How many pounds of muscle could I really put on?

Options

Replies

• wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    OK, I am an average size female and I do a little strength training, but nothing very consistent other than carrying my daughter around.

Let's just pretend for a minute than I did weight lifting by the book- with optimum nutrition and recovery time and was very consistent with my workouts and progressed heavier each time. How much muscle weight could I honestly expect to gain per month?

I read a lot where women complain that they are working out and gaining weight, and everyone is like, oh it's muscle, that's good, but it's like, 2 pounds in a week. That seems a bit much. I have heard 1-2 pounds a month if you're doing everything right which seems more reasonable but I am no expert.

I know gaining muscle varies from person to person but is there some general average for women?
    The average male would LUCKY to put on 1lb a month even in surplus. A female in calorie deficit? They'd be lucky to put on 0.5lb in 6 months.
    It's practically improbable to gain muscle on calorie deficit. Not impossible, but genetics, experience (newbie), past activity (former athlete) and being obese/very overweight would have the be the category you'd have to be in to gain doing it. And even then it's not as much as everyone thinks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    As a beginners, you could realistically put on 7-10 pounds in a year. After a year or so, you would taper off and be lucky to put on 3-5 in a year. That is the advice I have been given by several of my bodybuilding trainers.
    And this is for a MALE. Females much less unless "enhanced".

IDEA Fitness member

A male can put on upwards of 20-25 lbs in their first year, females about half that.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html

That lines up with my experience thus far as a first year gainer.
  • waldo56
    Options
    The effect referenced in this thread, that is not losing inches but not weight, is not cause by muscle gain, it is because of water gain in the muscles, for both the creatine-phosphate energy system and the glycogen energy system. Someone new to strength training can expect to gain a few pounds from this effect. However it is trainsient, stop weightlifting and the body will dump this extra water in few days.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    The effect referenced in this thread, that is not losing inches but not weight, is not cause by muscle gain, it is because of water gain in the muscles, for both the creatine-phosphate energy system and the glycogen energy system.

The effect mentioned is real. If you're not doing strength training and start a program your muscles will soak up some extra water. Let's say that you pick up 2-3 pounds which isn't unreasonable. That accounts for the stagnant number on the scale for perhaps a month but after that point you will start losing again if you're hitting your calorie goals correctly. There's only so much water your muscles can hold. The water volume won't keep increasing forever and you should see the scale moving.

I'm doing a pretty intense strength routine and I even started taking Creatine as a supplement last month which really loads up your muscles with even more water. I've still lost a couple pounds since then and you should too if you're at a negative calorie intake. Some days after eating lots of carbs I can gain 2-3 pounds back but that always drops off when I eat clean and it's pretty easy to see that the trend is downward.

For me calorie intake is what controls the weight on the scale. If I'm not losing the obviously I'm eating too much. It could be that women have a harder time with this since their TDEE to BRM window is so much smaller but I would think that it would work the same.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,541 Member
    Options
    As a beginners, you could realistically put on 7-10 pounds in a year. After a year or so, you would taper off and be lucky to put on 3-5 in a year. That is the advice I have been given by several of my bodybuilding trainers.

IDEA Fitness member

A male can put on upwards of 20-25 lbs in their first year, females about half that.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/whats-my-genetic-muscular-potential.html

Sorry but that much in actual muscle? Fat and muscle yes. What if that male is 40 years old? Age makes a total difference. Not saying it can't be done, but you're speaking of people who are calorie surplus and not deficit with a direct goal of muscle gain.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

The average male would LUCKY to put on 1lb a month even in surplus. A female in calorie deficit? They'd be lucky to put on 0.5lb in 6 months.
    It's practically improbable to gain muscle on calorie deficit. Not impossible, but genetics, experience (newbie), past activity (former athlete) and being obese/very overweight would have the be the category you'd have to be in to gain doing it. And even then it's not as much as everyone thinks.

IDEA Fitness member

Ninerbuff,

sorry to hijack the thread a bit here but you seem to know your stuff and I have a quick question...
    I get my body fat measured on a big scanner at the gym and get a print out with my results.
    Last month it said my bf% was down 2.5%, overall weight loss was 2kg, but my fat loss was 3kg which would suggest I had put on a kg of muscle in a month.
    I thought this seemed ridiculous, is it even possible? I do seem to have lost a lot of inches lately but not much weight.
    I eat 2100 cals (p30 / f30 / c40), and would class myself as very active, I do 3 spin classes, 4 boxercise classes and 2 hours of heavy weights per week. TDEE is around 2600-2800 so am in 500-700ish cal deficit.

