And now for another ridiculous diet (long)

Options
katrwal
katrwal Posts: 336 Member
hi all... read this in my local newspaper and thought it must be an April Fools article... but no. For those who aren't familiar, the main character in this article is being tried in federal court for racketeering charges stemming from activities when he was mayor of Detroit.

Article copied from Detroit News, Online edition - August 9, 2012 - author: Francis X. Donnelly

Kilpatrick diet courts controversy
Ex-mayor slimmer, but some say method is an unhealthy fad

Leave it to Kwame Kilpatrick. Even his diets are controversial.

To lose weight, the former mayor is following a program that some dieticians dismiss as a fad, unhealthy and not supported by science.

The leading advocate is an acupuncturist from Russia whose quickly growing practice has opened clinics all over the U.S., including Kilpatrick's home, the Dallas area.

Grigory Sadkhin, now based in Brooklyn, has clients place tiny steel balls behind their ears and massage them in a circular motion every two hours.

This supposedly suppresses their appetite by stimulating nerves that run from the ear to the stomach.

"In the initial stage of dieting, the body feels it is starving," Sadkhin said in a prepared statement. "(It's) difficult for many patients to bear so I looked for a way to control it."

Kilpatrick's diet was discovered Wednesday during the start of jury selection in his public corruption trial.

He showed up in U.S. District Court in downtown Detroit with masking tape behind his ears.

His attorney explained the diet, saying Hizzoner had shed 16 pounds.

But local dieticians scoffed at the weight-loss technique, saying its effectiveness hasn't been supported by any studies.

"They may think it's helping them," said Marie Hoskins, a registered dietician from Troy. "In truth it doesn't do anything."

Hoskins and nutritionists are more concerned by other parts of Sadkhin's method.

Clients are limited to 1½ pounds of fruits and vegetables for two days. They're then restricted to 2½ glasses of yogurt or whole milk for two days.

They repeat the pattern until the diet is over.

The method leads to dramatic weight loss, an average of 20 to 23 pounds a month, said Sadkhin.

But the diet doesn't have enough calcium, protein or fatty acids, dietician Joan Endyke wrote in a Massachusetts newspaper after a clinic opened there.

"Sounds like the only thing he researched was Barnum and Bailey's methods. You know, the one about a sucker born every minute," she said.

Clients pay $150 for their first visit to a Sadkhin clinic and then $75 every 10 days as they return to have the position of the metal balls changed.

Sadkhin said he has discovered eight pressure points behind the ear that affect eating.

The method has been around for centuries, he said.

Early practitioners of Eastern medicine placed apple seeds or grains of rice behind patients' ears, he said.

Besides suppressing the appetite, it's believed that stimulation of the ear may increase one's endorphin levels, making a person feel better, said Sadkhin.

In turn, that could prevent the type of emotional eating that could be brought on by, say, a public corruption trial.

Among the growing number of followers are residents of Metro Detroit, where a clinic has opened in Lathrup Village.

Brandon Hynes of Canton said he tried it several years ago and found it effective.

"It works," he said. "You pretty much lose everything within a month."

After learning about Kilpatrick's diet from news reports, Hynes wrote to the former mayor's Facebook page, saying he was tickled that Kilpatrick was a fellow devotee.

The love wasn't returned.

After several hours, the page's administrator deleted the message.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120810/METRO/208100369#ixzz23AREcbaQ

Replies

• aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    ...people actually believe this stuff?
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I am actually a supporter of acupuncture and acupresure and I knew people who managed to give up smoking by using similiar methods. It may not be such a rubish theory but ... the thing about 1 1/2 lbs of fruit and veg and than the yougurt thing is simply redicolous and cannot end well if you do it too long.
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    About 12 years ago when my ex was trying to quit smoking he came across something exactly like this. I can't remember how much the kit cost, but it came with 6 or 8 tiny ball bearings and medical tape that he had to attach to the lobes of his ears and every time he felt like smoking he was supposed to press the ball bearing into the flesh. He used the method for a total of about one day and complained that it hurt when he pressed them and that just made him want to smoke more...

Yeah, stupid people will do anything for a quick fix if it doesn't involve actually working.
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    About 12 years ago when my ex was trying to quit smoking he came across something exactly like this. I can't remember how much the kit cost, but it came with 6 or 8 tiny ball bearings and medical tape that he had to attach to the lobes of his ears and every time he felt like smoking he was supposed to press the ball bearing into the flesh. He used the method for a total of about one day and complained that it hurt when he pressed them and that just made him want to smoke more...

Yeah, stupid people will do anything for a quick fix if it doesn't involve actually working.

Maybe it does not work for everyone but I know people who gave up smoking this way so mayeb it was simply not a method for your ex and really ... dismissing something like that after a day does not seem so great either.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Rasputin has been reincarnated.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I can't quite tell what the actual diet is... is it essentially either 2 or 4 days of fasting a week? (Ignoring the ear thing, who the heck knows about that stuff)
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    ...people actually believe this stuff?

Do a search for "ketones" on this forum, and you'll see that the answer is yes, people believe this stuff. :P
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    You know, I swear there are people out there who wonder 'how can I get people to do something that makes them look silly' and sadly the answer is usually the same 'just tell them it'll make them lose weight'.

~edited to add~.. I'm not against acupressure or acupuncture, but taping little metal balls behind one's ears and eating poorly just seems a horrible idea all around.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    STOP EMBARRASSING DETROIT KILPATRICK!!!

(sorry for the all caps, but I was yelling :smile: )
  • isingthebodyelectric
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHA. Oh Kwame, you silly silly man. He's obviously lacking critical thinking skills on more than one level. :)

Also, DETROITTTTTT. Represent! ;)
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHA. Oh Kwame, you silly silly man. He's obviously lacking critical thinking skills on more than one level. :)

Also, DETROITTTTTT. Represent! ;)

Amen to that... I'm sorely tempted to start saying that he at least could pretend he was a fully rational human before he moved to Dallas :) - but those Texans have more guns than we do... :tongue:

I was more appalled at the gullibility - of COURSE if you eat 1.5 pounds of fruit & veggies for 2 days (probably less than 1000 calories) and then 2.5 glasses of yogurt or whole milk for 2 days (what's that, like 500 calories) then you're going to lose weight. right after you fall over from being undernourished.

still - he's claiming he's too broke to pay the restitution he owes the city - and this "treatment" is $150 for the first visit & $75 every 10 days to get his "balls" adjusted (insert totally inappropriate comment about his personal history here :devil: )... i'd love for the judge in his parole hearings to throw his sorry behind back in jail again just for that...

rant over. thanks for letting me vent. :D