Why can't I get motivated?

Options
So I have done the dieting thing and I had done well previously BUT...I am now at the heaviest that I have EVER been and I can't get myself going.

I know what I should be eating and I know that I need to exercise but I just can't keep to it.

Part of me thinks that I am just being lazy and using EVERYTHING as an excuse and part of me thinks that I just don't want it bad enough.

I am looking for friends to help motivate me and help me through this to become healthier.

thanks,
Karen

Replies

• emmamiso5
    Options
    Everyone always wants to be skinnier and wishes that one day we'd just wake up and lose five pounds. I think you do want it, just may not want to do the work it requires yet.

I had an aha moment and when you get to this point, you'll get motivated. I was doing this grueling bike ride realizing how I didn't need my stomach to be hanging over my legs on a huge climb. That was it. I was fed up with myself.

Sometimes looking at pictures of yourself motivates you. For me, I didn't even like being in the pictures.

Try to make yourself a list of reasons and that may motivate you.

It's a daily struggle; just take it a day at a time. Hope this helps...
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I think everyone gets to their "aha" moment. Before that, it is just an idle wish. For me, I was on a girls' weekend in the mountains. My friend took my iPad and snapped a photo of me with my dog. I took the iPad pad and looked at that woman sitting there with bulges waving out of a really cute Banana Republic tee-shirt. Five minutes later, I joined MFP and logged the banana I had just eaten for breakfast. That was 50 days ago and I still have plenty of motivation every time I think of that photo.
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    you probabaly know it all too, dieting doesn't work it is a lifestyle change, etc. I have been through diets too, works while you are on a diet but after you just go back to old habits... and eating is emotional. taking it slowly, day by day. I once recorded myself, making a motivational speech to myself, laughing at myself, encouraging, etc. it helped listening to my own voice:) just don't give up, if you do you will be getting heavier and heavier and heavier and unhealthier... do you really want that?
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I would love to have you as a friend, but i have to say that if you arent doing it, its because you dont truly want it enough. Been that route... BUT hearing that should motivate you some! We can totally do this!! <3
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It is hard to stay motivated sometimes when life gets in the way or you are tired or feel like nothing you're doing is working or at least not working fast enough. I have those days too... actually, I've had those weeks, lol. But, I always come back around and get back in the groove because I really want to feel great and be proud of how I look. It also helps that I have a great boyfriend who is also working on getting healthy and shedding some extra pounds and he encourages me to keep on track.

I have a list of WHY I WANT TO GET LEAN AND HEALTHY that I refer to regularly and I look at photos of the fat me and (old photos) of the thin me and I get angry that I let myself get so out of shape. Sometimes it helps to use that anger to fuel my workouts.

But, in the end I believe this:

IF IT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU, YOU WILL FIND A WAY. IF NOT, YOU'LL FIND AN EXCUSE.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I knew I needed it like forever -- even before my doctor started telling me so. But I am more of a mental action than physical action person and I'm OK with that. I never had --and still don't -- have any great desire or need to "prove myself" through sports or great physical challenges. It just doesn't interest me in the least. It wasn't until I realized that my doctor (and the surgeon who did my knee surgery last year) wasn't going to pay much attention to me saying that there was still something not quite right about it even if it's better than it was. But it still hurts sometimes and I can't run or jump or anything that causes a sudden impact or jarring or I will crash land in enormous pain. But when his answer to my sudden-onset NSAID stomach upset was to put me on an addictive opiate that was supposed to be "total pain relief" but instead put me in constant agonizing pain and gave me a rash on my arms (this after having the pain almost totally under control on the acetaminophen and naproxen. I just couldn't stop taking them without triggering great pain and the NSAID was upsetting my stomach after prolonged use. So it was totally UNACCEPTABLE to go to constant excruciating pain to where I could not function!) But as they keep saying they can't find anything else wrong and just kept pointing at weight loss as the magic answer, I finally said, fine, I hate it, but I'll do it and we'll find out who is right. I mean I know that could be PART of the problem but I am pretty sure that it isn't the whole story as the first time I remember having joint issues was 23 years ago at 120 pounds in college. At 5'2", that is definitely in the healthy weight range so it wasn't an overweight problem back then, that is for sure and certain!! But when it came to a choice of addictive, pain producing medication, debilitating stomach upset or get over my lifelong aversion to exercise, I finally found something I hate worse than exercise. I still don't love it .... but I got my sights on a higher goal that is more important to me than my present comfort. With exercise, I am able to cut the naproxen down to 500 mg once a day instead of two and the acetaminophen I can get by with two to three 500 mg tabs per day instead of four; and if I eat whole wheat bread, fiber bars and Fiber One cereal and Darigold cottage cheese and Lucerne or Western Family yogurt (all of which has acidophilus and bifidus probiotics --actually more than the brands such as Activia that bill themselves as probiotic yogurts), then I keep the stomach upset under control so it's all good. I think I am going to prove them wrong and they will have to take a more serious look at what's going on when they see I am doing my part and losing weight like they want. But if I happen to be wrong and this does solve it, I still win cause the pain will be gone. So it's a win-win....either way we find a way to make the pain go away for good and THAT is worth the effort no matter how much I hate physical exertion. So it's like everyone else says -- you just have to find that one thing that drives you to transcend your reluctance and hesitation and pursue a goal higher than your resignation or pseudo-satisfaction with the status quo and make a lifestyle change. My husband is diabetic and when he was diagnosed, we took a nutrition class at the hospital to help us get started on his diet plan. I learned alot, but the thing that really stuck out the most is that it isn't so much about depriving yourself or cutting anything out entirely or following a "diet plan" per se as it is about being aware of how much your body actually needs (ALOT less than fast food supersizing and misleading package labels lead us to believe!) and to fill up those requirements with healthy choices in a good general balance of carbs/proteins/fats. All the advice we got doesn't just apply to diabetics -- it's really just eating healthy, in moderate portions, the way everyone really should eat. We can all follow the diabetic "diet" these days because it's not like it used to be where they totally cut out everything that tastes good....it's simply choosing to eat healthy as a lifestyle. So I hope that helps give you some ideas to think about to fuel your motivation.
  • K_Smith86
    K_Smith86 Posts: 123
    Options
    We all go through that phase of not being motivated to do something, it's part of life. I can guarantee you that something will happen that will provide you with that spark that will motivate you again. You CAN do this, we all can. And it's hard, there's no denying that. I just found my motivation a couple weeks ago, and it really started to kick in this week. Yeah, most days I come home from work and really don't feel like going for my evening walk, but I do it because I have to. Maybe try to find something that can provide that motivation for you, and hang on to it with all that you can. Honestly for me, one of my main motivations is my father. He was diagnosed this last December with stage 4 lung cancer, and was given 6 months to a year to live. While I believe that the time frame they gave him is a bunch of bull, it's just now hitting the 8th month mark. I've watched him go from being active and having a fun life, to being practically bed ridden and in excruciating amounts of pain. He's lost over 100 pounds in 8 months, and reality hit me that he's probably not going to make it until New Years. As much as I want him to beat this and live the long, healthy life he deserves, reality is proving otherwise. The last thing I want him to have to worry about is my health. So he's become one of my motivations. That when / if he goes, he'll have the peace of mind knowing that his daughter is healthy and going to be okay. Sorry if that was too much info, but like I said, find that motivation, that spark, and hold on to it.