Calling all vegans and vegetarians

Options
2»

Replies

• bleumanchu
    bleumanchu Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegan for over a year now. Like anything else, you can still eat crappily and be a vegan, and it took a little while to figure out that calorie-dense/nutrient poor food can keep a person from meeting goals whether the foods are vegan, omni, or anything in between. I've since lost over 40 pounds, and am fitter, leaner, and more active than ever. I'm happy to offer tips/advice/resources, just let me know what specific questions you have, feel free to ask. I'm only on the forums sporadically, so feel free to send a direct message as well. Good places to start: Forks Over Knives (movie, website); Engine 2 Diet (book, website); Jeff Novick, RD (person with website, books, DVDs). Jeff Novick has a great little article discussing nutrien density and calorie density, and specific pitfalls people fall in which they don't often recognize.

I'll look over your diary and see if I notice anything in particular. Good luck!
  • jayvizzo
    Options
    I agree with a lot of these suggestions, but one thing to keep in mind is that going vegan/vegetarian/pescatarian may give you a sense that you have freedom to eat as much as you want. Make sure you cut your sugar down to a minimum (I typically only eat 20-30g per day on a 2000 calorie diet) and try to only eat whole grain foods rather than processed. I keep myself very disciplined on a mostly vegan-based diet on the weekdays, then allow myself "free days" on the weekends. I have come to the belief that eating so many nutrient-rich meals during the week allows my body to process any "junk" I eat on my free days faster and much of it just passes through. Oh yeah and don't forget to do at least a little bit of exercise :)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    http://www.gnolls.org/1444/does-meat-rot-in-your-colon-no-what-does-beans-grains-and-vegetables/

Please ignore the Paleo part of it unless you have interest. I posted the link because of the science involved. He sends you on a trip through digestion and it's pretty interesting (and why you can have gastrointestinal issues from a lot of veggies). So I'm not trying to offend any v**ans or try and push meat on anyone. I support everyone in their journey to health. I know what works for me won't work for the next person.

I've dealt with a lifetime of digestive issues (hiatal hernia, indigestion, IBS and the symptoms that go with it, stomach pains, spasms in the gut, etc.). Primal Blueprint relieved me of all of them (but N=1) after 6 months of following a healthy standard american diet helped that helped me lose weight but wasn't helping my health. I found this out purely by experiment. It also got rid of my eczema, my blemishes which would come out like painful welts, my belly, the dark circles under my eyes, my daytime sleepiness, etc. In fact, Mark Sisson's (Founder of Primal Blueprint) son is a vegetarian.

If you have gastrointestinal issues this article might help some. It could be the insoluble fiber:

http://chriskresser.com/got-digestive-problems-take-it-easy-on-the-veggies

He talks about certain types of veggies that can upset the gut. You can switch ones out and see which ones affect you (be your own scientist). There are foods on both lists that I can and can't tolerate. And please ignore his comparison of beef and beef liver to fruit/vegges - it's a Paleo-based site. But there's still a lot of good information on these sites for vegatarians and vegans, too. It just doesn't involve grains or legumes.

My man's stepmother has been taking medications for severe acid reflux for about 30 years or more. She removed bread from her diet recently on the advice of her sister - and she has stopped the medication - it was instant. She still eats grains just no longer as bread. It's even something worth trying out.

My gut is healing. I'm so happy about that. But I still can't tolerate raw fibrous veggies - and grains inflame it bad (no I'm not celiac). I have to cook all my veggies. Broccoli is probably the worst and I love it. *sigh*
  • ElenaNom
    ElenaNom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Skinny B i t c h! (Please don't be offended, that's the title!!) Reading that book made me quit meat cold turkey (haha). I lost about 25 pounds with no effort at all. The recipes though, are a little intense with too many crazy vegan ingredients. The Kind Diet is a little more rational with better recipes.

Now, after more education about food and it's health related benefits, I have gone vegan and I love it. I eat healthier, fresh, colorful foods. Like others have mentioned, the effects on you body are outstanding. I would suggest transitioning into the vegetarian lifestyle while still occasionally eating fish. It makes it easier.

Good luck!
  • pbxr
    pbxr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi there! :flowerforyou:

I'm in the same boat, and last month, Lindsay Nixon of The Happy Herbivore wrote a GREAT piece addressing this precisely. Here's a link to her Top 10 reasons the weight loss stops, even when eating plant-based.

Hope this helps! :smile:

http://getmealplans.com/blog/2012/07/12/get-out-of-diet-rut/

Edited to add: Being honest, I found I was guilty of several of these. :tongue:
  • fatamerica
    fatamerica Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    As long as we're sharing books, this is my favorite one!

The Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your Life and Our World

http://www.amazon.com/The-Food-Revolution-Your-World/dp/1573247022

It covers all the bases, from health, environmental, and animal rights benefits.

When I got into veganism, I did so purely for health reasons, but it's hard to ignore the benefits to the environment and animals.