Clarity on the Eating back exercise calories controversy

Options
1235»

Replies

• Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I think if people are logging 850 calories for an hour of exercise, that may be why they are hesitant to eat all of those calories back.

I want to know how people are burning that much in one hour.

The more you weigh, the more you burn in a workout. So obese people burn more calories in an hours workout.
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    I think if people are logging 850 calories for an hour of exercise, that may be why they are hesitant to eat all of those calories back.

The more you weigh, the more you burn in a workout. So obese people burn more calories in an hour.

But how many obese people can keep the intensity up for a full hour or more to earn these huge calorie burns that I often see in these posts? A 250 pound person can walk for an hour, but a 600-800 calorie deficit sounds too high. I don't know, I just think some people think cardio burns more than it actually does; and it's the averages on this site that misleads them.
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options

The more you weigh, the more you burn in a workout. So obese people burn more calories in an hour.

But how many obese people can keep the intensity up for a full hour or more to earn these huge calorie burns that I often see in these posts? A 250 pound person can walk for an hour, but a 600-800 calorie deficit sounds too high. I don't know, I just think some people think cardio burns more than it actually does; and it's the averages on this site that misleads them.

Sorry I messed up the quotes and don't know how to fix it :P
  • smiler_87
    Options
    I haven't ate back mine the last two nights and I ate most of them tonight... but I plan on having a cheeky night tomorrow so hopefully it'll even itself out!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    The 2 people who are ripped advocate eating back exercise calories. Just sayin' guys. They seem to know what they're talking about.

I'm not ripped by any stretch, but I'm 118 lbs and have around 17% body fat, I eat 'em back.

I agree......I also eat them back........served me well!!
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think this is a hot button topic because everyone loses weight differently. People think there is some type of magic formula but in truth we are all different. However, being healthy is something I think everyone should take into consideration. It really isn't healthy to be set at 1200 execise and burn 500 and then not eat back those cals. The net calories left is too low and no one can survive like that!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    MFP also confuses what they are doing, because during your Diet/Fitness profile setup - you do indeed enter exercise goals, minutes and frequency.

And there is no explanation that it is only your Activity level, with no exercise included, that forms the basis for where the deficit is taken from.

Not sure how badly the app does it during setup, but that is a confusing idea to begin with, compared to most other sites that do indeed include planned exercise in the daily figure before taking the deficit.

Or even better, let you pick your motivation.

Exercise more to get to eat more, and keep your deficit.
    MFP method to log and eat back exercise.

or

Exercise to what you planned because you are already eating more, and want to keep the deficit.
    With reminder perhaps to drop so many calories of your eating goal from workout until you've done it.
    Then you could have reminders setup to annoy you to workout.

But frankly, it seems like everyone on MFP is great about doing their exercise. In fact, probably more than they'll be able to maintain for long-term.