Not hungry, way under in calories. What to do?

Options
Need advice/suggestions.

I'm using MFP for two weeks or so and everything was fine until now. The last couple of days I'm almost not hungry during the day. I can eat breakfast without a problem, lunch goes a bit forced but dinner or even an afternoon snack - no way I can eat that and feel comfortable. I have to force myself to drink my protein shake in the evening!
I try to eat healthy but I don't get enough calories from what I prepare. I am simply not hungry. I can force myself to eat but that seems to be harsh on the body, which (I think) sends me the signal that it's full and needs no more food.
I am confused. Did any of you, Dear MFP-ers had such a problem?
What would you suggest to do in that situation?

I know it may pass and I might get hungry even tomorrow, but I tend to worry and think about the future to make a solution prepared in case the situation won't dissolve easily and soon.

Thanks in advance for any ideas that can help!

Replies

• MizzTatiana
    MizzTatiana Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Same here... past week or so I come in at less than 1000 calories. I'm not hungry. It seems like I'm eating pretty balanced. But lately I'm seeing no results (down to my last 10 lbs) and I'm wondering if it's because I'm not eating enough? If I eat more calories though I notice the scale hates me the next day... So I got nothing for you Derinq, just some similar concerns and some sympathy... :/
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that people with this problem usually aren't eating enough fat, and at <30g/day, you are no exception.

Fat is more calorie dense and less satiating than protein or carbs. You should be able to add a serving or so of nuts to each of your meals. At ~200 calories per serving, this should get you where you need to be
  • Derinq
    Derinq Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Fat might be a good idea to add, as you said - it is dense in calories, but I'm always afraid to go over with that - in general I stay below in carbs and in fat and do my best to at least be close with the protein part. Gonna have to think that one through. Thanks FireBrand.
    And MizzTatiana - thank you for the sympathy. Maybe we'll both learn how to solve that issue :)
  • Derinq
    Options
    Bump! Anyone has other ideas? :)
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Curious, I too have this problem sometimes.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Sadly - I usually have this problem. :[
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am the same, but I don't see it as necessarily a problem. I just try to listen to my body. Sometimes it wants more and sometimes it wants less. Depends also on how active I am. I don't think the body is designed to automatically require the same number of calories every day.
  • ElPatoLoco
    ElPatoLoco Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    hmm dunno about the fat thing... couple of years ago I did Atkins (I know, I know... but it worked brilliantly the first time)... 2nd time I tried it I completely lost ALL appetite after a week... just never felt like eating, never got hungry... was kinda weird actually... was almost having to make myself eat regularly but I also noticed I wasn't losing any more weight...

Bearing in mind that diet was predominantly fat and protein with as little as 6g of carb a day, I'm not sure that just adding fat to the diet will necessarily change things... but hey I'm also not a nutritionist, doctor or dietician... so I guess trying it for a couple of days couldn't hurt...

If it persists though I'd recommend seeking professional advice rather than relying on the pseudo-science that swamps MFP forums... especially of you notice other significant changes in your health...
  • Derinq
    Options
    Thanks guys for the input!
    @opuntia - it might not be a bad thing, but not even having the need for 1k calories gets me thinking ;) I know that it won't require the same amount of calories - I eat different things, move in different amounts, so it's true that listening to the body is great. But not feeling hungry at all... just makes me wonder.
    @ElPatoLoco - if it comes to health changes, I will look for a professional advice, but at this point I was just curious if anyone has the problem and if/how they solve it :) Thank you for the info on atkins diet - I was never a dieter before, so the only things I know about typical diets is from people that have experience with them. Grateful for the share!

Thank you everyone for adding your thoughts!
  • llstacy
    llstacy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Fat is absolutely essential to be healthy and 30% is the minimum to be healthy. Put some butter on your vegetables, cook with coconut oil or maybe an olive oil based salad dressing to your salads. Your food will taste better, you'll meet your calorie goals and provide your body with the fat it needs.
  • MizzTatiana
    MizzTatiana Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    What is being said about the Atkins things gets me wondering because when I first started this whole weight loss thing... I started with the HCG diet. I.E Little/no carbs, TONS of protein and non starchy fresh fruits and veggies... and a VERY LIMITED CALORIC intake. I long since ended that journey, which lead into working out regularly and naturally eating less, and for the most part I have given up all carbs. I still have plenty of fats in my diet (love a chicken thigh!) On the HCG diet I did lose about 18 lbs in 2/3 months. (for those wondering, I doubt it was the supplement so much as it was the diet that did it for me) Sooo... since that's (one) underlying thing Derinq and I have in common... maybe it's something worth looking deeper into? Keep us posted Derinq!
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    Fat is absolutely essential to be healthy and 30% is the minimum to be healthy. Put some butter on your vegetables, cook with coconut oil or maybe an olive oil based salad dressing to your salads. Your food will taste better, you'll meet your calorie goals and provide your body with the fat it needs.
    I second this.
    If you feel like you aren't getting enough throughout the day, but you're feeling full, make sure you cook with things that are at least in the "good fats" category. It won't hurt & it will boost your calorie count. Try to at least get above 1200 so your body doesn't go into freak-out mode. Health is key!
  • Derinq
    Options
    Doing what I can to stay at 1300 most of the time, but still gets tricky. I add more olive oil to my cooking (I did fry without any fat whatsoever), so it's easier. And I guess it's time to dig up my good ol' fish oil capsules :)
    Thanks everyone for input!