Does it discourage anyone else...

Options
I have lost almost 40 lbs, 16% of my body weight, down 4 pants sizes. But, nobody seems to notice. I know... I am doing this for me, not anyone else, but, a little positive reinforcement sure wouldn't hurt anything. I WILL keep going and reach ALL of my goals for ME! Sorry, just felt the need to vent to others that might understand.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I have lost almost 40 lbs, 16% of my body weight, down 4 pants sizes. But, nobody seems to notice. I know... I am doing this for me, not anyone else, but, a little positive reinforcement sure wouldn't hurt anything. I WILL keep going and reach ALL of my goals for ME! Sorry, just felt the need to vent to others that might understand.

I would be discouraged too if that were the case. Do you have before pics?
  • DeidreWestover
    Options
    Have you bought new clothes? Wearing the same big clothes can cover up your wonderful achievement.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Have you bought new clothes? Wearing the same big clothes can cover up your wonderful achievement.

I think its his pretty frequently the cause
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters...
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    No one had noticed four pant sizes? Thats a major difference, good work by the way. I find some people are quicker to notice and others are really slow, like it takes 30lbs before someone says "have you lost weight?".
    Otherwise people might notice but havent said anything, because they dont know what to say or they could be a tad jealous. Who knows.

Do you have before and after pics? If so, you could post them and others usually have a better eye to noticing changes even when we dont see them ourselves.

I wish more of my friends would notice but one of my close friends did say that I looked really good and that she could tell I was loosing weight and looked close to how I had in highschool. Which was soo nice of her, she usually isnt mushy like that. HAHA. Compliments are nice once and awhile.

Goodluck with the weightloss! Keep at it. 40lbs is major.

Edit: Yes I also agree, if you are wearing the same clothes. Even if they are baggy/loose they could be masking the loss.
  • chip305
    chip305 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I really only have before pictures, and yes I have bought new clothes, nothing I had fit anymore, I have went from plus size down to misses sizes. Oh, well, it will come with time, I'm sure. Just a down day I guess.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    How do your clothes fit? Maybe your clothes aren't revealing your new figure.

Has you weight always fluctuated up and down? Maybe they don't realize that you are actively attempting to lose and that this just isn't a brief low in your normal weight fluctuations.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    YES! When I was losing I dropped 2 sizes and not one word from co-workers. I mentioned it to my husband, who works for the same company, one day and he said "Really, people mention it to me all the time." Now that I've kept it off a few have mentioned it to me, but I still don't know why they mentioned it to him and not me.

It didn't slow me down because I really was doing it for me, but I gotta admit a "You look great" or "How much have you lost?" would have been nice.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    That is a wonderful achievement! Don't let people get you down.
  • sempertracy
    sempertracy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Tell people about your success, nothing wrong with tooting your horn. The more people who know your struggles the more who enjoy in your achievements. I think people sometimes don't comment because they don't know if one is trying to lose weight or something else like a medical condition.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Just wait for it. Youll lose like another 5lbs then EVERYONE around you will say something. It happens weirdly like that.
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I will venture to say that they have noticed. However, they may not know how to compliment you on the change. Some people often time won't say anything because they don't know how you will receive it. They would have to be impaired visually not to notice you have gone done 4 pants size. BTW Congrats!
  • jennco3
    jennco3 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't say anything. It took me dropping 60 lbs for anyone to say a word. Im sure you are doing great and look amazing! Keep it up.
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    sometimes its hard to tell if its people you see everyday, maybe plan a lunch with someone you haven't seen in months? ;)
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Some people are also hesitant to say anything because they aren't sure if it's insulting in some way (I'm sure some people can find a way to turn it into an insult :grumble: ). But I'm sure they ARE noticing because it's a huge change. No one really said anything to me (other than very close friends and family) until I reached about 50lbs.
  • whitsoule
    whitsoule Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    People may notice but not say anything because they wouldn't want to imply that you needed to lose weight? Though, it wouldn't hurt to say, "You look great today" even if they didn't reference weight loss specifically.

Good job on the 40 lbs - that is a TON of work and you must be developing new life habits to commit to that kind of loss. Good for you!

Don't give up - what you are doing is inspirational and HARD and you should be proud of yourself (and enjoy all those new clothes in the misses section!) ;-):happy:
  • michelle2482
    michelle2482 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's an awkward thing at times to talk about someone else's weight, even if the results are positive. Perhaps your friends feel the same way?
  • DeniseBromley
    DeniseBromley Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    People may be noticing but not saying anything - this was the case with me awhile back. I went to a committee meeting and nobody said anything, even tho I had lost over 30 lbs..but the next day, a friend who is also on the committee, called me and said that I was quite the topic of discussion after I left - everybody was commenting on the weightloss, but didn't want to say anything, because they didn't know me well enough.
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    YES! When I was losing I dropped 2 sizes and not one word from co-workers. I mentioned it to my husband, who works for the same company, one day and he said "Really, people mention it to me all the time." Now that I've kept it off a few have mentioned it to me, but I still don't know why they mentioned it to him and not me.

It didn't slow me down because I really was doing it for me, but I gotta admit a "You look great" or "How much have you lost?" would have been nice.

this happened with me - people didn't say a word to me but talked to my boyfriend about it all the time.
  • MommaRou56
    MommaRou56 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I still don't know why they mentioned it to him and not me.

I have had several men tell me, after we discussed it, that they would never have brought it up to me because they had been taught (by their wives and/or mothers) to NEVER say anything to a woman about her weight. Even if you are telling someone they look like they have lost weight, some will take offense at your implication that they needed to lose weight. I have had far more women say things to me than men. Plus, in our ever litigious society, any compliment about how good you look, especially with regard to your body, can be misconstrued and a cause for a lawsuit in an office setting. But keep up the good work! It looks like you and I are on the same weight loss road and near the same spot! And I FEEL so much better than I did before and have so much more energy! :)