Insanity... does it work?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I have been looking at starting Insanity and I was reading formus of it but I am scared it is just someone from Body Break promoting it..
So has anyone tried? it does it really make you lose weight?
I am getting married in Jamaica to the love of my life in 4 Months & 30 days and I want to look awesome but I have a long way to go and I stopped excerising and counting my calories for about 3 or 2 weeks... I know sooo bad!
But anyways...

Does it work? Will it help me loose weight?
Also feel free to check out my progress... a little disapointing...

20802318.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• Caligirl_92
    Caligirl_92 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hey, I completely understand. I was nervous cause everyone who told me anything from it was a beachbody coach. Well from someone who is curently doing the whole program for a second round, I love it :happy: A couple things about insanity 1) you have to follow the program and do the excersises when they are planned. You dont have to follow the nutrition plan but eat healthy and in your calorie range. 2) You may not lose the amount of weight you were thinking, some only lose 8 or so pounds ( though i lost 20 so :ohwell: ), but the point of insanity is to tone everything so while you may not lose your magical number you lose a TON of inches everywhere:happy: Also remember that while it is a hard program that you get what you put in to it . Putting the DVD's in won't make you lose weight but the effort you use. It is defiantly worth it in my opinion :smile:
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You're not going from overweight to "awesome" in 5 months, sorry.

As far as whether Insanity "works," anything "works" for someone that is out of shape. The question is what kind of progress you're looking for, and how to make that progress in the quickest way possible for an extended period of time. Translation: The key to looking better is strength training, not aerobics.
  • Amburney
    Amburney Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm in my second month of insanity and it is really insane!!! You have to be motivated which I confess sometimes I'm not but when I looked in the mirrow after the first month I was shocked. The first few weeks you don't see anything but by the time you start the second month, you start seeing some results. I should add though that I was doing other workouts at the gym and running also in addition to Insanity.
  • BigAlfrn
    BigAlfrn Posts: 173 Member
    Options

As far as whether Insanity "works," anything "works" for someone that is out of shape. The question is what kind of progress you're looking for, and how to make that progress in the quickest way possible for an extended period of time. Translation: The key to looking better is strength training, not aerobics.
    ^^^^^^^Thank you!
  • pariskillton
    Options
    you can lose weight from this...but you can also gain weight back if not more...because its like once the 60 days are over u need to move onto something else.. u cant keep doing the same thing or body hits plateau. :(
  • DelanoRM
    DelanoRM Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As someone said earlier, anything works as long as you are committed to it. Insanity is tough and you have to be highly motivated to do it. It's probably not ideal for someone who has never worked out or done any type of aerobic training beforehand; it's something to kind of take things to the next level. But at the end of the day you have to do your best. So you might not be able to keep up with the folks on the video, but you stay after it. Eventually, you'll get better and you'll be able to do more and more. But if you're looking for a miracle transformation like you see on the infomercials ... umm, I'm not sure how realistic that is -- a lot of those folks have a history of working out anyways. They weren't completely out of shape. But Insanity will definitely burn up some calories. Key being how clean your diet is. I do Insanity from time to time to mix up my cardio. But I've gone through a cycle of it and it will give you results.
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I love it! I have not lost a ton of weight from Insanity, but it really does tone a lot so that you will look so much thinner. You do have to do the workout and it can be tough some days to follow through, but you just have to be disciplined enough to do it every day. It is a great program, but like any exercise routine, it only works if you actually do it. I weighed 219 when I started and am half way through the 2nd month and weigh 210. Slow as far as pounds go, but lots of inches gone especially on my thighs, hips and stomach.
  • newbody2013
    Options

No one asked for your rude comment.
    If you have something to say and its not nice than dont say it!
  • newbody2013
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments! I still dont know if I am going to try it but I will keep at my work outs :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

That wasn't rude at all. It was good, solid, clear advice. Getting offended over good advice is ridiculous.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options

I couldn’t disagree with you more based on my personal experience. Tomorrow is my last day doing month one of Insanity and I have had AMAZING results already. The basis of the program is cardio, but there is also resistance training. In 30 days my body has made pretty noticeable changes. I’ve only lost 3 pounds, but I’ve also lost over 10 inches in the first 3 weeks. If your committed to the program it will work for you.