If you were a newbie to actual lifting and/or a very overweight/obese person, or a returning athlete after a long layoff, a kg of muscle wouldn't be unheard of.

IDEA Fitness member
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Ninerbuff,

sorry to hijack the thread a bit here but you seem to know your stuff and I have a quick question...
    I get my body fat measured on a big scanner at the gym and get a print out with my results.
    Last month it said my bf% was down 2.5%, overall weight loss was 2kg, but my fat loss was 3kg which would suggest I had put on a kg of muscle in a month.
    I thought this seemed ridiculous, is it even possible? I do seem to have lost a lot of inches lately but not much weight.
    I eat 2100 cals (p30 / f30 / c40), and would class myself as very active, I do 3 spin classes, 4 boxercise classes and 2 hours of heavy weights per week. TDEE is around 2600-2800 so am in 500-700ish cal deficit.

If you were a newbie to actual lifting and/or a very overweight/obese person, or a returning athlete after a long layoff, a kg of muscle wouldn't be unheard of.

IDEA Fitness member

Thanks for your reply!
    Ive been doing 2 x half hour weights (mix of machines and free weights) since last october, I increased weights to 2 x an hour around 3 months ago, no lower body as i have a bad knee at the min. I've always done 8-15 reps as heavy as I can, but the last few months I have totally scrapped the machines and gone to free weights / TRX suspension training / kettlebells so would this be enough of a change for it to be 'newbie' gains?. Im 184lbs so still quite a bit above my ideal weight.
  • waldo56
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Sorry but that much in actual muscle? Fat and muscle yes. What if that male is 40 years old? Age makes a total difference. Not saying it can't be done, but you're speaking of people who are calorie surplus and not deficit with a direct goal of muscle gain.

IDEA Fitness member

No, actual muscle. Did you even read the article? As a trainer you should know of the person that wrote the article and the people who created the models referenced in it, if not you really need to study up a bit more. And yes they are very much referring to muscle gain, not muscle plus fat.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have been getting irritated with people telling me after 3 weeks of Crossfit / Heavy lifting the reason my weight loss has stalled is muscle gain... clearly I have not added 2lbs of muscle in 3 weeks while in a calorie deficit... :laugh:

So my question (sorry for jumping your thread OP)... is when can I expect the scale to start moving in the right direction... I have been at this new routine for 3 weeks. Before that I was doing primarily cardio and losing 1-2lbs per week eating 1700 - 1800 calories... I am eating slightly more 1800 - 1900 now and the scale either goes up or stays the same... I am training 3-4 days per week and doing light cardio on my "off days"... If someone can help me figure this out I would really appreciate it :flowerforyou:

I don't have a direct answer for you, nor am I a professional, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt - I have found that when I stall, I need to change something up, whether that's adding in a new gym routine or another yoga session, eating something different for breakfast, etc. Sometimes I cycle my calories. Eventually, the weight comes off. I plateaued for a few weeks last month, stopped counting calories one week (but ate sensibly and whenever i was hungry) and continued with my workout routine (although I may have thrown in an extra spin class or two). Eventually I stepped on the scale and had dropped about 3 pounds. So I would (assuming it has been a few weeks) to change something up whether that's diet or workout routine or what have you, but give it time too. (Of course, this all assumes that you're in a calorie deficit...)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

No, actual muscle. Did you even read the article? As a trainer you should know of the person that wrote the article and the people who created the models referenced in it, if not you really need to study up a bit more. And yes they are very much referring to muscle gain, not muscle plus fat.
    From the first reference model:
    Please note that these are averages and make a few assumptions about proper training and nutrition and such. As well, age will interact with this; older individuals won’t gain as quickly and younger individuals may gain more quickly. For example, it’s not unheard of for underweight high school kids to gain muscle very rapidly. But they are usually starting out very underweight and have the natural anabolic steroid cycle called puberty working for them.
    Amateur and Pro bodybuilders who juice are able to put on 30-50lbs of muscle in the BEGINNING and much less after. Juiced. The article even states that the Natural bodybuilders "muscle potential" is much more conservative than McDonald's. Or did you miss that in the article?
    Don't correlate POTENTIAL with ACTUAL. Training, nutrition, discipline all play factors. The average male doesn't train as hard or dedicated as the competitive natural bodybuilder, so the numbers that were mentioned (7-10lbs) are well within reach compared to McDonald's projection. Impossible? No. Personally for all the years I've competed and still intermingling with the "meatheads" in the gym, I have yet to see a "natural" put on 20-25lbs of pure muscle in their first year of training. Skeptic yes.

