House guests

Options

Replies

• netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I would offer my room but I can't sleep on air mattresses.

But you can ask your 90 year old Grandparents to? You're right. Send them to the hotel. I don't think the relationship with your Grandparents is salvagable.
  • rolandgaspar
    Options
    Totally personal answer but, if it was me, I'd say the room is "being renovated" and offer them my room; we can sleep on the couch.
  • LilMissSunshine_
    Options
    So you guys sleep on the air mattress and let the grand parents have your room. REALLY!! Old people need the respect and a soft bed or they'll be cranky forever!!

I agree. I would give them your room. its only for a weekend.

I have back issues and just bought a 2600 dollar mattress. I can NOT sleep on an air mattress. What if I got them cots instead of air matresses. They are big tents. They can practically stand up in them. The hotels are all booked up. The fair is in town.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    If it were my grand parents, I would give them OUR room, and sleep in the play room. If there's no mattress in that room just pick one up for $30 and you will have it for guests too.

I would feel really bad telling my old, old grandparents to sleep in a tent. If they KNOW you have an extra room, my suggestion is to offer the "clean" regular bedroom.

Other options would be to look up a cheap hotel and offer to pitch in, or say that the room is under construction but that you have a spare mattress for the floor. But again, I wouldn't think of this as an option for old people, just at least moderately young people.

Can you please tell me where I can get a mattress for $30.00??? I want three. Are they those sleep number mattresses? In tha case, make it 4!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Offering your 90-year old grandparents a tent to sleep in the backyard?! Please tell me you are joking...

I agree with the other recommendations about offering them your room and you take the air mattress in the playroom.

They used to tell me stories when I was little about how they would have to sleep on the dirt floors so I figured an air mattress was a few steps up.

I think a tent would be fine! My grandfather camped in a tent well into his 80's. He always said... "One step closer to the ground!"
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Why is it her job to pay for a hotel room. Why can't they stay at their OWN KIDS house? I'd say let them crash at your mom & pops house. Plain and simple.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You would put your 90-year-old grandparents in a tent in the backyard? Never in a million years would I do that to my 90-yr-old grandparents. Either fork up the dough for a hotel for them, or give them your room and you sleep in the "playroom" or even living room. Anything has to be better than sticking grandma and grandpa in a tent.
  • CountryBoy65
    Options
    So you guys sleep on the air mattress and let the grand parents have your room. REALLY!! Old people need the respect and a soft bed or they'll be cranky forever!!

I have back issues and just bought a 2600 dollar mattress. I can NOT sleep on an air mattress. What if I got them cots instead of air matresses. They are big tents. They can practically stand up in them. The hotels are all booked up. The fair is in town.

Its not the fair darlin...its the circus. Get it right.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Elderly people do too have sex :smile:

Elderly people do not, however, sleep well in TENTS, I would imagine. Why not just get them a hotel room?

Or why don't you sleep in the playroom and offer them your bedroom?

Lies... my grandma only bakes cookies and my grandpa plays solitaire...no sexing.
  • CountryBoy65
    Options
    Why is it her job to pay for a hotel room. Why can't they stay at their OWN KIDS house? I'd say let them crash at your mom & pops house. Plain and simple.

Ouch...you just struck a nerve. Her parents were killed in a horrible kayak accident earlier this summer.....
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Give them your bedroom, and set up an air mattress for you to sleep on in the spare room. Just tell them you want them to be comfortable, and don't take 'no' for an answer.

Although I strongly suspect this whole post is a joke...This is a good suggestion. This is also why I live in a small, crappy apartment, and make sure *everyone* who might decide they want to visit knows (1) that I live in a small, crappy apartment; (2) that there are really horrible roaches in Houston; and (3) that my air mattress has a hole in it, so that when you wake up in the morning, it is completely deflated. Basically I do everything I can to send the message "you do *not* want to stay with me." Oh, and when people do decide to stay with me, I do everything in my power to alienate them, including having loud threesomes in the next room (true story). Not surprisingly, I don't get many house guests.

LOL Why don't you just say No? That's what I do.

relatives: We're coming to town. Can we stay with you?
    me: No.
  • katicasi82
    katicasi82 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that people really had adult play rooms...Ah-dult as opposed to adult ...first time I read this I thought 'Her grandparents must really hate pool/fussball'!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    want about that old matress you have down in the basement?
  • LilMissSunshine_
    Options
    Give them your bedroom, and set up an air mattress for you to sleep on in the spare room. Just tell them you want them to be comfortable, and don't take 'no' for an answer.

Although I strongly suspect this whole post is a joke...This is a good suggestion. This is also why I live in a small, crappy apartment, and make sure *everyone* who might decide they want to visit knows (1) that I live in a small, crappy apartment; (2) that there are really horrible roaches in Houston; and (3) that my air mattress has a hole in it, so that when you wake up in the morning, it is completely deflated. Basically I do everything I can to send the message "you do *not* want to stay with me." Oh, and when people do decide to stay with me, I do everything in my power to alienate them, including having loud threesomes in the next room (true story). Not surprisingly, I don't get many house guests.

I can not tell them no. They are my grand parents. As far as staying in my parent house, they live about two states away. That would make a long commute for them.
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options

Ouch...you just struck a nerve. Her parents were killed in a horrible kayak accident earlier this summer.....

Nice, on the Nile river?
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    So my grand parents are coming in town and need a place to stay. They asked if they could stay in our spare bedroom but I JUST had it redone into a playroom (Adult) and I would prefer for them not to see it. I don't want them thinking bad of their grand daughter. So I was thinking of telling them that it was under construction and locking the door. Then that leaves them no place to stay. Do you think it would be ok for me to offer them a tent and they could sleep in my yard in the back. I have an air matress they could use as well. Thoughts?

Give them YOUR room, and you sleep in the PLAYROOM maybe ?

This.
  • LilMissSunshine_
    Options
    want about that old matress you have down in the basement?

We burned that mattress. Looked like something got ahold of it and made a mess on it. Ruined.
  • LilMissSunshine_
    Options
    I didn't know that people really had adult play rooms...Ah-dult as opposed to adult ...first time I read this I thought 'Her grandparents must really hate pool/fussball'!

I was inspired after reading 50 shades of Grey and the hubby was allll for it. We have a 3 bedroom so we moved our daughter into her brothers room to make room for it. Nice addition to the house.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

The word "no" means nothing to my mother when it comes out of my mouth (although she has gotten better since the little threesome incident, perhaps she's learning). It has similarly little effect on my older brother. Thankfully, everyone else takes the "hint," and doesn't even bother asking.
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options

I'm so baffled by this whole thing. You have back problems but have set yourself up a "sex" room?!

Okay, okay, where's the hidden cameras?? Am I getting punk'd ...........