May I ask how you guys do it?

Options
How do you guys get motivated? How do you guys get yourself to exercise everyday?

Replies

• run2befree
    run2befree Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Set a goal and then work towards it. If you like to run, then maybe register for a race. If you don't enjoy working out by yourself, check out a boot camp or a gym with classes. It helps to have others around to cheer you on as well. Good luck!:smile:
  • virgocoley
    virgocoley Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It has become more of a routine for me - I don't count my working day as complete until I have got in from work and done my workout then I know the rest of the evening is mine!! Also I know how good I feel afterwards. Once I have finished my workout I know I can hold my head up high and think I could have just gone home and lounged on the sofa but instead I did something worth while ....

hope this helps
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Wanting to see the number on the scale going down is enough movation for me.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I do things that I enjoy. I'm not a huge fan of indoor cardio machines, but I love hiking, walking my dog, and riding my bike so I do those things instead. If the weather is not co-operating I will reschedule my workout for a time of day that is better suited for outdoor activities. I do a lot of night time walking and biking in the summer. In the winter I find a nice steep hill to climb and then sled on down to the bottom (repeat 10-20 times for an awesome workout!). ;-)

If exercise is fun, you will stick with it. Find what you like to do anyway, and turn it into your workout routine.
  • sarahleeroy
    Options
    One thing I did was keep telling myself that I was tired of being fat and not liking my body. Enough was enough. It also helps to do workouts that you enjoy and look forward to doing. For me, my favorite thing is putting on my workout playlist which includes a bunch of very upbeat poppy music that gets me going and go for a jog or a bike ride around my neighborhood. My husband and I also go to the local high school football field and run up and down the bleachers which is a lot of fun and something to look forward to. Gyms don't do it for me anymore. Being outside is what I enjoy the most so that's what I do and it's easy to stick with.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    It took complete and utter desperation in my case. I'm sure some people manage with those things called willpower and determination, but I don't really know what those are.
  • Starlight_Shine
    Options
    It has become more of a routine for me - I don't count my working day as complete until I have got in from work and done my workout then I know the rest of the evening is mine!! Also I know how good I feel afterwards. Once I have finished my workout I know I can hold my head up high and think I could have just gone home and lounged on the sofa but instead I did something worth while ....

hope this helps

Its actually did cause my man likes to go home and play on the pool table for an hour so really I should go do my exercise for an hour!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Nike's ad agency nailed it: Just do it.

I tell myself that sitting on my *kitten* will keep me the way I am (was), but getting off it will change things up. I tell myself I don't have to do much, but I have to do SOMETHING. I do this every day. EVERY day. Some days I work crazy hard, some days I just go for a stroll. But whatever I do, it's not just *kitten*-sitting, which doesn't do anyone any favors.

Maybe a better slogan would be: Just do SOMETHING! :happy:
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    How do you guys get motivated? How do you guys get yourself to exercise everyday?

It's taken me a long time to find the motivation, In my case motivation can't be forced, something just snapped inside me. My new lifestyle is my new addiction. I try to get my work out done early cause by the end of day I am tired and don't feel like it.
    I'm looking forward to my before and after photos. Picture yourself a year from now, how do you want to look / feel ?
  • MissLynne10
    MissLynne10 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I find that working out is addicting. When I'm done torching calories and I'm dripping in sweat I feel fantastic. Also after you make yourself work out consistently it becomes a habit and for me I feel odd when I skip a workout.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    You just decide you don't want to be fat.......you either want it or you don't......but if you don't REALLY want it.....don't bother trying.....it's hard work.
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    Always difficult for me.

I just really had to want it bad enough. I was watching a short video that my boyfriend made last year. He didn't have anyone to do it so I filled in. And I was like... wow. I have gained weight. That's why my clothes aren't really fitting anymore. Seeing myself in the things he makes just got me to the point I didn't want to be involved anymore. That gave me the motivation to change.

Still working on it, but then again, I'd rather work hard and maintain than let myself go again.

(Not that it's *bad*. I know it could have been worse. I just was viewing myself for the first time in a long time it seems. Here's what I was talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRV31l2GEl8&list=UUUiHyTyPyA5oC7LBF9unhLA&index=3&feature=plcp )
  • Starlight_Shine
    Options

It's taken me a long time to find the motivation, In my case motivation can't be forced, something just snapped inside me. My new lifestyle is my new addiction. I try to get my work out done early cause by the end of day I am tired and don't feel like it.
    I'm looking forward to my before and after photos. Picture yourself a year from now, how do you want to look / feel ?

Thats a great Idea thank you! Now I can't wait to go home and take a picture of myself. Also I should get it printed out and put it in my bathroom and put a picture of a skinny girl beside my picture!!!
  • alisonlk
    alisonlk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do what I love - I used to hate going to the gym because it was boring. I found my niche in group fitness classes over 2 years ago and I've been hooked ever since! I've torched calories, lost weight, and made amazing friends (who help keep me accountable!) in the process.
  • Starlight_Shine
    Options
    Wow you all guys have helped me and realize I'm not the only one that really hate doing it but once you start doing it everyday it becomes a habit!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You just decide you don't want to be fat.......you either want it or you don't......but if you don't REALLY want it.....don't bother trying.....it's hard work.

This ^^^^^^^

My motivation is that I want to be healthy. Find an exercise that you can enjoy and just do it!
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that I only regret the workouts I skip - even when I don't want to work out, I'm glad I did.

I found workout buddies - it makes a HUGE difference if I know someone is "waiting" on me ^__^

Measurable goals and wanting to "beat" myself *laugh* (Like, when I began exercising on the elliptical, I wanted to be able to do 20 minutes at a steady pace. Then I set a distance goal in that time frame - like, I wanted to be able to do at least 1.5 miles - and then I increased that steadily, then I increased my time, then my speed again, then my resistance -- so I'm always pushing forward).

Small victories - and rewards (that aren't food-related)! I reward myself in varying levels based on various achievements - maybe it's new workout gear, or a race registration, or a massage, or a new kitchen gadget so I can prepare more healthy meals, or new clothes.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I remind myself every day that it's the exercise that:

1) allows me to eat my high calorie diet &
    2) is making me awesome, true story.
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

It took me a while to get started because I hate exercising for the sake of exercise (running treadmills, lifting, etc.). Also, I work full time so going surfing twice a day is out of the question. So, after none of the clothes fit anymore and my size is pushing L (I'm tiny), I look for things I like that doesn't requiring running on a treadmill.

Now, I play soccer and take dance classes. I can't wait to go workout =) I burn calories and get my allot exercise in for the day. I use MFP to monitor what I put in my mouth. It's been working great. I'm down 5lbs and I see a lot changes on my body. That's also a great motivator. I have a lot cute dresses and clothes I want to wear. I can't wait until I can put them on =)
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    For me it is a combination of positive and negative reinforcement:

Positive
    - I like how I look in the mirror
    - I like how I feel
    - I like that my cholesterol and blood numbers are perfect
    - I truly love preparing and eating healthy, wholesome foods
    - I like increasing my strength and fitness which allows me to do almost any activity I am interested in trying
    - I like getting smiles from random women

Negative (in that these are sort of negative reinforcements)
    - I hated how I looked and felt when I was 37 pounds heavier
    - I hated the digestion problems and frequent bathroom trips when I was eating badly
    - I hated being shamed and lectured by my doctor about my cholesterol and weight
    - I hated how I looked in my clothes
    - I like making the people around me who want to see me fail eat their hearts out because I am committed and refuse to fail
    - I like making guys I went to high school with feel like they are fat loads now - because they are
    - I like making old girl friends take a second look at their fat lazy husbands as I wish them well