Are all calories created equal?

Options
If I burn the same number of calories two completely different ways do they still 'count' the same?

I used to run for 30 minutes at between 5 and 6 mph (slow, I know) and I burned about 280 calories with my heart rate around 150-165. Lately though I've been setting the incline to between 10% and 13% (pretty steep!) and the speed between 3.5 and 4.2 mph, meaning that I am WALKING, not running or jogging. Doing this, my heart rate is around 145-160 and I burn about 575 calories because I go for an hour. If I did 30 minutes, it would be pretty close to the same as my running burn.

My question is: am I doing just as much good by only walking? Or is running better no matter what? I weigh 123 pounds, am 5'8, and I have no knee issues (so I could run, I just hate it).

Note: please don't reply that I should get off the treadmill and go outside. I spend a TON of time outside mountain biking, kayaking, walking, and generally adventuring. I like the treadmill because it keeps a fixed pace and time, and it tells me exactly how many calories I've burned. Thanks :)

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    If I burn the same number of calories two completely different ways do they still 'count' the same?

I used to run for 30 minutes at between 5 and 6 mph (slow, I know) and I burned about 280 calories with my heart rate around 150-165. Lately though I've been setting the incline to between 10% and 13% (pretty steep!) and the speed between 3.5 and 4.2 mph, meaning that I am WALKING, not running or jogging. Doing this, my heart rate is around 145-160 and I burn about 575 calories because I go for an hour. If I did 30 minutes, it would be pretty close to the same as my running burn.

My question is: am I doing just as much good by only walking? Or is running better no matter what? I weigh 123 pounds, am 5'8, and I have no knee issues (so I could run, I just hate it).

Note: please don't reply that I should get off the treadmill and go outside. I spend a TON of time outside mountain biking, kayaking, walking, and generally adventuring. I like the treadmill because it keeps a fixed pace and time, and it tells me exactly how many calories I've burned. Thanks :)

The short answer is yes; whether you burn 1,000 calories jogging or 1,000 calories deadlifting 1,000 calories is a 1,000 calories, is a 1,000 calories. Now with that being said, the type of exercise you're doing has different health benefits. For example, sprinting versus jogging, powerlifting versus tabata, Shake Weight versus Masterbating, and so on. Sorry, had to throw that one in there. LOL
  • metalvegan
    metalvegan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Now with that being said, the type of exercise you're doing has different health benefits.

Elaborate?
  • JNick77
    Options
    Now with that being said, the type of exercise you're doing has different health benefits.

Elaborate?

So, more like...

Sprinting vs Marathon running: Sprinting gets your heart rate up, helps you to build speed, whereas marathon running is more about endurance and a consistent heart rate.

Powerlifting vs. Bodybuilding-style training: Powerlifting focuses on maximal strength imrpovement which helps train the body to push/pull heavier loads by improving both muscular and neural strength. Bodybuilding-style lifting is more about improving muscle size than gaining absolute strength.
  • stephenmarbut
    Options
    I think what JNick is trying to say is that certain types of exercise can create large muscles, others might not... but those others might improve the person's stamina more than others. Consider the extremes - a bodybuilder burning calories in the gym, and a marathoner burning calories on the streets. Both will burn tons of calories and both benefit, but they end up with very different bodies.

Pretty sure this was my first post ever. EDIT: (it was)
  • billyh333
    billyh333 Posts: 213
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie, goes the popular mantra. But now doctors and dieticians might have to eat those words.

Researchers have found that not all calories are created equal and that the types of calories you eat, particularly after losing weight, can have a profound effect on how efficiently your body burns calories and keeps off unwanted pounds.

The ideal diet that promotes a fast metabolism —that is, your body's ability to quickly burn off calories — as well as promotes long-term health in terms of disease-free organs appears to be (surprise!) fresh vegetables and whole grains or any foods that reduce the surge of blood sugar after a meal. Hope this is helpful
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie, goes the popular mantra. But now doctors and dieticians might have to eat those words.

Researchers have found that not all calories are created equal and that the types of calories you eat, particularly after losing weight, can have a profound effect on how efficiently your body burns calories and keeps off unwanted pounds.

The ideal diet that promotes a fast metabolism —that is, your body's ability to quickly burn off calories — as well as promotes long-term health in terms of disease-free organs appears to be (surprise!) fresh vegetables and whole grains or any foods that reduce the surge of blood sugar after a meal. Hope this is helpful

Nice copy and paste did you even read the question?
  • yoobie
    yoobie Posts: 16
    Options
    These are the different training zones my HRM (Omron) came up with.

60%-70%: weight management zone -has the lowest training intensity. This zone is good for beginners and those who want to strengthen their cardiovascular systems.
    70%-80%: aerobic zone -increases strength and endurance. It works within the body's oxygen intake capability, burns more calories and can last longer.
    80%-90%: anaerobic threshold zone -generates speed and power. It works at or above the body's oxygen intake capability, builds more muscle and cannot be maintained for a long time.

