Can birth control keep me from losing weight?

Options

Replies

• pegasus925
    pegasus925 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I personally think so. I couldn't lose to save my life.
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 pounds since being on the Depo. The doctor did give me a talk before my first shot saying a lot women gain around 30 pounds the first year. Just be mindful, I did notice the first week after getting my shots I would be hungry ALL the time, I'm not sure if it was the actual depo or my mind but I kept in mind what the doctor had said and just refused to eat outside of what I normally would.
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Ah hell! The pill made me gain 289 lbs! But at least I am child free! :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I've been on Depo for 4 years, It hasn't caused me to gain weight at all (in fact, I lost five pounds in the first 3-month shot cycle).

Everyone is different, but I'm all about better living through chemistry. If you told me I could lose 5 pounds by getting off of Depo, I'd just learn to live with my 5 pounds.
  • Pie1973
    Pie1973 Posts: 10
    Options
  • Pie1973
    Options
  • Pie1973
    Options
    I used to feel the same way but then I realized that A) I like sex and B) 10-15lbs gain and more difficulty taking it off is much better than 25lbs gain for nine months and then a baby FOR LIFE*

*when you aren't ready... when you want to be a mommy I am sure the latter part of B is worth everything!!!
    Again, I ask: are there any non-hormonal options? It all seems to black and white on this thread.

Yes, there is a non-hormonal iud. See link below....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUD_with_copper
  • corrieville
    corrieville Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I take the pill and have not noticed any weight gain and I am still losing weight. I would not thrust using the natural methods of tracking your fertility unless you are fully in a place where having a baby with the person is an okay possibility.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    stop getting it, .. I gained all my weight due to it and its difficult weight to shift its hormonal weight. I went from a size 8-18 in 3-6months and 3 depo shots ... Recently 2 of my young sisters friends got this shot and both have gained weight ...
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have an IUD and I feel it didn't make any difference.
  • invisiblemonster
    invisiblemonster Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    fab, i'm supposed to be getting the injection on thursday, but now i'm far too scared :/
  • crimson_seven
    Options
    fab, i'm supposed to be getting the injection on thursday, but now i'm far too scared :/

I've lost 10 lbs since starting Depo by exercising regularly and not eating everything in sight.
  • crimson_seven
    Options
    Abstinence is the only 100% guaranteed method of pregnancy and STD prevention. I have 8 younger siblings. I know that condoms do not prevent pregnancy. give me the pill. I have done my research and this is what I will use till my husband and I are done cresting our family. After we have our last little one he is getting a vasectomy. And he volunteered because he did his own research on it and tubal ligation.

Considering American women have a 25% chance of being raped in their lifetime, I'll stay on hormonal birth control to prevent pregnancy. I was using the abstinence method, and then it happened to me and I got an STD (thankfully not pregnant though). I don't mean to be mean or off topic, but this REALLY irks me when people say this, because I have a higher chance of using "abstinence" and getting pregnant from non-consensual sex than I do getting pregnant on the Depo shot having sex every single day.

Pretty sad thing about this world, I guess.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way but then I realized that A) I like sex and B) 10-15lbs gain and more difficulty taking it off is much better than 25lbs gain for nine months and then a baby FOR LIFE*

*when you aren't ready... when you want to be a mommy I am sure the latter part of B is worth everything!!!
    Again, I ask: are there any non-hormonal options? It all seems to black and white on this thread.

Yes it's called NFP which has a high failure rate or using condoms or a diaphragm (which you need to get fitted for)
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I read a study that said the hormones from birth control can actually cause insulin resistance! Terrible. Anyway, that's why I use ParaGard, it's a copper IUD that doesn't have any hormones--it's worked for me so far!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I read a study that said the hormones from birth control can actually cause insulin resistance! Terrible. Anyway, that's why I use ParaGard, it's a copper IUD that doesn't have any hormones--it's worked for me so far!
    Thank you!!! The first person (besides me) who replied suggesting a non-hormonal, effective form of BC!!!
    Interesting about insulin resistance. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Yes it's called NFP which has a high failure rate or using condoms or a diaphragm (which you need to get fitted for)
    No.... not the only options. But yes, a diaphragm takes about 10 minutes to get fitted for. No different than getting a mirena placed really. I've had both.
    And then there's the good ole non-hormonal IUD....
    I'm just surprised that the two choices here seem to be pregnancy or hormones (or NFP). There are other options...
  • Jenloma
    Jenloma Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Get off Depo and use a different birth control. That will shed like 10 pounds once your off
  • Dannika7
    Options
    I had lapband surgery 1 year ago and lost some weight untill I went on the depo 6 months after surgery. In that time I was also diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I have been off the depo for 6 months now and losing weight. I also have my doctors stumped because since stopping it I no longer have any symptoms of bipolar or depression...

so from my experience, this stuff can cause major issues with your body and mind
  • RSS963
    RSS963 Posts: 7
    Options
    Depo has been the worst BC I've been on. I started losing hair, which has not grown back. Terrible mood swings, weight gain and when I was on Depo, they didn't want you taking it longer than X amount of years because there was something about depo making the bones less dense. Google it. Scary stuff! I'm taking a low dose pill now, and I like it much better.
    Best Of Luck!