My mom had them really bad and had some removed and she said they hurt the worst sitting at her desk.
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've had them since I was about 20 as well... along with tons of spider veins everywhere in my body... face, stomach, back. My mom has varicose veins, so I guess it's hereditary. I don't think there's enough lasers in the world to get rid of all mine. Plus I am ghostly pale as well... so there's no hiding them.
  • Mich3ll36
    Options
    Ive read some things on Vericose veins and they used to say it was stress on the legs and women that were waitress got them becasue of so many hours on their feet. From what Ive read in TODAYS information, that isnt neccessarily it. They are hereditary and some can predict underlying health problems as well. I have them pretty bad on my left leg and I have 1 that looks like the sun... really weird I know.

Here is a little info though.
    http://www.emedicinehealth.com/varicose_veins/article_em.htm
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have Varicose and Spider veins starting as well and I am 23. Not a single woman in my family has them either. Not on my mother's side nor my father's side. I always assumed it was from my love of high heels and flats, neither of which support much.
    I also have neuropathy from a previous head injury meaning I can't even feel the entire middle of my shins/calves. My lower legs are the least desired part of my body. I need to go to the doctor as well but I have also been worried about how much it will cost. But then again, I am only 23, it may get worse. Thanks for posting this I really thought I may be the only one!
  • laurenz2501
    Options

haha im the same as you, pale as you like!! Every bloody vein shows up, not even talking about the varicose ones. So depressing when every girl seems to be wearing these lovely little summer dresses, I want to wear them!!

Yup, no shorts, no booty shorts/denim shorts, no dresses unless i SPECIFICALLY MUST (i.e. weddings) and even THEN i want to wear stockings like i did in elementary school. i live in jeans and sweatpants, but i'm comfortable that way. i never really liked wearing shorts anyway, even when i was thinner. they always ride up in the car and your legs stick to everything! Haha i wish i could wear those cute summer dresses as well. i'm jealous :(
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    I have Varicose and Spider veins starting as well and I am 23. Not a single woman in my family has them either. Not on my mother's side nor my father's side. I always assumed it was from my love of high heels and flats, neither of which support much.
    I also have neuropathy from a previous head injury meaning I can't even feel the entire middle of my shins/calves. My lower legs are the least desired part of my body. I need to go to the doctor as well but I have also been worried about how much it will cost. But then again, I am only 23, it may get worse. Thanks for posting this I really thought I may be the only one!

I still wouldn't totally dismiss the idea of stress on the legs making them worse. Despite BOTH of my parents having them, they still didn't really start to appear until after a few years of jobs that DIDN'T ALLOW us to sit down which i think is ridiculous. That's like telling someone they're "not allowed" to scratch their nose if it itches. absurd. i worked at a movie theater as an usher/snack stand and then as a bank teller.
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback, guys!
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options
    Varicose veins happen when the saphenous vein (main vein in the leg) fails to properly pump blood in the leg.

I had my saphenous vein ablated with a laser and the varicose veins "plucked" out. Best thing I ever did. I also had some schlerotherapy done on the spider veins.

The saphenous vein ablation wasn't bad at all. They numb up your leg and then laser the vein. Blood is then redirected to other veins. (You have many other veins that will take up the slack, so to speak.) The doc then went in and pulled out the varicose veins. They looked like deflated balloons. If you have/had any pain in your leg due to the varicose veins, that should go away after this treatment. Recovery was a bit of a pain, only because I had to wear surgical support thigh high stockings for two weeks. Let me tell you, if you've never worn them - whoa! It's a feat just to get them on. You have to wear them for a good week after the procedure to help things heal. I got up in 4 in the morning the day I was allowed to take them off. (You want to wear them in the shower when you do that and let the water soften all of the blood soaked stocking. Much easier to get off!)

The schlerotherapy was just little needle pricks that resulted in a mosquito-like itch and rash. Wasn't bad at all.

Most insurance companies pay for the procedure. I believe the total cost of mine was in the neighborhood of $7,000 (All of which my insurance paid, thankfully.)

Now that I've looked at the diagram, I believe that mine is the saphenous vein as well. Was it painful at all to have your veins "plucked out"?
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    "Now that I've looked at the diagram, I believe that mine is the saphenous vein as well. Was it painful at all to have your veins "plucked out"?"

Actually, your saphenous vein is deep in your leg. What happens is that when this vein fails to pump blood properly (due to a variety of factors), the blood is then routed to other veins and ends up pooling there - those are the varicose veins.

The laser of the saphenous vein was nothing - completely numbed up and couldn't feel a thing. The "plucking" out of the varicose veins was not bad at all either, though there was one tiny area (a vein that branched out) that didn't seem to get the numbing medication and I could feel it. The doc immediately numbed it up.

Like I mentioned, the need to wear surgical support hose for a week was THE worst. Ugggh. Just blood soaked and all of the numbing medication leaked out of the holes where the varicose veins were taken out. I threw those suckers in the garbage as soon as I got them off!