And you're telling me you put on 20-25lbs of muscle so far? Show me where it is cause I don't see it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • OneFitDude16
    Options
    average women can gain a maximum of 1/2 lb of muscle every 2 weeks
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    In deficit?

IDEA Fitness member
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    In deficit?

IDEA Fitness member

It's probably worth mentioning that nowhere in the original post was a calorie deficit mentioned. My question was under the most ideal conditions, how much muscle weight can the average woman expect to gain?
  • waldo56
    Options
    And you're telling me you put on 20-25lbs of muscle so far? Show me where it is cause I don't see it.

No. Haven't been at it a year.

But I've put on your 7-10 lbs in 3 months. And yes it is lean weight, if anything I've lost a little fat, ab definition is getting sharper.

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/Waldo56/Self/Collage731.jpg

I don't expect to sustain this rate, but surely I'm not going to spend the next 9 months gaining nothing. That projection of 20 or so pounds for beginner males seems very reasonable and attainable.
    The article even states that the Natural bodybuilders "muscle potential" is much more conservative than McDonald's. Or did you miss that in the article?
    Don't correlate POTENTIAL with ACTUAL. Training, nutrition, discipline all play factors. The average male doesn't train as hard or dedicated as the competitive natural bodybuilder, so the numbers that were mentioned (7-10lbs) are well within reach compared to McDonald's projection. Impossible? No. Personally for all the years I've competed and still intermingling with the "meatheads" in the gym, I have yet to see a "natural" put on 20-25lbs of pure muscle in their first year of training. Skeptic yes.

The article wasn't talking about steriod fueled potential at all. Reading comprehension failure FTW!!! He was comparing a frame size model to his and another's general models, commenting that the frame size model for maximum muscle potiential (not maximum growth rate, there is a difference) was conservative compared to his and the other model, but this is highly frame size dependant. With a larger frame the models all line up.'

The article clearly states that the models are for those under optimal (non-steriod) conditions, and that they are models of the peak gain rate and maximum mass are for average males. And that the values should be halved for females. I took the OP's question to be precisely what this article addresses. How much can you gain if you do everything right (without enhancement).

Would these be YOUR clients failing to put on mass at this rate? LOL.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    In deficit?

IDEA Fitness member

It's probably worth mentioning that nowhere in the original post was a calorie deficit mentioned. My question was under the most ideal conditions, how much muscle weight can the average woman expect to gain?
    With the Figure and Bikini (last 4 years) competitors I've worked with for the past 15 years, the average would be about 5-7lbs a year. These are females that consistent in the gym, are very serious (usually very clean eaters) about nutrition, and compete 2-3 times a year, so they "cut" up and try to stay above a certain percentage of body fat to stay within the qualifications of competition.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jshort152
    Options
    To put on muscle you need caloric surplus in most cases, that means gaining a little fat, if you want to keep the fat minimal then probably about a 1lb of pure muscle every week n a half is most accurate, hope this helps!

Jesse Short
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    wow, only 7-10 pounds? That's really not very much.

I'd take it :tongue: When I eventually (hopefully not too long) get on to a calorie surplus. I don't do weights as such as I workout at home, but doing intense enough training at home. Kettlebells, different types of press ups, sit-ups, squats, etc etc. Still I imagine my muscle gain would be even less when I'm not doing dedicated weight training as such.
  • phillycheesteak
    phillycheesteak Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised how low the numbers others are posting are. In Mark Rippetoe's book Starting Strength (basic barbell training), Rippetoe advises his readers how to get stronger. Since strength requires additional muscle mass, the result of using a barbell for strength training will be a gain in body weight due to larger muscles.

