Supplement questions....

Options

Replies

• girlcube
    girlcube Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who suggested eating clean and black coffee.

This won't help you lose fat, but occasionally, when I know I'm going to get get a little ouchy after a lifting day (or new routine/activity), I pop a couple of BCAA supplements pre and/or post workout.

This makes getting out of bed the next day (and subsequent workout) much more bearable.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

Actually unlike with the guy with the 6 pack said, its actually been shown to reduce body fat in overweight and obese individuals who take 3400g or more a day. For the guy with the 6 pack, its obviously useless because he doesn't appear to have much body fat so naturally it would make sense that it wouldn't work for people like him.

Now I have been trim before but after two kids and 50+ lbs weight gain for both, I have put on body fat. I am now 184.5 lbs. I've been taking this at 6000mg/daily for 9 days (lower dose previous week) and have lost 6 inches which 2 of those are from my waist in the first week. I got those results obviously from healthy eating and exercise every day but when I worked out in the past, I lost more weight but I wasn't reducing body fat %. I've lost 3 lbs in 1st week (2 lbs assumed water) but I've lost inches and KEPT the muscle I have been building this week. I am actually seeing definition in areas where there hasn't been in years since having kids. I spent a long time at the gym before I had children and never got results like what I'm getting.

They did a study of this in Toronto from a University I attended and I agree with the results 100%. They mentioned that also can't take CLA alone but it should be taken with Green Tea Extract, Forslean, etc,. You can google how much of these extracts you should be getting in a day to be effective.. I can't remember the exact number but the supplement I'm taking with the CLA has enough to be effective. There has been some research that suggests diabetics and those at risk of developing diabetics shouldn't take it. I have had my blood tested because this was mentioned in some studies and my physician says everything is great and to keep doing what I am doing.

I don't care what anyone says.. I have over 30 lbs of body fat to lose. People who have serious tone won't find it to work and I commend their results and hard work but for what I'm trying to do it works for me and I recommend it for anyone who has a lot of body fat. Just my two cents and my experience.. find out for yourself. Add me if you'd like to keep up with my results.

Keep your money. CLA is only proven to assist as an anticancer.
    Unless you want to waste money into using higher dosage (3.2g) than what is the recommended dose along with a complex combination of other supplements (more money), use the KISS factor.
    Please remember that the OP asked for NATURAL options. Supplements are not "Natural"

EDIT: I've used CLA and other supplements and have had equal success just by working out regularly and eating right.

Actually, recommended dose total per day for CLA can be up to 6000mg/daily or 6g. Anything more than that hasn't been proven to increase fat loss and is unknown as to whether it is healthy to consume any more than 6g a day. CLA isomers 9, 10 and 12 have been proven to also decrease body fat composition in obese and overweight people.

There have been so many American studies on CLA that just allow people in the study to eat crap food like McDonalds then come in expecting like CLA is a miracle pill rather than trying to study the effects of CLA on people who eat healthy and exercise. In the University of Toronto study by Dr Rao and Andrews, all subjects were to eat healthy and exercise. It was pretty evident in the paper that those who did not lose weight were either taking the placebo (olive oil) or cheated their diet and that was a small percentage on both sides.

Futhermore, OP asked for Natural.. Please remember there are various supplements that are natural but are in softgel and powder form. Plenty that provide up to 6000mg a day through 2-3 dosage periods as well. Nothing wrong with that. You would have been better off just telling the OP to eat beef and cheese if she wants "natural CLA" instead of trying to tell OP that its ineffective. Not helpful.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I'm bulking right now and one of the ways I'm keeping fat at bay is with CLA. It's been clinically proven to work. A number of studies have been done. Refer this http://www.ajcn.org/content/85/5/1203.abstract.

If you have the money, there's nothing wrong with using a protein supplement.

Glad its working for you too.. sad that it doesn't seem to work for some people. :(

I agree as well and would highly recommend getting protein supplements too. Great for after a workout or a good boost in the morning. I use mine after workouts to help muscles recover from the workout.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I agree with everyone who suggested eating clean and black coffee.