Don't know if this is helps at all... Depending on what kind of body you want, you should choose the zones you want to be within. Seems like you're pretty much in great shape already, and looking to tone up? Also, I know that some exercises have the infamous "afterburn" effect (which I am honestly not too into), but if you want to look that up you should!
  • JNick77
    Options

Oh for sure but that's a different topic entirely. I think she meant burning exercise calories but I completely agree with you. I mean eating 1,000 calories of carrot cake versus eating 1,000 calories of grilled chicken, sweet potatoes, ezekiel bread, and some almond butter are two totally different things. FYI, that was my breakfast/post-workout meal this morning to start my 8-hour eating window. :)
    I think what JNick is trying to say is that certain types of exercise can create large muscles, others might not... but those others might improve the person's stamina more than others.

Yeah, basically that. If you burn 1,000 calories doing a jog or 1,000 calories doing weight training you've still burned 1,000 calories but the exercise has different benefit to your body. Although we can argue the benefit of marathon running. I'd prefer to look like a sprinter any day of the week. :)
  • billyh333
    Options
    good job jnick77

Oh for sure but that's a different topic entirely. I think she meant burning exercise calories but I completely agree with you. I mean eating 1,000 calories of carrot cake versus eating 1,000 calories of grilled chicken, sweet potatoes, ezekiel bread, and some almond butter are two totally different things. FYI, that was my breakfast/post-workout meal this morning to start my 8-hour eating window. :)
    I think what JNick is trying to say is that certain types of exercise can create large muscles, others might not... but those others might improve the person's stamina more than others.

Yeah, basically that. If you burn 1,000 calories doing a jog or 1,000 calories doing weight training you've still burned 1,000 calories but the exercise has different benefit to your body. Although we can argue the benefit of marathon running. I'd prefer to look like a sprinter any day of the week. :)
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    For example, sprinting versus jogging, powerlifting versus tabata, Shake Weight versus Masterbating, and so on. Sorry, had to throw that one in there. LOL

I died laughing, nice one! Thanks for the giggle.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Yes and No!
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Just make sure your getting alot of clean foods you might be able to fit some "dirty food" in aswell but definatley eat clean I'd only do this on a bulk though eat clean all the time while cutting
  • metalvegan
    Options
    I think what JNick is trying to say is that certain types of exercise can create large muscles, others might not... but those others might improve the person's stamina more than others. Consider the extremes - a bodybuilder burning calories in the gym, and a marathoner burning calories on the streets. Both will burn tons of calories and both benefit, but they end up with very different bodies.

Hmmm... as a girl though, I don't really want "large muscles". That is, in fact, kind of the opposite of what I'm going for. So do I go for lower intensity / longer time? Or do the strength benefits outweigh??

I don't wanna look like that sprinter... though I would like to look AT him ;)
  • JNick77
    Options

Hmmm... as a girl though, I don't really want "large muscles". That is, in fact, kind of the opposite of what I'm going for. So do I go for lower intensity / longer time? Or do the strength benefits outweigh??

It's highly unlikely you'd put on any substantial mass by strength training. You'd have to eat an excessive amount of calories and have some pretty high testosterone production for a woman and likely go through some cycles of your steroid of choice.
  • metalvegan
    Options

It's highly unlikely you'd put on any substantial mass by strength training. You'd have to eat an excessive amount of calories and have some pretty high testosterone production for a woman and likely go through some cycles of your steroid of choice.

Oh. Lol... good. So maybe I should go back to running and include more weight training.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Oh. Lol... good. So maybe I should go back to running and include more weight training.

That would be a very good idea. You look great by the way, just noticed your pic. :love:
  • billyh333
    Options
    I think you look amazing now from your pics and if you want the best cardio workout jump rope burns fat at about 150 calories for 10 minutes and jump start your heart rate very fast and is a lot less hard on your body
  • billyh333
    Options
    Lmaol that's what I just said

That would be a very good idea. You look great by the way, just noticed your pic. :love:
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Burning calories is something that must be understood so you can determine if you are burning the same calories with both exercises or not. I don't think is about what is better or not but when you are jogging you are essentially burning more calories because there are more muscle cells activated. Try not to think about calorie burning based on how fast your heart is beating because your heart can beat fast with two different activities but if another activity in theory has more muscle cells activated then that activity is essentially burning more calories.

Lifting weights for example doesn't burn a lot of calories cause only a few muscle cells are activated, therefore fewer calories burned. Now when you are running, most of your muscle are in motion. Your facial muscles, back, abdominals and etc. This means that more muscle cells are activated and therefore you are burning more calories.

Facts:

Calorie burning is determined by the number of muscle cells that are activated to perform an activity. These cells use energy which is what you know as calorie, consume a great deal of oxygen. When your muscles or muscle cells need more energy and oxygen then your heart beat starts increasing to send all of this via the blood stream.

Update:

Now high intensity interval training is something you may want to consider which gives you the best of both words. The duration of your cardio sessions are important but as we discussed, the more muscle cells that are activated the more you burn. The less muscles cells that are activated the less you burn. HIIT allows you to train intense for maybe 20 seconds then take it easy for 30-35 seconds and you can do this pretty much for a cardio session. You can possibly burn as many calories as you would if your cardio were to be longer.