He advises that following his exercise program and nutrition recommendations for maximum muscle growth will result in an average person who's never lifted weights for strength before will gain 5-10 lb in the first week (water weight) and about a pound a week for up to 6 months. Following that, additional weight will likely be more difficult to gain -- nutrition must be monitored more and workouts become more complex.

I followed this guidance for about 6 months and had approximately the same results. I've lifted weights before, but never with a focus on the barbell. I went from 170 lb to 195 lb and increased my squat weight from 3 sets of 5 reps at 135 lb to 235 lb.

Rippetoe's basic program requires about 90 minutes at the gym 3 times a week, with alternating workouts: squats, deadlifts, and bench press one workout and squats, shoulder press, and power cleans the next workout. He also advises a calorie surplus and downplays the importance of aerobic exercise. The result is that additional body fat will likely be gained with muscle. I wouldn't expect to lose fat, but with some effort, you may maintain your body fat % as you gain weight. This is the opposite of a 6-pack for the beach workout and he doesn't deny that.

Is something like that for you? The best way to decide is to try it, I think.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised how low the numbers others are posting are. In Mark Rippetoe's book Starting Strength (basic barbell training), Rippetoe advises his readers how to get stronger. Since strength requires additional muscle mass, the result of using a barbell for strength training will be a gain in body weight due to larger muscles.

Not totally true. A certain measure of strength is just improvement in your neurological pathways that control the muscles. You can gain strength and not gain muscle mass.
    High-resistance strength training (HRST) is one of the most widely practiced forms of physical activity, which is used to enhance athletic performance, augment musculo-skeletal health and alter body aesthetics. Chronic exposure to this type of activity produces marked increases in muscular strength, which are attributed to a range of neurological and morphological adaptations.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17241104
  • ninerbuff
    Options

No. Haven't been at it a year.

But I've put on your 7-10 lbs in 3 months. And yes it is lean weight, if anything I've lost a little fat, ab definition is getting sharper.

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/Waldo56/Self/Collage731.jpg

I don't expect to sustain this rate, but surely I'm not going to spend the next 9 months gaining nothing. That projection of 20 or so pounds for beginner males seems very reasonable and attainable.
    So how did you measure the actual muscle gain? Just subtracting your body fat percentage and getting a lean weight isn't the indication that "pure muscle" was attained. I wouldn't be surprised that more than half of that was glycogen and water storage. Even bone density increases when you lift.
    The article even states that the Natural bodybuilders "muscle potential" is much more conservative than McDonald's. Or did you miss that in the article?

The article wasn't talking about steriod fueled potential at all. Reading comprehension failure FTW!!! He was comparing a frame size model to his and another's general models, commenting that the frame size model for maximum muscle potiential (not maximum growth rate, there is a difference) was conservative compared to his and the other model, but this is highly frame size dependant. With a larger frame the models all line up.
    I referred to the NATURAL gaining of muscle when quoting the more "conservative" projections from the natural bodybuilder. Or is the Natural bodybuilders research (someone who actually LIVES the lifestyle) worthless? Reread it again. The reason I made the reference to JUICED bodybuilders is because if it's tough for them to put on 20-25lbs, how in the hell will a natural new lifter do the same?
    The article clearly states that the models are for those under optimal (non-steriod) conditions, and that they are models of the peak gain rate and maximum mass are for average males. And that the values should be halved for females. I took the OP's question to be precisely what this article addresses. How much can you gain if you do everything right (without enhancement).

Would these be YOUR clients failing to put on mass at this rate? LOL.
    Don't try to make a strawman argument, stick to the topic. While I respect the authors of the article and agree spot on with a lot of their methods, I am skeptical of how they arrive to the conclusion that a male new to lifting could put on that much "pure" muscle without any experience in training, knowing how to "contract" muscles correctly, switching to a nutritional program that they've never done before, etc.
    POTENTIAL is probable. Anyone in the US has the potential to be the President of the US. Even if they did everything right, what is the probability? My point is that for ALL the years that I've done this and personally competed myself, and having been part of the "muscle" community for 30 years now, I have yet to witness a natural new lifter gain 20-25lbs of pure muscle in a year's time. I'm more than sure there are other serious lifters on this site who have witnessed it either.
    Now 7-10lbs of pure muscle, sure I've seen that lots of times.

IDEA Fitness member