This won't help you lose fat, but occasionally, when I know I'm going to get get a little ouchy after a lifting day (or new routine/activity), I pop a couple of BCAA supplements pre and/or post workout.

This makes getting out of bed the next day (and subsequent workout) much more bearable.

BCAA supplements are great! OP can try this as well. I personally don't them all the time but they do help for after the workout.

Is coffee good for you? Serious question here. It's not something I looked into because I hate coffee but I'm curious to know what you know :)
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Actually unlike with the guy with the 6 pack said, its actually been shown to reduce body fat in overweight and obese individuals who take 3400g or more a day. For the guy with the 6 pack, its obviously useless because he doesn't appear to have much body fat so naturally it would make sense that it wouldn't work for people like him.

posting for Acg67...or the "guy with the 6 pack"
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20060310/study-cla-doesnt-keep-pounds-off

"Researchers found that obese people who took the supplement for one year did not lose any more weight than those who took a placebo."
  • befitandfearless
    Options
    Drink a lot of green tea! Helps speed up metabolism and burn fat.

I also always have a Whey Protein shake in the morning for fast acting protein; Whey is the easiest protein to be absorbed quickly by our organism.

&At night I have a Casein Protein shake for slow acting protein; It helps you stay fuller longer and provides building material for muscle recovery which occurs mostly when sleeping.

This is what I swear by, I don't like taking to much supplements and try to keep everything natural.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I would like to find a natural supplement that will help repair my muscles after lifting and also a nutritional supplement and/or fat burner.

Metabolism: You can keep it simple and drink some black coffee prior to exercise

Recovery: Aside from eating a good diet with good proteins, supplementing with Leucine isn't a bad idea at all.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I use CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid), Green Tea Extract.. CLA has mostly positive reviews nothing recent.. some buff folks say they don't like it but its worked really well for me and I'm 5' 5" 184lbs.

You can either buy it separately or as part of a kit.

I use a kit by Genuine Health that combines them both (abs+ & lean+ extra strength). I don't know if they have products in USA but I've used their products on and off for years and they work well for me. My doctor OK'd it and I've lost 2" already because of healthy eating, exercise and the CLA. This is my first time having to use CLA so I definitely see the difference in weight/fat loss after having two kids.

Im very intersted in theis CLA - what is the use and what have the results been????

Now I have been trim before but after two kids and 50+ lbs weight gain for both, I have put on body fat. I am now 184.5 lbs. I've been taking this at 6000mg/daily for 9 days (lower dose previous week) and have lost 6 inches which 2 of those are from my waist in the first week. I got those results obviously from healthy eating and exercise every day but when I worked out in the past, I lost more weight but I wasn't reducing body fat %. I've lost 3 lbs in 1st week (2 lbs assumed water) but I've lost inches and KEPT the muscle I have been building this week. I am actually seeing definition in areas where there hasn't been in years since having kids. I spent a long time at the gym before I had children and never got results like what I'm getting.

They did a study of this in Toronto from a University I attended and I agree with the results 100%. They mentioned that also can't take CLA alone but it should be taken with Green Tea Extract, Forslean, etc,. You can google how much of these extracts you should be getting in a day to be effective.. I can't remember the exact number but the supplement I'm taking with the CLA has enough to be effective. There has been some research that suggests diabetics and those at risk of developing diabetics shouldn't take it. I have had my blood tested because this was mentioned in some studies and my physician says everything is great and to keep doing what I am doing.

I don't care what anyone says.. I have over 30 lbs of body fat to lose. People who have serious tone won't find it to work and I commend their results and hard work but for what I'm trying to do it works for me and I recommend it for anyone who has a lot of body fat. Just my two cents and my experience.. find out for yourself. Add me if you'd like to keep up with my results.

