Intermittent Fasting/Calorie Cycling and Water Retention

Options
General question here.

I am usually pretty consistent with my calories. I eat around 2000 calories a day. That is 300 calories below my TDEE. I'm pretty comfortable there, but thanks to some biological reasons, I retain water twice a month and see some dramatic jumps on the scale. I'm trying to find some way to combat this, and I was thinking of doing some kind of combination between calorie cycling and intermittent fasting.

The question is should I cycle down when I'm retaining water or when I'm not retaining water.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Anything will be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If you know it's water and not fat, there's no need to worry about it. If it bothers you, just stay off the scale during that time.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would first question whether or not you need to fix this, and if so, through cyclical intake.

I'm assuming the issue is whether or not you're getting an accurate scale reading?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If you know it's water and not fat, there's no need to worry about it. If it bothers you, just stay off the scale during that time.

Yeah, but I won't know that I'm retaining water unless I get on the scale. Sure, I could observe the patterns for a couple of months and guess when my hormones are going to surge and then stay away from the scale, but I really just don't want to gain that water weight. :frown:
  • sarahleeroy
    Options

I agree with this. Don't let the scale determine your progress so much, especially if you know for sure that it's not a correct representation.
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I agree with just don't weigh yourself at those times. I know there are times when my pants are just a bit too tight and it's not because I'm gaining weight, so I don't get on the scale. It's important to know that you are going to fluctuate a lot and if you just stay on track with your calories you should be fine.

I know myself and some of my girlfriends can go up anywhere from 3-8 lbs of water weight. Not cool, but it is what it is.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I agree with just don't weigh yourself at those times. I know there are times when my pants are just a bit too tight and it's not because I'm gaining weight, so I don't get on the scale. It's important to know that you are going to fluctuate a lot and if you just stay on track with your calories you should be fine.

I know myself and some of my girlfriends can go up anywhere from 3-8 lbs of water weight. Not cool, but it is what it is.

I just can't bring myself to believe that there is nothing that I can do about it. I have tried drinking extra water, taking B-vitamins and calcium/magnesium tablets, increasing my potassium...

But nothing seems to stop that bi-monthly 5 lbs jump!
  • tkcasta
    Options

Yeah, but I won't know that I'm retaining water unless I get on the scale. Sure, I could observe the patterns for a couple of months and guess when my hormones are going to surge and then stay away from the scale, but I really just don't want to gain that water weight. :frown:

Our bodies bloat for a reason. You can't really stop it. Learning your cycle will definitely help - I highly suggest doing so! :smile: I know I bloat when I ovulate and then again when I menstruate.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    What do you gain by stopping this?
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Well, if your calorie intake and exercise routine is consistent, you know that any sudden spike on the scale would have to be water.

There's no need to start over-complicating your diet in an attempt to fix a problem that's better off ignored.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

It's just frustrating! I wanted to be well on my way to my goal and this is always so discouraging.
  • tkcasta
    Options

I just can't bring myself to believe that there is nothing that I can do about it. I have tried drinking extra water, taking B-vitamins and calcium/magnesium tablets, increasing my potassium...

But nothing seems to stop that bi-monthly 5 lbs jump!

The only other thing I can suggest is that there are some birth control pills that help with bloating. Some make it worse, but you could ask your gyno which ones help. But overall I think you are better off in the long run understanding and accepting your body's fluctuations.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I suppose you are all right. I should have just PM'd you, Firebrand! Every once in awhile I need you around to screw my head on straight! :flowerforyou:
  • Sidesteal
    Options

It's just frustrating! I wanted to be well on my way to my goal and this is always so discouraging.

I understand. But it seems that the following is true:

1) You are well aware of this issue and you KNOW it's fluid retention.
    2) I see 82lbs lost on your ticker. Clearly this issue is not preventing your general trend of kicking as$.

Your method is successful. Don't @#$# with it.

The only reason I'd suggest a cyclical approach would be if you are having dietary adherence issues (IF can be a good fit for some people).
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • mrsevanrust
    Options
    I would first question whether or not you need to fix this, and if so, through cyclical intake.

I'm assuming the issue is whether or not you're getting an accurate scale reading?

I don't know what you just said- but, you're freakin' hot.... just sayin- fine specimen.
  • Sidesteal
    Options

I don't know what you just said- but, you're freakin' hot.... just sayin- fine specimen.

I just made up a bunch of crap like usual.

Thanks ;)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration dear

I have a 6-8 weeks cycle and the only time i trust what the scale is telling me is one week after TOM. It is the only time i know if i am going in the right direction. The only thing i can do about it is exercise, eat under my TDEE and hope my body do it's thing.