Losing weight, but still have a gut

Options
I've lost 26 pounds since April, and I feel great. But I still have a gut! I've been eating healthier foods, recording everything, straying from fatty foods. I've been doing some cardio (30 minutes elliptical/amt) 3 to 5 times a week. Any specific exercises for the gut? I've heard sit ups and what not, really don't do the trick. Advice?

Replies

• Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no way to spot reduce, and men frequently lose last from the tummy. Although that is pretty much genetically determined. Just gotta keep doing what you're doing and you'll get there eventually!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I would add some strength training to the cardio. That will help with body fat in general. But no one gets to pick where they lose their fat. Just keep on truckin. (And personally, I like sit-ups. :smile: )
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    just have to wait it out :( i've been trying to lose my gut too. otherwise i look great! lol
  • thewang
    thewang Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    strength training is a must - work on your core

Planks kill me, but have helped me lose around the middle.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    A slight caloric deficit (a weekly weight loss goal of 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week depending on how much you have to lose), heavy lifting strength training program, adequate protein intake, and time.

Cardio is not needed to lose fat, cardio just allows you to eat more and maintain the same caloric deficit as you can achieve by diet alone. That said cardio has a host of benefits, but fat loss is not one of them, while strength training will help retain the muscle you already have, and without it a large % of your loss will come from lean muscle.
  • mickey_weathers
    mickey_weathers Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Beachbody Workout, or Ripped in 30 workouts.......
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Same boat. My gub is one of the last things to go I guess. It wave at me, all stubbornly. >_<

Spot reducing is a myth though. Keep on doing what you're doing (plus up the strength training) and it'll start going when there's no other fat left for your burning to kill off. :) (I've also received advice about severely cutting carbs and saturated fats to help it along.)
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    You can't spot-reduce your gut fat. But, good posture, de-flabbing the abs, keeping your core engaged certainly can take a few inches of size off. Having some decent core strength (some situps, but can you do a 2 minute plank?) will teach your muscles how to do that. Same goes for pullups, they will teach your shoulders where to properly rest.

See my pic - that's my core engaged. If I walk around slump-shouldered without engaging it, I look way fatter.
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    They say muscle burns fat faster so I would make sure you incorporate all over strength training in your routine weekly.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    When I was intervalling regularly, my stomach was noticeably smaller. You could take up running.

Edit: I noticed you said you were doing cardio on an eliptical, so I apologize. I did notice that I was doing better (as weird as it sounds) doing intervals than straight running. Maybe increase the incline or hardness of the eliptical rather than the speed.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the strength training. I have noticed a difference in my belly since working with weights. Now, I still have 22lbs I'd like to lose so my tummy isn't flat, but it's definitely smaller than it used to be! ;)
  • havetubawilltravel
    havetubawilltravel Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Personal experience: get a kayak. I bought a used kayak, and paddled 3 or 4 times a week for about 30 minutes at a time, on flat water (lake, pond, slow stream). I wasn't dieting, just looking to tone up, and in ninety days, I lost no weight but took FOUR INCHES off my waist.
  • fatamerica
    fatamerica Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no way to spot reduce, and men frequently lose last from the tummy. Although that is pretty much genetically determined. Just gotta keep doing what you're doing and you'll get there eventually!

Indeed.
  • gameny
    gameny Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I lost some weight but still have a gut. I have begun doing some situps and crunches along with cardio/strength training. There has been some reduction of gut. Do not forget to strengthen your core. (You will burn more calories at rest). Time is the answer...Keep at it and it will reduce. Good Luck...
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    There are several good tips on here that say using strength training, and one person said to 'work your abs". I'm no professional like a lot of people are, but I hope you dont accept people telling you what you "can't do" with your body. Saying that you cant spot reduce and then saying "this" will take off a few inches, doesnt sound solid. Call it what you want to, if you can take off some inches, thats what you want, right. I really wish people would stop preaching "you cant spot reduce", and offer some suggestions instead, like strength training and core working. You will get there, hey I did! I spot reduced my belly with extra work and emphasis on the belly.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m8jtw0i6YB1qffloyo1_500.jpg
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem too. I still have somewhat of a gut but not much as I use to. What I did was for a few month cut out beer especially on the weekends. Also if you look at my dairy you can see that I keep my foods simple with a lot of protein and vegetables. It helps. Also make sure you are doing different variations of ab exercises.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Tae Bo
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I've heard many people, both here and elsewhere, say that they didn't loose the tummy until the very last. So, keep it up! You're halfway there and it will be gone soon enough. As will mine!
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Try some HIIT cardio...it's a great fat burner!