Can you link me to the study? I looked for it and couldn't find it

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=University of Toronto, cla

Now read the bolded, why is that? And does that not confound things? How did they control calories and macros among the groups?

And I didn't base my statement on personal experience, here you go. They all show little or no effect for CLA on body comp

Beuker F, Haak H, Schwietz H. , editors. CLA and body styling. Symposium: Vitamine und Zusatzstoffe; Jena (Thhr.) 1999

Kreider RB, Ferreira MP, Greenwood M, Wilson M, Almada AL. Effects of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation during resistance training on body composition, bone density, strength, and selected hematological markers. J Strength Cond Res. 2002;16(3):325–34

Malpuech-Brugere C, Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Mensink RP, Arnal MA, Morio B, Brandolini M, Saebo A, Lassel TS, Chardigny JM, Sebedio JL, Beaufrere B. Effects of two conjugated linoleic Acid isomers on body fat mass in overweight humans. Obes Res. 2004;12(4):591–8

Medina EA, Horn WF, Keim NL, Havel PJ, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ, Erickson KL. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on circulating leptin concentrations and appetite. Lipids. 2000;35(7):783–8.

Salas-Salvado J, Marquez-Sandoval F, Bullo M. Conjugated linoleic acid intake in humans: a systematic review focusing on its effect on body composition, glucose, and lipid metabolism. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2006;46(6):479–88.

Von Loeffelholz C. Influence of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) supplementation on body composition and strength in bodybuilders. Jena (Thnr) 1999

Wang YW, Jones PJ. Conjugated linoleic acid and obesity control: efficacy and mechanisms. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004;28(8):941–55

Zambell KL, Keim NL, Van Loan MD, Gale B, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on body composition and energy expenditure. Lipids. 2000;35(7):777–82
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Acg67 - now don't go confusing all the hype and mythology by injecting facts and actual scientific studies into the mix! :bigsmile:
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I use CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Acid), Green Tea Extract.. CLA has mostly positive reviews nothing recent.. some buff folks say they don't like it but its worked really well for me and I'm 5' 5" 184lbs.

I use a kit by Genuine Health that combines them both (abs+ & lean+ extra strength). I don't know if they have products in USA but I've used their products on and off for years and they work well for me. My doctor OK'd it and I've lost 2" already because of healthy eating, exercise and the CLA. This is my first time having to use CLA so I definitely see the difference in weight/fat loss after having two kids.

Im very intersted in theis CLA - what is the use and what have the results been????

Now read the bolded, why is that? And does that not confound things? How did they control calories and macros among the groups?

And I didn't base my statement on personal experience, here you go. They all show little or no effect for CLA on body comp

Beuker F, Haak H, Schwietz H. , editors. CLA and body styling. Symposium: Vitamine und Zusatzstoffe; Jena (Thhr.) 1999

Kreider RB, Ferreira MP, Greenwood M, Wilson M, Almada AL. Effects of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation during resistance training on body composition, bone density, strength, and selected hematological markers. J Strength Cond Res. 2002;16(3):325–34

Malpuech-Brugere C, Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Mensink RP, Arnal MA, Morio B, Brandolini M, Saebo A, Lassel TS, Chardigny JM, Sebedio JL, Beaufrere B. Effects of two conjugated linoleic Acid isomers on body fat mass in overweight humans. Obes Res. 2004;12(4):591–8

Medina EA, Horn WF, Keim NL, Havel PJ, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ, Erickson KL. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on circulating leptin concentrations and appetite. Lipids. 2000;35(7):783–8.

Salas-Salvado J, Marquez-Sandoval F, Bullo M. Conjugated linoleic acid intake in humans: a systematic review focusing on its effect on body composition, glucose, and lipid metabolism. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2006;46(6):479–88.

