I need help. Cut calories, exercise, no loss

Options
I am 44 years old, 5'2" and weigh 211 pounds. I started a diet on July 8 with the goal of losing 100 pounds. I was ingesting about 2200 calories a day with no exercise. I cut my calories to about 1400 and started 1 hour of high impact aerobic dance every day with no loss, lowered to 1300, now 1258 with still little change. Not sure what to do to make inches or pounds fall off. I think my diary is public if anyone can look at it and give me advice. I eat only whole grains, fruits, veggies and protein. One meal daily is a Shaklee protein complete meal shake. I am so very discouraged.

Replies

• Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you that I am 5'2.5" and someone who seems to be very knowledgeable who suggested I eat 1600 cals and work out 3 days a week. I was eating about the same as you and exercising my butt off. I am really on my first week of this but I had my son home Sunday and Monday and I did not eat right lol! If you want to friend me you can see how I do?

Maybe you can try that since we are about the same?
  • klsdwn
    klsdwn Posts: 54
    Options
    I am certainly no expert, and it is easier said than done for sure (I do not have perfect days), but here are some things that I have found to be helpful:

Try to limit your starchy carbs. Fruit and non-starchy veggies are a great choice. I eat a lot of broccoli and green beans (and I really limit myself on corn and peas, even though they are my favorites... very carby!) I don't eat nearly the amount of bread/potatoes/etc. that I used to. It's not about cutting carbs all-together (bad idea!) but choosing the right ones!

You can also replace red meat with white meat. Ground turkey and ground chicken are tasty! I noticed you made hamburger helper one day. Obviously that isn't the most healthful choice ever, but I know that we all need to eat things we like! Something that could help a little is using ground chicken or ground turkey instead of ground beef. I only allow myself red meat once a week, when I am behaving perfectly! :)

An example of a fantastic meal (in my opinion) is 6 oz of protein-- chicken breast, turkey breast, 4 egg whites, etc. and two "carbs"-- only one should be "starchy" though-- for example 1 cup of green beans and a whole wheat english muffin OR 1 cup of broccoli and a 1/2 c of peaches, etc.

Again, I am NO expert, and people might disagree with me, but I have found that when I stick to a high protein diet where I limit my carbs (40 carbs per meal) that I have success!

Good luck to you!
  • Avistew
    Avistew Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Are your measurements the same too? If they aren't, it could be that your body is slowly changing composition, with more muscle and less fat.

Otherwise, there is a method that sometimes work of alternating calories so that your body doesn't get used to anything, kind of like keeping it on its toes. I don't know if it will work for you, but I guess you have nothing to lose except the weight :)

For instance, you could alternate days at 1500 and days at 1200, which would make an average of 1350, but your metabolism shouldn't slow down to adapt, because your intake isn't regular. There shouldn't be a huge range between the two, and the lower of the two should be 1200 or more, but other than that you can set it at different numbers if you want.

Another possibility is that you're not eating enough. Some people seem to have a lot of trouble losing weight if they eat a lot less than their BMR. What's your BMR?

I'm also not sure if exercising every day is that good for you when it's high impact. Sometimes it pays off better in the long run to let your body rest between workouts. Then it gets stronger as it rests, and you get more out of the next session. I would suggest every other day instead of every day, this being said dance is probably more forgiving than other types of exercise, so it might still be fine.

Good luck, and don't get discouraged! I'm sure your body will catch up with your efforts eventually.
  • carini_wini
    carini_wini Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The problem with the human body is that it's not really a cookie cutter thing. What works for some doesn't work for others, and as such some advice may not apply to you at all! I'd suggest testing out different methods, shake up your routine, and then see what sticks.

Maybe try something strange like eating a smidgeon more because with the amount of work you're doing you're gonna need to properly fuel that body! Give that some time and if that doesn't work, eat less. Work out more, work out less, do different workouts, change what kinds of foods you eat.

When I first started out I was dropping weight fairly well.. but I looked about the same. I was eating a lot less than I needed, and my work outs were mainly cardio and nothing else. Now that I've been told to eat a little bit more and do more weight training I'm not losing the weight as fast :3 but I feel like I look a lot better! For my friend it was the exact opposite! So try different things until you feel like one fits right with you.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You need to be eating more. You should definitely be eating back the calories you burn from exercise. You should also be eating vegetables. I looked over several days of your diary and the only vegetable I found was spinach. Vegetables are an important source of a lot of vitamins and minerals and are low in calories. And, they're delicious!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Eat 2200 and exercise daily.. or eat about 1600 and don't exercise.. Also, I'd drop the grains.
  • ruthmiriam
    ruthmiriam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    We are almost twins! :) I am also 44, starting weight was 240, now at 204, total I want to lose over 100 pounds.

Are you weighing and measuring everything? That is really important when you are first starting--I am still weighing and measuring almost everything. There is a good chance that you are overestimating your calories, since you should be at a really big calorie deficit, and therefore losing weight.

I have gone lower carb, but mostly just because carbs have so many more calories per volume, and I prefer to be able to fill up on lots and lots of veggies rather than using up the calories on the carbs. However, I decided for myself that no food is off limits, I just need to have portion control.

So, if you haven't been weighing and measuring your food (pretty much all of it), try it for a week or two and see if it makes a difference. If you have been, I would recommend consulting with a doctor. If you really are eating that few calories and exercising, you should be losing. There may be a medical reason why you are not.

