Type II Diabetes

Options

Replies

• Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your mom. A 600 BG is scary high, I went through something similar the end of 2010. She will have start tracking her food intake and there will be a lot to learn, but I'm sure with your support & her diabetic medical team she can.

I'm an adult onset type 1 diabetic on insulin, and counting carbs is the most important control to bring blood glucose #'s back in line. I suggest you try this MFP group, lots of good people and info available.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/512-diabetes-prediabetes-and-insulin-resistance

In addition you might want to check into DLife.com

Hang in there
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I sent you a couple emails
    Definately see a nutrionist - it was the first thing they sent me too. I pretty much eat paleo and that has solved alot of problems for me.

And I found out I have sleep apnea. And the sleep doctor says every body that has diabetes has sleep apnea. And he's right - every diabetic I know has sleep apnea. Sleep affects how we metablize insulin and sugar. If I sleep badly, my blood sugar the next morning is a good 40-100 points higher then normal.

I do not have sleep apnea. Interestingly, none of the diabetics I know have sleep apnea. Your doctor needs to re-read his medical books.
    Or read this
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/24/sleep-apnea-diabetes-type-2-_n_1539933.html

Neither study says that every body that has diabetes has sleep apnea. And those studies discuss type 2 diabetes, not simply diabetes. According to those studies, sleep apnea only affects 4% of men and 2% of women. What about the rest of the diabetics? Your doctor was simply wrong.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I sent you a couple emails
    Definately see a nutrionist - it was the first thing they sent me too. I pretty much eat paleo and that has solved alot of problems for me.

And I found out I have sleep apnea. And the sleep doctor says every body that has diabetes has sleep apnea. And he's right - every diabetic I know has sleep apnea. Sleep affects how we metablize insulin and sugar. If I sleep badly, my blood sugar the next morning is a good 40-100 points higher then normal.

I do not have sleep apnea. Interestingly, none of the diabetics I know have sleep apnea. Your doctor needs to re-read his medical books.

You have type 1 daibetes. I was referring to type 2.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    There is a T2D group on MFP that might be helpful.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    It can be done! I like to tell fellow diabetics that there IS a cure. It's them.

True if you have type 2. Not true if you have type 1.

Right. My apologies. The majority of the diabetics I meet are T2. My mom's whole family is T2 as well.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    See if the hospital has nutrition services and set up an appointment with a dietician/nutritionist. Many insurances will help pay for it. Some hospitals also have diabetes education classes, you might check into those. Once she's out of the hospital she'll need to see a doctor regularly and they can recommend classes or nutritionists if you don't know where to start.

This... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just be careful. If the nutritionist is encouraging diabetics to eat 60g carb per meal, and several snacks a day... RUN AWAY! I learned the hard way that a controlled carb diet is better than a high carb one.
    Check out http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/
    I've learned so much about insulin and hormones just from living the Primal Blueprint.

ETA:
    This one even more specifically:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diabetes/#axzz23AptoGAa

Good point! All the experts say things a little differently. I would compare what the nutritionist says against the American Diabetic Association and see if they match up. And the point about watching carbs but eating too few calories, also spot on. I have a habit of this and have actually had to STOP counting carbs because I was getting ill from it. I'm still watching my carbs, just eating the right kind and watching portion sizes.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    my mom was diagnosed with diabetes.

after 6 months she was completely off of her medicine (off blood pressure meds too!)

she followed a low carb diet. she also got down to 116 pounds =]

she eats 30 grams of carbs per meal.

diabetes isn't the end of the world.
  • SlimReggieBack
    SlimReggieBack Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My Mother and Grandmother Both have this Im trying to lose weight and get in shape as fast as I can I can understand where you are coming from sorry for your mom I heard rumors about it being a cure around this decade I pray there is a cure.
  • hillbillyannie
    hillbillyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 5 years ago but after losing weight I at first cut back from three Glyberides a day to one about 6 months ago and with my doctors okay stopped taking any about 4 months ago. My sugar has been reading in the 80's and 90's since then but of course mine was never as high as your mom's. It never went over 180.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am a diabetic, have been since age 16. Make sure your mom is able to see a good diabetes educator if she has not already done so. Diabetes is serious, but also very manageable with the right diet changes and medications. Best of luck to her and feel free to add me if you like.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I'm a T1.5 diabetic. I was diagnosed in 2002. Eventually it got out of control and I was put on insulin, and eventually an insulin pump. After I had my first child, I hit rock bottom and knew my life had to change. I was taking massive doses of insulin and metformin. Within a year I was completely drug free.
    It can be done! I like to tell fellow diabetics that there IS a cure. It's them.