Von Loeffelholz C. Influence of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) supplementation on body composition and strength in bodybuilders. Jena (Thnr) 1999

Wang YW, Jones PJ. Conjugated linoleic acid and obesity control: efficacy and mechanisms. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004;28(8):941–55

Zambell KL, Keim NL, Van Loan MD, Gale B, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on body composition and energy expenditure. Lipids. 2000;35(7):777–82

It has been published in Journal of Herbs, Spices & Medicinal Plants 2006 on pgs 67 to 76.. maybe you should purchase a copy. Or come to the University and ask the Doctors themselves. I really think more research needs to be done because none of the American studies I've read on CLA even suggest that any of the studies mention specific info on the weight ranges of people who are considered obese/overweight, nor the body types, diet (other than they were permitted to eat crap food), possible thyroid issues, etc? All the studies outside of the US have suggested that CLA MAY**** help change body composition along with diet and exercise. None of the studies I've ever read from any country state what kind of body fat CLA can reduce if any.. viseral fat? And to be honest, its hard to take most American studies seriously as they only study American people who eat American food.. food, obesity percentage and lifestyle are different in so many other countries.

There is simply not enough proof either way so I'm willing to compromise. I am genuinely empathetic when I say I'm sorry that you spent money and it didn't work for you and for the others here who didn't benefit. But from my personal experience, I've lost 10" in total in the last 9 days since I've been taking it. Three years ago without CLA, I was much younger and lost "weight" but never truly lost body fat and I worked my a- off.

It's too bad everyone is so busy trying to prove me wrong instead of congratulating those who have had success with it. lol

"Researchers found that obese people who took the supplement for one year did not lose any more weight than those who took a placebo."

WebMD, the place people go when they are too cheap and lazy to go to a doctor.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    The only thing I take is protein (shake or bar) after I work out, a good multivitamin and vitamin B. I do love me some caffeine but that's just my am coffee.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    The only thing I take is protein after I work out, a good multivitamin and vitamin B. I do love me some caffeine but that's just my am coffee.

Good advice here ^
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Protein containing whole foods

Caffeine

Best and cheapest advice.

I'll add an Omega 3 to that.
    Helps with DOMS as well as a slew of other benefits towards fat loss.
  • JNick77
    Options

It has been published in Journal of Herbs, Spices & Medicinal Plants 2006 on pgs 67 to 76.. maybe you should purchase a copy. Or come to the University and ask the Doctors themselves. I really think more research needs to be done because none of the American studies I've read on CLA even suggest that any of the studies mention specific info on the weight ranges of people who are considered obese/overweight, nor the body types, diet (other than they were permitted to eat crap food), possible thyroid issues, etc? All the studies outside of the US have suggested that CLA MAY**** help change body composition along with diet and exercise. None of the studies I've ever read from any country state what kind of body fat CLA can reduce if any.. viseral fat? And to be honest, its hard to take most American studies seriously as they only study American people who eat American food.. food, obesity percentage and lifestyle are different in so many other countries.

There is simply not enough proof either way so I'm willing to compromise. I am genuinely empathetic when I say I'm sorry that you spent money and it didn't work for you and for the others here who didn't benefit. But from my personal experience, I've lost 10" in total in the last 9 days since I've been taking it. Three years ago without CLA, I was much younger and lost "weight" but never truly lost body fat and I worked my a- off.

It's too bad everyone is so busy trying to prove me wrong instead of congratulating those who have had success with it. lol

WebMD, the place people go when they are too cheap and lazy to go to a doctor.

Actually I've read several medical journal abstracts indicating that research with CLA was not useful in Fat Loss. However, go look-up Raspberry Ketones, that actually showed some promise. I'm fairly certain that ACG goes to the same place I do, PubMed.Com. Basically it publishes all kinds of medical research and there's plenty there that denounces any value of CLA. There's no need to get rude in this thread either.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Actually I've read several medical journal abstracts indicating that research with CLA was not useful in Fat Loss. However, go look-up Raspberry Ketones, that actually showed some promise. I'm fairly certain that ACG goes to the same place I do, PubMed.Com. Basically it publishes all kinds of medical research and there's plenty there that denounces any value of CLA. There's no need to get rude in this thread either.

