really is it that bad to go over your vitamin c and protein?

Options
Shouldn't I really just watch my sodium and sugars and fats?

Replies

• TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It's not bad at all. MFP has some crazy settings for some reason.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    Vitamin C can cause loss of tooth enamel. But that is going WAY overboard. So unless you are taking a vitamin with 10,000% of your daily value I think you are fine.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I almost always go over on my protein, with no ill effects. And I've always heard that Vitamin C is totally water soluble so if you get too much of it in your system you either sweat it out or pee it out, so no worries there,
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    If you take a Vitamin C supplement then your bowels will tell you if you are overdoing it. Gross but true.

Too much protein can be poisonous, check out 'rabbit starvation', but in all likelihood you won't be eating enough of it to get to that stage.

My diet is 65% fat so I'll guess I'll back out of the macronutrient ratio debate and go back to my bacon ;)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If you take a Vitamin C supplement then your bowels will tell you if you are overdoing it. Gross but true.

Too much protein can be poisonous, check out 'rabbit starvation', but in all likelihood you won't be eating enough of it to get to that stage.

My diet is 65% fat so I'll guess I'll back out of the macro-nutrient ratio debate and go back to my bacon ;)

This^ (except the rabbit starvation part - people following MFP preset guidelines won't be getting enough protein so can't possibly have too much, even if they go over alot! But DeadVim is right, lots of protein without fat is not good.)

As soon as I learned that I could adjust my macro-nutrient goals on MFP, then I fell in love! 60 fat, 30 protein, 10 carb (but usually go over, especially cuz they don't deduct the fibre).

if you are eating healthy fat, I would only watch the sugar. Your sodium won't be high unless you eat lots of processed foods. Just my opinion; I'll go back to my "bacon" too.
  • Jazmyn28
    Jazmyn28 Posts: 37
    Options
    I don't take a supplement and apples and grapes are the culprits for throwing me over my pre set vitamin c goals.. I had a turkey sandwich and a chicken breast today and it threw me over for protein.. I'm not sure of what's considered "healthy fats" but I know what isn't so I'm just gonna stear clear of those and I should be alright lol..
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    No. Viatmin C should have an unlimited option. It is impossible to get too much vitamin c, your body will simply flush out whatever it doesn't need, and you don't store extras in your cells or organs so you have to keep eating more to stay healthy.

And the protein counts are way too low on MFP, IMO. Try to eat .75 grams of protein for every pound of body weight. So if you weigh 200 pounds, aim for 150 grams of protein a day (200 x 0.75= 150). BUT! If you have a medical condition like gout, ask your doctor what is a safe amount of protein to consume.
  • Avistew
    Avistew Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As soon as I learned that I could adjust my macro-nutrient goals on MFP, then I fell in love!

How do you do that? I didn't realise it was an option.

As for the OP, I'm not sure how much Vitamin C you'd need to have too much of it, but believe me, it's a LOT so I wouldn't worry about it. As for protein, it can be bad for your kidneys and liver if you go over 1.5g per pound you weigh, and even then, if you're a professional athlete followed by a doctor, they often raise it to 2g/lb. And most people couldn't reach that amount if they wanted without taking huge supplements.

So, basically, don't worry about it.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I don't take a supplement and apples and grapes are the culprits for throwing me over my pre set vitamin c goals.. I had a turkey sandwich and a chicken breast today and it threw me over for protein.. I'm not sure of what's considered "healthy fats" but I know what isn't so I'm just gonna stear clear of those and I should be alright lol..

Healthy fats are mostly from vegetables. I'm not sold on canola being a healthy fat, it is too heavily processed to be considered part of a "clean" diet. Other fats to avoid are anything that is a trans fat or partially-hydrogenated oils.

The best fats to pick are from natural vegetable sources like olive oil or macadamia nut oil. Grapeseed oil is great for high temp cooking as is peanut oil.

Fatty fish are some of the best sources of dietary fat. Salmon, tuna and sardines are all very good for you.

Small portions of saturated fat is also healthy (just don't over do it). You can find saturated fat in red meat, chicken and diary products.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I only watch transfat and saturated fats. I go over my preset protein level almost every day. You need protein for energy and to feel full. I am picky about where it comes from though.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Why would you bother measureing vitamin C? Whatever you don't use, your body will excrete. Tjhere is no toxicity to having too much. There is really no need to measure and manage anything more than protien, fats and carbs. No need to track sugar. It is a carb. If you are within your carb target who cares about sugar. It all becomes glucose anyway.

Protien should be about .8 grams to 1 gram per lb of lean body mass if you are working out. Less if not. And fats at at least .35 grams per lb of body weight. Can be slightly more with no harm. Fats do not make you fat so no worries. Let carbs fall where they so after the other 2 are set. No need to make this more complicated than nessesary.