I am also 1.5 I dont know about a "cure" so much...once a pancreas is damaged the only fix is getting a new one! But, the disease is very manageable. For T2's with no damage to the pancreas you can certainly improve or reverse your insulin resistance which will help you manage your blood sugar better. My insulin resistance that I had is pretty much gone now...but my pancreas still does not produce insulin and I will still require it for life.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    So, I'm reaching out to my MFP family to help me get started. Do any of you have Diabetes? What are some of your successes and struggles? Any tips? Any yummy recipes? I'd love to hear from you! Also, feel free to add me as a friend!

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, but I'm happy she got diagnosed before anything worse happened. My mom was diagnosed with diabetes at around 45. It just makes everything harder.

My biggest tip is to eat whole foods. Second biggest tip is for you two to lose any fear you might have of fats. SO many of the "low-fat" products out there just replace it with sugar, which is at least as bad. I'm a big fan of the "paleo" or low-carb thing (100g or so for me) but I don't proselytize.

It ain't easy, but you can do it.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    So sorry about your mom. Glad she's starting to recover!

The best advice I've come across is to eat to your meter. I don't have diabetes, but I have access to a meter and have learned what foods spike me. Like a previous poster, fruits, even bananas, have no adverse affect on me, but a piece of bread will send my blood sugar soaring.

If she's looking for online support, Diabetes Daily has a good message board.
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry to hear about your Mom. The great news is it has been discovered and now can be controlled. Tell her to follow her doc's and dietician's instructions to get it under control. AND like already suggested, join MFP. Start logging every thing consumed. (Everything!) And DRINK WATER! Lot's of it. Good Luck! Listen, try not to stress too much. While very serious, It is manageable as long as the known care is followed and she does everthing the professionals tell her. Diet, weight, meds, exercise, followups, etc. Ok? Honest. It will be ok.

One suggestion to you. Besides her fearsof what is happening and new instructions for a different life style for life, she will need your support more than ever, especially with eating habits. Try your best to avoid those 'treats' that are ok for you, but not her while in her presence. Diebeties is no joke. The sugery stuff of the past is over. Help in the new transition to her health by keeping temptations out of the picture. :smile:

I was diagnosed with TypeII several years ago. I have been carrying 275 lbs plus for as long. I was put on 3 meds and sent to the Dietician. The labs run AIC every 3 months. I went to the doc today and was told now I lost 28 lbs since last AIC, my count went from 7+ to 5.6. Doc took me off glipizide and said see him in 2 weeks, if stable, he may stop the Janumet 2K to just metformin until next AIC. He said if I continue to lose it is possible I may be able to come off the meds by Christmas completely. Now that's a real nice bonus goal to work for. Feel free to ask any questions. Help is all around you. :wink:
  • susanaemendez
    susanaemendez Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone for all of your input and support! I'm going to set my mom up on the site and we'll get logging together!
  • scrubjay67
    Options
    I was diagnosed w/ Type ll diabetes a few weeks ago. AIC was 7 so at low end. Started MFP and have improved my eating tremendously as a result, and am starting to lose weight. i'm not on meds at this point and if i can control it thru diet/exercise, I may not have to be. I'm wondering though, how do other Type ll's spread out your carbs? How many do you each with each meal? Is there an ideal number per day? How many is too many?

Thanks for any insight on that.

Also, I lived on diet soda. I'm convinced it played a role in developing metabolic syndrome. I stopped when I heard I was diabetic, something i never thought I could do. Now it's water all the time, something else I never thought I could do as I never found it satisfying. But I've discovered it grows on you.

Anyone else have any thoughts on diet soda and metabolic syndrome?

Thanks for your feedback!
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed w/ Type ll diabetes a few weeks ago. AIC was 7 so at low end. Started MFP and have improved my eating tremendously as a result, and am starting to lose weight. i'm not on meds at this point and if i can control it thru diet/exercise, I may not have to be. I'm wondering though, how do other Type ll's spread out your carbs? How many do you each with each meal? Is there an ideal number per day? How many is too many?