I will check that out, I appreciate your input :)

Sorry but that's how I feel about WebMD. Any question I have, I see a doctor and never rely on sites like WebMD. Its really irrelevant to me since I'm not American.

Sorry if you feel its rude but I really don't appreciate certain people picking my posts to tell me how ineffective CLA is when other people posted about it too lol. Noticed a few people doing this kind of stuff on the forums (not to me but to anyone who says this works or this doesn't work), not supportive or helpful and honestly, it looks like their jealous.

Good luck OP and to the other poster who asked about supplements and CLA. I really hope they find something that works for them whether it'd be coffee or just eating clean
  • JNick77
    Options

I will check that out, I appreciate your input :)

Sorry but that's how I feel about WebMD. Any question I have, I see a doctor and never rely on sites like WebMD. Its really irrelevant to me since I'm not American.

Sorry if you feel its rude but I really don't appreciate certain people picking my posts to tell me how ineffective CLA is when other people posted about it too lol. Noticed a few people doing this kind of stuff on the forums (not to me but to anyone who says this works or this doesn't work), not supportive or helpful and honestly, it looks like their jealous.

Good luck OP and to the other poster who asked about supplements and CLA. I really hope they find something that works for them whether it'd be coffee or just eating clean

Unfortunately sometimes with supplements users create their own false positive. They start a diet, start exercising, add some supplements and because they've created a good diet plan and exercise regimine they're losing weight. It's not uncommon to associate success with a supplement. I actually messed up and fell into a trap recently where I changed my diet and decided to try a supplement that a nutrition expert recommended and now I'm not sure what was the source, the diet change or the supplement addition. My gut tells me the diet change but I won't know now because I initiated both stimuli at the same time. DOH!

There are really very few useful supplements and often some of the most useful are really the most simple. :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You know, I thought we might be able to have an intelligent discussion, but I think that is beyond you.
    I really think more research needs to be done because none of the American studies I've read on CLA even suggest that any of the studies mention specific info on the weight ranges of people who are considered obese/overweight, nor the body types, diet (other than they were permitted to eat crap food), possible thyroid issues, etc?

Actually they do mention body comp in all the studies I've seen and yes they also screen for medical issues and don't include them in the studies. As for body types, I assume you mean the voodoo nonsense that are somatotypes? And the food they eat has little or no bearing, calories and macros matte, the names of the food do not.
    And to be honest, its hard to take most American studies seriously as they only study American people who eat American food.. food, obesity percentage and lifestyle are different in so many other countries.

Lollercoaster, tell me physiologically how Americans differ from let's say Canadians that would discredit studiesdone on Americans?
    But from my personal experience, I've lost 10" in total in the last 9 days since I've been taking it.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc, look it up if you don't know what it means

Interestingly enough the study you continue to reference is found right on the page of a certain weight loss product, and if you were to look at the study it's funded by the same company that sells the product. Crazy how that works, supp company funds a study and the product gets amazing results. It is obvious they were not controlling cals or macros if 60% of the placebo group gained or did not lose weight and 70% of the supp group lost weight. Also there is no mention of how exactly they measured body fat.
  • girlcube
    girlcube Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    BCAA supplements are great! OP can try this as well. I personally don't them all the time but they do help for after the workout.

Is coffee good for you? Serious question here. It's not something I looked into because I hate coffee but I'm curious to know what you know :)

I love BCAAs. I used to get the goofy kind you drink with the very macho sounding names, but now I just get gel-caps. They"re much easier to deal with

. I've no idea if coffee is "good" for you, but I like to workout in a fasted state and it helps give me a kick in the *kitten*. Its also a tasty appetite suppressant.
  • 9patchmargaret
    9patchmargaret Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you have a question regarding supplements would not the most prudent idea be to consult a registered dietician or doctor specializing in weight loss? I suspect the cost of the visit would be balanced by saving money spent buying chemicals that may not be appropriate for you.:bigsmile: .