Oh, and feel free to add me as a friend if you want, since we are twins and all. :)
  • morant220
    morant220 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How are you eating your meals? Eating 5-6 times is a good start; staying within your calories. You may want tocheck out carb cycling too. A friend that has about the same amount to lose just read Chris Powell's book and he is big on that and how you combine foods. I have a friend trying his method and she's lost about 12 lbs so far and she's only been doing it for about 2-3 weeks.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at your diary yet but thought that I'd add that if you are not logging your sodium, you may be surprised at how much you are eating, there by retaining water.
  • LoriWilkinson548
    Options
    My BMR is 2300. I entered info into myfitnesspal iphone app and it decided I need to eat 1200 calories to lose 2 lbs a week, but I felt miserable on 1200 calories. With me having a desk job I canteat numerous meals a day. When I as eating 1400 calories a day I was forcing myself to eat that much.

In response to one question, I have lost inches either. I appreciate the ideas coming.
  • jwatson7
    jwatson7 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am going to tell you what worked for me. Please keep in mind that I am not an expert by any means and everyone is different so my approach may not work for you. At any rate this what I did/do. I hit a point when I quit losing weight. I was staying under my calorie goal daily and exercising M-F and I wasn't losing. I began eating back my exercise calories and the weight started to come back off. I also changed up my exercise routine. I switch things up about every six weeks. I alternate cardio and strength training days. I also read New Rules of Lifting for women. I learned that I was not lifting heavy enough weights. It also recommended not doing cardio and strength training on the same day and if you, space out the time between the work outs. The biggest thing for me was not creating a huge calorie deficit. I was cranky and not pleasant to be around and I quit losing. I've learned to eat my exercise calories back, increase my weights, alternate cardio and strength training days and to switch up my exercise routine. Best of luck! Hope you find works best for you!
  • LoriWilkinson548
    Options
    I eat green beans, lettuce and spinach. I tried to cut out the starchy corn, peas. I amnot much of a fan of veggies, but eat a lot if fruit.
  • LoriWilkinson548
    Options
    I do strength training 3 days a week.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Different foods affect different people. For me, and I am in maintenance (70 pounds lost), I still have to watch my fat intake...even if under my calorie goal. I still have a mess of ribs or brisket every now and then, but no more chicken wings 3 times per week, lol. Fish is my new "red meat", as is pork loin (trimmed), shrimp, scallops, turkey and chicken breast. All lean cuts. Lots of veggies, salads, but watch the salad dressing.

During my weight loss I tried Atkins (no exercise either) with great success and lost 75 pounds (read the book - it is NOT all meat) But the diet was too restrictive for me and when I went off of it, I gained 40 back in short order. Weight Watchers was incredibly helpful (lost 15 of the yoyo 40) until they switched to their new Points Plus system (which I hated) with all of their weird rules. After all of my dieting I realized it came down to 2 things...

Diet and Exercise ... Calories in > calories out = weight gain.

Drink lots of "good" fluids, minimize your salt intake (which means cooking a lot of meals) and don't eat out unless you research the calories online - before you go - know your menu choice. Try to get some regular workouts in...even if it is only a 30 minute walk.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I eat green beans, lettuce and spinach. I tried to cut out the starchy corn, peas. I amnot much of a fan of veggies, but eat a lot if fruit.

You need more vegetables than fruit. Fruits are high in sugar, and too much sugar, whether it's natural or refined, can slow weight loss. Vegetables are great, you just have to keep trying them. Cook them in different ways, use different combinations, include them in dishes (not to hide them, but to experience them). You'd be surprised.
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? For example if your intake is 1300cals and you get say 1 hour of dance (minus 500-700 cals) your daily is only 600-800 cals. Your metabolism would slow down and your body would convert even good things to fat to fight off starvation.
    I was on 1300 cals for about 9 months without exercise and lost 28-30lbs. After feeling light enough to exercise without the impact on the knees and rest of the body I then started exercising but added in all the calories burned. Initially after starting exercising I didn't lose but about 4-5 weeks into it I started to see it happen. I've dropped another 7-8lbs in last 1 months and still working for more.
  • Avistew
    Avistew Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do strength training 3 days a week.

Strength training is good, but it can be pretty ineffective if the muscles aren't fed enough. Make sure to eat enough protein for them to rebuild on your rest days.

If you're miserable at 1200, then aim for only 1lb/week weight loss for now, which would be 1700 net calories a day (net calories meaning that if you work out, then you need to eat back what you worked off).
    Or you can try 1200 net calories instead of 1200 total.

I used to have trouble reaching 1000 calories, but by switching what I ate I'm able to reach 1500 now. Maybe you can do something similar. I'll take a look at your journal and see if I can make suggestions.
  • LoriWilkinson548
    Options
    I will try preparing them in different ways.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Definitely try boosting your calories. If 1600 seems too high, try for 1450 or 1500 and see if that works. I would try increasing protein as well, 100g per day is a good goal.

I know people are going to say "a calorie is a calorie", but my husband and I BOTH tend to drop weight more easily when we eat fish instead of red meat to get our protein. Maybe we have trouble digesting red meat or something, I don't know.

Don't despair, you WILL find what works for you. Good luck!
  • LoriWilkinson548
    Options
    I had not thought of that. I will try increasing my calories to 1500 a day with me exercising. I dont want to lose weight without exercising. My parents and my sister lost well over 100 pounds each, but have a lot of excess skin because they did not exercise while losing. I expect to have some loose skin due to being 100 pounds overweight for 20 years (Ihave weighed 210 give or take 10 lbs since the birth of my now 21 year old son).