Thanks for any insight on that.

Also, I lived on diet soda. I'm convinced it played a role in developing metabolic syndrome. I stopped when I heard I was diabetic, something i never thought I could do. Now it's water all the time, something else I never thought I could do as I never found it satisfying. But I've discovered it grows on you.

Anyone else have any thoughts on diet soda and metabolic syndrome?

Thanks for your feedback!

From Livingstrong.com:
    Carbohydrate Counting
    Patients with diabetes often need to count the amount of carbohydrates that they consume each day in order to keep their blood glucose levels low. Because each person is different, you may need to determine the amount of carbohydrates that work for your body via trial and error. Aiming for between 45 g and 60 g of carbohydrates at each meal is a good starting point, the American Diabetes Association notes.

Research which carbs are good or not so good for us, based on how they break down and affect the insulin levels. Choose what works best for you. Choose what you like. Limit carbs each meal so they are shared through the day. I choose carbs that break down slowly. Do not cause ‘Spikes’. I know if I do not have enough carbs. I will experience hypoglycemia and must get my blood/sugar level up. I keep glucose tablets handy in case I have too few, or wait too long. They are only a ‘fix’ and appropriate food must follow very soon after.

But it is a learning process. I eat salad, vegetables with meals. I may have a small portion of fruit for dessert. I avoid potatoes which convert fast. I keep steamed broccoli in the fridge all the time. Nice snack very low in caI but small carb boost. keep peanutes handy in case i need an occasional quick boost.(just a few, chew completely, they will help). Light colored fruits generally contain less sugars than reds or purples. Be very careful with fruits. They convert fast. Again research and if it helps, print out a list of those foods you will likely use on a daily bases, showing the carbs, sugars, & glycemic effect . There are charts available on line with all of this. Do what works for you. A fellow diabetic. Good Luck.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Is there an ideal number per day? How many is too many?

As diabetes is an inability to handle carbohydrates, generally speaking the less the better. 60-100g per day will keep you away from ketosis but relatively low carb. Low GI carbs have less impact, the less you eat at once the better. So 3 meals at 20-30g max each or 3 meals at 15 each and 3 snacks at 5g each.

Beware of mainstream diet advice being offered to diabetics by organisations funded by cereal companies and the like. I plugged my data into the ADA web site and nearly cried when I saw it's recommended menu. Having met a woman with the bottom of her leg amputated through diabetes, and a man blind in one eye, I am appalled that better information is not made available - see http://www.drbriffa.com/category/diabetesmetabolic-syndrome/

Type II diabetes was reversed using a rapid weight loss diet protocol in clinical trials - http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press.release/item/diet-reverses-type-2-diabetes/
    this replicated the effect often seen with gastric surgery.
  • scrubjay67
    Options
    Thank you! Very helpful. I do have that sense of low vs. high glycemic carbs, tho not as clear about it when it comes to fruit. I adore fruit, and now realize I ate way too much of it leading up to pre and now "post" diabetes. So I've cut way back and pick and choose carefully for a variety of nutrients. Your color code on this is helpful. I will look for info online for more specifics.

Thank you for your feedback!
  • scrubjay67
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I'm very interested to take a look at your links. I see there is a rather wide discrepancy in advice on carbs so it's clear there isn't one perfect answer and I'll have to aim low and judge by my blood counts. Because MFP allows us to alter our Goals, I've lowered the carb limit to reflect my restrictions as a diabetic.

My physician said that diabetes can't really be "reversed", it can be put into sort of a "remission." If you get back into the normal range for blood glucose, it will should stay there, but will lurk in the background if you relapse into eating hi carbs again and getting overweight. So it is incumbent eat right and exercise to stay in "remission". I quote it bc he used that term as an analogy.

MFP makes all of this so much easier in terms of tracking and data. Which, if i had to do all that manually, I would quickly give up. Lost about 10 pounds slowly so far and am delighted. Tho apparently that's not enuf to see a significant change in my blood glu numbers. But I'm assuming patience is everything! I have another question I'm going to post separately about wake up glucose numbers. Thanks again for your reply.