I started in April doing Jillian Michaels 30DS & RI30 prior to moving on to Insanity. Since then I’ve lost about 25 pounds. However, I’ve noticed that I’ve lost more inches with Insanity vs. the other two programs. It is possible to transform your body in 5 months, I know because I’m proof of it! & Still changing for the better :drinker:
  • Boobookittyfq
    Boobookittyfq Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I am complety satisfied with my results! Yes it takes motivation and effort for insanity especially having medical problems but i keep going and indure the pain... I dont follow the nutrition guide but i def. count my calorie intake, and no shakeology shakes just str8 protien shakes as a meal replacement. Im on my last week , and thinking of doing the Asylum next and evention getting into p90x and Tap Out MMA training .. I think if you keep mixing it up your body should not get used to it you have to keep it fresh. Wish you the best on ur new healthy body and way of life dont think of it as a diet slimming into that dress think of if preparing yourself for a health life for your new begining. :happy:
  • kpmom913
    kpmom913 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is interesting that the non supportive comments on Insanity are coming from men....and how do you know somebody can't get awesme results from doing it in 5 months...awesome to them might be different than awesome to somebody else....
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

That wasn't rude at all. It was good, solid, clear advice. Getting offended over good advice is ridiculous.

Not 100% solid. The key to looking better is not only strength training. Aerobics does help people to look better. You really should get a combination of both. And diet is key.
  • laneydawn
    Options
    I think whether or not that comment was rude is irrelevant. We are all on here for a reason, and that is to gain support and get advice from others. That being said, I believe the key to anything "working" is whether or not it is something that YOU like to do. I have tried to force myself to get to the gym, or the swimming pool or do hot yoga becuase that is how other people were successful. I hated doing it, so it didn't work for me. Insanity works for me because I love it! Plain and simple. Im not going to say that I look forward to doing it all the time, but I can honestly say I have never regretted doing it. I dont follow the eating plan, but I do eat healthy. The Insanity plan is way to restrictive for me :ohwell:
    It is a very intense program, and the best advice I was given when I started was that you don't have to complete the program in 60 days. If you aren't ready to start out doing Insanity every day, then start out doing it every second day and take a walk on the other days. Take a look at the workouts on youtube and that will give you an idea of what its all about.
    Good luck! And have a fantastic wedding day!
  • DelanoRM
    DelanoRM Posts: 5 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^Thank you!

The comment wasn't rude in my opinion. Perhaps it lacked some tact, but it's direct and he's not blowing smoke. It all depends on where you are now. If you're really overweight it's going to be a whole lot harder to become "amazing." If you're looking to tone, it could happen. And he's not too far off base on weights vs. aerobics. You need to have a well-rounded plan. I don't just do Insanity; I do it as cardio occasionally because I'm really just maintaining. I also run and hit the treadmill. I mix it up because your body needs that. But I do weights at least five times a week. I hit different body parts and increase the weights to bolster strength. But it's all about what works for you -- your goals. And keep in mind this is sort of a public forum. You throw something out there, don't be mad if someone says something you don't like. Insanity's not for the faint at heart; it's the real deal. But there are so many other things out there that can get your results as long as you're committed and have a clean diet. You lose weight in the kitchen.
  • FireBrand80
    Options

Not 100% solid. The key to looking better is not only strength training. Aerobics does help people to look better. You really should get a combination of both. And diet is key.

I didn't say "only" and didn't mean for it to be taken that way. My point was that if body composition is your main goal, than strength training should be the centerpiece of your training.
  • FireBrand80
    Options

I couldn’t disagree with you more based on my personal experience. Tomorrow is my last day doing month one of Insanity and I have had AMAZING results already. The basis of the program is cardio, but there is also resistance training. In 30 days my body has made pretty noticeable changes. I’ve only lost 3 pounds, but I’ve also lost over 10 inches in the first 3 weeks. If your committed to the program it will work for you.

I started in April doing Jillian Michaels 30DS & RI30 prior to moving on to Insanity. Since then I’ve lost about 25 pounds. However, I’ve noticed that I’ve lost more inches with Insanity vs. the other two programs. It is possible to transform your body in 5 months, I know because I’m proof of it! & Still changing for the better :drinker:

I didn't say Insanity doesn't work. Again, almost anything that disrupts homeostasis can work, for a period of time.
  • FireBrand80
    Options

It was a freebie.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it does work IF you are consistent with it and improve your eating habits . There is NO magic pill. You have to work hard to what you want.

Something to think about:

Cardio for instant calorie gratification (burns fat during workout)

Strength Training for continuous calorie gratification (builds muscle which burns more fat at rest)

Best case scenario is to do both types.